Yamaha RX-A710, Need to replace HDMI out port - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 02-26-2013, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My heavy HDMI cable has done a number on the HDMI out port on my RX-A710. Does anyone know where I can buy a replacement port so I can do some surgery and get this thing back on line?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-26-2013, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Does the port damage create a "loose" connection or is it completely non-operable? If it's just a loose connection I've found that port savers like these offer a much more snug fit and help keep HDMI cables firmly connected.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10419&cs_id=1041913&p_id=4859&seq=1&format=2

I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, except not while driving a school bus.
post #3 of 6 Old 02-26-2013, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittperson View Post

My heavy HDMI cable has done a number on the HDMI out port on my RX-A710. Does anyone know where I can buy a replacement port so I can do some surgery and get this thing back on line?

FYI not just any HDMI port will necessarily solder up. Often times the solder patterns vary between connector brands. I don't know what Yamaha used, but I advise you to not just buy the first HDMI connector you see. You may need to open it up and figure out if there's a brand stamped anywhere on the connector.

Heavy cables need to be externally supported at the right angle or you need to use port savers. Lesson learned there I hope.

"Vintage" is good for wine, not for A/V equipment.

-Dan D.
post #4 of 6 Old 02-26-2013, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by holt7153 View Post

Does the port damage create a "loose" connection or is it completely non-operable? If it's just a loose connection I've found that port savers like these offer a much more snug fit and help keep HDMI cables firmly connected.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10419&cs_id=1041913&p_id=4859&seq=1&format=2

It's just loose right now and I've since adjusted the cable layout to take the stress off of the port.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonoMan View Post

FYI not just any HDMI port will necessarily solder up. Often times the solder patterns vary between connector brands. I don't know what Yamaha used, but I advise you to not just buy the first HDMI connector you see. You may need to open it up and figure out if there's a brand stamped anywhere on the connector.

Heavy cables need to be externally supported at the right angle or you need to use port savers. Lesson learned there I hope.

Thanks for the advise. I've just started my search for female HDMI ports, but haven't had any luck finding just a port that can be soldered. Any idea where I can find them? I just want to prepare for the worst should I lose the port entirely, I want to have something on hand.
post #5 of 6 Old 02-26-2013, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonoMan View Post

Thanks for the advice. I've just started the search for a replacement port but am having a heck of a time find a port that can be soldered. Any idea where I might be able to find something? I want to prepare for the worst and have a part on hand should I lose the port entirely. The port is just loose right now and I've since adjusted the setup to take the stress off the port entirely.

Thanks
post #6 of 6 Old 02-27-2013, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
You can try the common electronics sites like Mouser, Digikey, AlliedElec, Newark, etc. I'm not sure what you'll find but those're where I'd start.

"Vintage" is good for wine, not for A/V equipment.

-Dan D.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx A710bl Receiver
Gear in this thread - A710bl by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page