assistance needed with receiver choice - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 02-24-2013, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hello all, i am a long time reader but with an admittedly low post count, i prefer to soak up the knowledge then add useless info. anyway i have to rebuild my current system from the ground up. i need to start with a 7.1 receiver i had my heart set on a onkyo 818 or a elite sc63.
i want to spend about $900 and have know issue buying used. i actually prefer it. here are a list of my needs
1. 4 or more hdmi no need for 3d pass through
2 pre amp outs
3 some sort of room correction but no brand pref
4 some sort of way to make adjustments to individual video inputs
5 no negative effects on video this is a big one to me
6 no need for any video up conversion
7 lossless audio decoding
8 some sort of night time mode
9 internet radio or media streaming would be nice but not a must
10 lip sync delay adjustments
11. dont care about zones
12 no real power requirements my room is open 27x16 but the listening area is about 14 x 16. i never really listen loud im either going with aperion verus grand bookshelves or monitor audio rx2 silver monitor . if i ever upgrade to towers i plan to get outboard amps.
13 i plan to do a decent room treatment
14 my previous set up was a carver 2x125 amp and pre amp (worked at circuit city) and b&w cdm1se. so i do have a decent expectation of sound quality

any suggestion from the gurus ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-24-2013, 10:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 65
I'm no guru. In fact, any advice I give may also be construed as "adding useless info". smile.gif

that said, let's look at your 14 points. I'd like to start at :

14. previous set up seems irrelevant , as you're posting because you want something else. (sorry you had to work @BB ), and yes, having a want for better sound quality is why many of us are here, but no, if you've only listened to what they sold, set up and auditioned in their store, doesn't really give you much knowledge as to how it would sound in your room. You would be VERY knowledgeable in what sounds better in a Best Buy showroom, though.

13. when you do room treatments, then make adjustments to what you have, based on what changes those treatments make. until then...you're not there yet.

12. look only at the size of the entire open space, not the 'listening area'... the sound waves don't stay in that smaller space. more relevant to lower frequencies,.. you can set 2 speakers up on the 50 yard line of your closest football field, sit in front of them, and get good sound. When you look at the lower frequencies, and being able to pressurize your listening area, room size rules. That's a large room. Are there openings to other rooms? count that too.

11. you dont care... then it doesn't matter.

10. I believe most current AVR's offer this... not sure on this one. I do know the 818 offers the ability to set that sync at a + or a -, which effectively can delay the audio OR advance the audio (delay the video ? ) greater minds can chime in on this one. wink.gif

9. not a must.... then it's not a deciding factor.

8. like a dimmer for the display? or eliminating wall shaking bass? or a volume knob? ( sorry, couldn't resist). Your other requirements will eliminate lower level AVR's that wouldn't have this ability to lower the bass ( tone controls?)... so that's not a concern. see below...

7. eliminates very low end, or older units... not a huge deal. see below...

6. no video upconversion doesn't eliminate any options. All AVR's are capable of that.

5. related to above... just run video direct, and audio to the AVR. If you bypass it, it can't have a negative effect.

4. what are you trying to 'adjust', if you don't want video up-conversion, bypass the AVR and make video adjustments in your display, be it a TV or a projector... or look at your sources, and make 'tweaks' there. besides, see below...

3. so don't buy anything that doesn't have some sort of room correction. You won't anyway, because you'll be severely limited in your choices by:

2. pre-outs , aren't found in the lower end offerings from any manufacturer. Any AVR that has these will have #'s 3, 4, 7, and 8 covered anyway.

1... see #2 above... satisfy that 'requirement' and this one isn't an issue.

so, what don't you like about the 818? easily covers what you want... and then some. IMO, YMMV

Joseph

It's for 'wall hung dude', and no, I don't need any help to 'hook-up'.... sheesh ... dirty minds around these parts....
post #3 of 5 Old 02-24-2013, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
thanks for the reply . i only mentioned so many points because i have seen when someone makes a post and does not say what features they are looking for they are automatically told to give specifics. the only reason i am replacing my current equipment is because i no longer have it and to give a history of what i have owned and that i was not coming from a a background of junk where anything else would sound better. as far as what else i have listened to the list is to long but it was also 10 years ago when i bought the cdm1. there are no longer any audio stores in my area so i will be purchasing all equipment online. and i simply dont have time to travel to areas that do still have b&m stores. i wish i did.

the room size info and the treatments i assumed that i would treat once and no matter the speaker setup as long as position did not change i would be good with that

yes i meant tweaks to the video signal. i have uverse and the settings for that and my ps3 etc are very different. i could use my harmony 1100 to change video modes but believe the color points on some of the modes are very inaccurate

thanks

im on phone right now will post more later
post #4 of 5 Old 02-24-2013, 11:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 65
I do appreciate where you're coming from. I can really only comment based on what I have experience with, which isn't a whole lot... smile.gif There are much more knowledgeable minds here, and I don't want to step on anyone's toes.

That kind of post, with 14 levels, isn't easy to answer. I tried.
Your response doesn't have any ??, just statements. Is there anything specific you'd like me to try to expound on?

My advise... don't buy used. Get the full factory warranty offered with new. use a credit card that gives an extra year of warranty, and then look at an extended warranty, if that is important to you, to add even more coverage, at extra cost.

The 818 looks like the best option, to me, to stay under your stated budget of $900. No matter which you choose, you will have to make compromises...

It's for 'wall hung dude', and no, I don't need any help to 'hook-up'.... sheesh ... dirty minds around these parts....
post #5 of 5 Old 02-26-2013, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrep1 View Post

8 some sort of night time mode
It's 2:30am here, at the moment, all is quiet, and I'm listening to a TV movie at -40dB using a newly discovered mode on my SC-1522 (SC-65). Sounds really good at low volume. In the day, the loudest I go is -20dB, which isn't terribly loud. I'm using "Optimum surround" (an alternative to "Automatic Level Control"), with "Wide Surround Movie" mode (uses Front Wide speakers). The SC-1522 is $100 over your price point now on Amazon, but the model you mention, SC-63, might work just as well for this. I don't know whether my Pio model adjusts video individually for each input, since I haven't experimented with that, but it seems to have the other features you need.

Greg Lee
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors