Onkyo refurb from Accessories4Less a safe buy? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 02-26-2013, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
LO4F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: UT
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I was interested in a couple Onkyos from A4L and was really digging the prices for their refurbs... particularly the RC360 and the NR609.

Onkyo HT-RC360
Onkyo TX-NR609

I've become a bit weary from reading about the video issues with certain onkyos and depending on the product, not 100% comfortable with refurbished.

I was planning on buying a new unit (~$500) in the summer, but I could afford to get one of these now with these prices.

I know everyone will have a different experience, but on the whole, is this a pretty safe move?
LO4F is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 Old 02-26-2013, 07:07 PM
Advanced Member
 
wlhungdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Jonesborough, TN
Posts: 575
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 55
From what I've seen, you have about a 98% chance of having no problems with A4L. From my experience, just hope you don't fall into the 2%.
whether you have a problem with the Onkyo unit itself... well it does have a 1 year warranty, and you would be dealing with Onkyo at that point. Even brand new units can have issues. Good luck.
Joseph

If you want a really good one, you'll have to learn a foreign language. german, for instance...
wlhungdude is offline  
post #3 of 13 Old 02-27-2013, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
LO4F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: UT
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
So I guess it is worth asking if Onkyo has fixed most of the video problems or if the refurb units shouldn't have that issue...
The 1 year warranty is a good thing, but I wouldn't want it to bite the dust shortly after that.

I guess I'm fishing for someone to just say buy it.
LO4F is online now  
post #4 of 13 Old 02-27-2013, 12:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
afrogt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 23,027
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 380
I say you get the Denon 1913 refurb for $279 with free shipping.
http://slickdeals.net/f/5878046-Denon-AVR-1913-Refurb-280-shipped-from-DENON-COM

Afro GT
afrogt is offline  
post #5 of 13 Old 02-27-2013, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
LO4F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: UT
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Thank you for the heads up Afro!
I was hoping for a Denon, I've heard better things about their receivers... but they seem to be more expensive for the same features.
But that 1913 fits all my needs and is about the same price after shipping.

Thanks again.
LO4F is online now  
post #6 of 13 Old 02-27-2013, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
LO4F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: UT
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
.....And it is out of stock frown.gif
LO4F is online now  
post #7 of 13 Old 02-27-2013, 01:27 PM
Advanced Member
 
tsaville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: DFW
Posts: 884
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 230
I wouldn't buy a refurb Onkyo. The HDMI issues don't generally start happening until around 18 to 24 months, so a one year warranty wouldn't be very useful. Since the x09 and x10 receivers are still relatively new, it is difficult to say whether Onkyo has addressed the issue (I have seen a few HDMI failures on x09 receivers, none for x10 that I am aware of).

I was actually thinking about this last night. I can count on one hand the number of electronics gadgets that have failed on me over the years, and Onkyo is taking up two of those fingers. I've had a 3D0 game console fail (probably my fault for storing it in the attic for a brief period), a 20 year old Hitachi VCR (I'd say I got my money's worth), an XBOX 360 (red ring of death), an Onkyo SR606 (HDMI failure), and an Onkyo NR3008 (HDMI failure). Not good. eek.gif
tsaville is offline  
post #8 of 13 Old 02-27-2013, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
LO4F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: UT
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Well that's a bummer to say the least.

So I'm guessing I should just wait till I can buy a new receiver that is not known to have HDMI issues...

I'll keep my eye peeled for a good Denon in the meantime I suppose.
LO4F is online now  
post #9 of 13 Old 02-27-2013, 04:55 PM
Member
 
JDEaston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 198
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Considering Onkyo's hdmi issues began with the 05 series, and every model line since has been affected, it would be a big gamble to purchase an onkyo on the idea that they have fixed the problem.
JDEaston is offline  
post #10 of 13 Old 02-27-2013, 05:04 PM
Advanced Member
 
Elmo C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 615
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I would not even think twice. I have a 608 I bought from a4less about two or more years ago.It looked like new, and never a problem. I had a 606 I gave to my son, several years old from them, still'works great. I hve never had a bad experience with a4 less, evry product looked new and never a problem. If you don't feel comfy just buy new,good luck.
Elmo C is offline  
post #11 of 13 Old 02-27-2013, 05:13 PM
585-645-1006
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 43,621
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Liked: 1369
Also keep in mind that AC4L sells an inexpensive 3rd party extended warranty not to menion that if the unit is purchased with a credit card, the card issuer may add a 2nd year for free (Amex will for sure as will some MC/Visa).

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
jdsmoothie is online now  
post #12 of 13 Old 02-27-2013, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
LO4F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: UT
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Well it seems I'm in the same position as i started...
I have waited for a couple years just sticking with my old Sony, I suppose I can wait a few months to get exactly what I want.
Thanks for everyone weighing in with their opinion.
LO4F is online now  
post #13 of 13 Old 02-27-2013, 07:05 PM
585-645-1006
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 43,621
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Liked: 1369
Note also that the various mfrs will be rolling out their 2013 models soon so there should be some good clearance deals on the 2012 models they are replacing.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
jdsmoothie is online now  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off