Do certain speakers sound better with certain avr - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 02-26-2013, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I always thought any avr of the same "class" would make the speakers sound the same. I would think a $1000 plus avr would sound better than a $300 one but that's the avr quality making the difference in the sound not making the speakers sounding better. Is this right or stupid?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-26-2013, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Right. The $1000 receiver will sound the same as a $300 receiver unless it has say a better room calibration system.

"Vintage" is good for wine, not for A/V equipment.

-Dan D.
post #3 of 8 Old 02-26-2013, 10:11 PM

Liked: 10
Hmm. Really? So all the chat about sounding different with better AVR is hooey?

Wouldn't better DACs, more power, better pass through make a difference?
post #4 of 8 Old 02-27-2013, 04:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahlyn View Post

I always thought any avr of the same "class" would make the speakers sound the same. I would think a $1000 plus avr would sound better than a $300 one but that's the avr quality making the difference in the sound not making the speakers sounding better. Is this right or stupid?
This is far from the truth. Most AVR's even at the same price point sound different. As far as $1000 AVR vs a $300 AVR usually the $1000.00 will generally sound better due to better amps , DAC's , Pre amp section. But sound quality is a personal thing and no one can claim one AVR "SOUNDS" better then another.

Synergy is what one would look into when selecting a AVR with a given speaker package. Some AVR's sound amazing with some speakers and not so amazing with others. Again this is also a personal opinion and I can't tell you other then how I feel what works well with what.
Now with that being said hearing as many different AVR's with different speaker packages , I have formed some very strong opinions on this matter.

Example.
Pioneer Elite and Definitive Technology , I think this is a excellent matchup.
Denon with Definitive Technology , I think this is a bad match up as the Denon doesn't show off the Def Tech's abilities in Dynamic range.
Yamaha with Klipsch , could go both ways as both are agressive and very dynamic. To some this is a match made in heaven , to others it's ear bleeding.
Denon and Klipsch , this brings many things into balance. The warmth of the Denon rounds out the Klipsch speakers , this is a very nice match for a double duty system.
Pioneer Elite and Klipsch , this is a scary combo is you like goose bumps but with a warm touch to it. The Pioneer has the warmth the Denon has but has alot of the Dynamic range you find in the big boy Yamaha models. Another excellent combo IMO.

B&K and Sonus Faber , high end 2 channel or Theater doesn't matter , this is a magical combo , unfortunately , B&K is no where to be seen anymore and no one knows for sure if they are making a comback or fully out of business. I hear both ways with no proof.

Rotel and B&W , this is another one of those combos that just works , they both play off their strengths and help each other with their very limited weakness which IMO they really don't have any.

Rotel and Dynaudio ,, magic simply magic , for anyone who would want a music first system that watches movies to , this is a serious combo consideration.
B&K and Dynaudio , same as above just a tad warmer and maybe slightly more well rounded. Again MIA on the B&K now.

Bryston and Magnepan , unbelievable realism and power. The Bryston pushes the Maggies to perfection. Want to hear them , this is the way.
Krell and B&W , double duty at it's finest probably in the world. Nothing better then these to together performing these duties. Pick what you like better and the other is just as good as anything on the market at these price points. Magic.

I could go on and on about combos I felt that worked like Yamaha and Mirage , these 2 make the magic together and really bring in the total package. Yamaha and Vienna Acoustics , another magical combo that can really impress for a double duty system.

Want more? Just ask me about your favorite brands and I'll tell you what I think works great with them.
post #5 of 8 Old 02-27-2013, 07:27 AM

Liked: 15
Paradigm and PSB?
post #6 of 8 Old 02-27-2013, 12:49 PM

Liked: 42
I have 2 onkyo AVR's, a TX504 and a TX876. The 504 sounds fine and I was impressed with it for the money. When I got the 876 a year later for my main system, after a while I grew curious as to how the 504(Onkyo's near entry level model) would compare, so I swapped it in. It did well though it only has half the wattage, but what I noticed was a graininess compared to the smoother sounding 876. This is without any room correction or other options, just 2 channel sound. So I'd say you get better quality with the higher end models.
post #7 of 8 Old 02-28-2013, 03:46 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purpose View Post

Paradigm and PSB?
Paradigm do very well with Pioneer ELite SC model , the slighty over the top high's on lets say the Monitor and Studio models mellow out and bring sheer clarity with the Class D amps. I also like the Anthem AVR's with most of their speakers.
One combo that's very nice with the Studio and up models is NAD amps and Integra Preamps. I liked this combo much better then the Anthem setups I've done and a few customers of mine have converted over to this setup. It's cheaper and actually sounds better IMO

PSB speakers go well with many types of AVR's and amps/Pre's. They are a very natural and clear sounding speakers. They are one of the Gem's in our industry. I have nothing but praise for all models. I perfer NAD with PSB as this combo is purely heaven. Yamaha and Pioneer Elite also work very well. Denon does a fine job in the more entry level models but after that I purely lean towards NAD , it's the best fit IMO.
post #8 of 8 Old 02-28-2013, 05:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 1047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shock96 View Post

Hmm. Really? So all the chat about sounding different with better AVR is hooey?

Don't always take it at face value.
Quote:
Wouldn't better DACs, more power, better pass through make a difference?

Not so much.

(1) I have yet to find an AVR with a DAC that is the weakest link in the system.

(2) All mainstream AVR's have power ratings that fall in a +/- 3 dB range, and while that can be audible, its not huge or even all that signficiant.

(3) A DSP set for flat response has no audible effects, and the impact of it being digital is contained by the considerations in item (1)
Quote:
The $1000 receiver will sound the same as a $300 receiver unless it has say a better room calibration system.

Which it almost always does have, especially in the realm of AVRs that are using the various flavors of Audyssey. I see MCACC and YPAO as being somewhat mystery meat.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page