New reciever - where do I start - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-26-2013, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I want to get my dad a new reciever. Currently they are using my old Pioneer elite 811 from about 8 yrs ago doesnt even have HDMI. So far with A LOT of help over the years from this community i have them with a 3.1 set up with Andrew Jones center and fronts, a BIC F12 sub, Samsung LCD TV that was mid level 2 yrs ago(cant remember the model number), Tivo premiere (elite)XL4, Basic LG blue ray(hardly use they basiclly do amazon on demand for movies though). In the future I would like to get them them rear surrounds but being they dont want to run wires that will come if and when good wireless surround speaker are descently priced.

I just dont know where to start. Right now my budget would be pretty low in the $200-250 range maybe pushing to $300 for something that would really fit their needs. Has there been game changing tech in the last year or so if not shoudl I consider used. What features are must have these days as to not make it outdated like my old pioneer became after HDMI became the standard. Should I hold off till his bday when I will be able to buy him a more expensive one. Suggestion or directions to as post/article the could give me some guidance would great.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2013, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 163
For $299 with free shipping:
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENAVR1712/DENON-AVR-1712-7.1-A/V-Surround-Receiver/1.html

For $319 with free shipping:
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENAVR1713/DENON-AVR-1713-5.1ch-Networking-Receiver-w/AirPlay-3D-Ready/1.html
Old 02-27-2013, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you. I also looked at the 1613 could you answer any the questions i had about the two in this post?

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1460532/denon-1713-vs-1613
Old 02-27-2013, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 163
At the bottom of this page is a table which details the differences:

http://www.audyssey.com/audio-technology/multeq

Yes, I think it is worth the money. That is why I did not list the more expensive Denon 1912 model. Even though it is considered higher up in the food chain than the 1713, it steps down to the more basic Audyssey MultEQ.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:29 AM

Liked: 11
How old is your dad?

Men in their 40s can barely hear anything above 15kHz, in the 20Hz-20kHz audio spectrum. You can try to test such CD like Denon HiFi Test CD to find out yourself: http://www.tnt-audio.com/topics/denon_cd_e.html

The point: is it really necessary to get expensive AVR if his hearing is now not as good?

Since I have listened to both 1613 and 1713, I'll say either of the two would work for your dad.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:46 AM - Thread Starter

I'm 37 and you sir have just have just depressed me. I get to look forward to no hair, hearing or good vision...hahaha
Old 02-28-2013, 01:36 AM

forget about the wireless speakers! they will not beat the wired speakers if you want the best value for your parents. and i'm talking about years from now. wired speakers are the only option (price-wise and quality-wise) with 5.1 system. when my son came home from his deployment (air force) this summer, he moved out of our house into his own apartment. but before he came home, i already got the 5.1 system from craigslist-- as planned (he could not afford brand new system but he wanted a quality one). he had his hdtv ordered before he came home and we picked it up at bb on the day he moved out. i was so excited to put together a home theater other than mine that i installed it in half a day while he busied himself moving with help of his buddies. when they left, he helped me put together his huge heavy tv stand (entertainment center)-- he actually did it all by himself while i finished the install and calibrating of his system (it's a denon like mine). home depot and lowe's have all the wires and wiremolds that neatly self stick to the walls--burying them is a breeze! all you need are wire cutter or a knife, tape measure, screw driver and the screws to hang your surround speakers. i used 70 feet of gauge 16 wires ( i used a heavier wire for the front). we actually had fun together installing his home theater and enjoyed his first bluray movie that evening. he was amazed at the quality of the sound and i was amazed how i put it together that quick! ha, ha. i know it's intimidating when you think about 30 feet of wires to be buried on each side of the walls. but it's actually easier than you think. thanks.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahlyn View Post

I'm 37 and you sir have just have just depressed me. I get to look forward to no hair, hearing or good vision...hahaha
My apologies if you are seriously depressed smile.gif! I am about 18 years ...senior to you, still have full head of hair, hearing is ok, still desire to have a good HT setup. Recently I tried a few of these Denon models. 1613, 1713, then Marantz 1603, now ended it up its the next level (saving is important but quality of life, when my hearing is still good, is even more important, WTH).

To make a long story short, I'd go with the 1713 as also recommended by many on this (and your other thread). So what if it is another $50, $100 more, your dad certainly deserves that.