Anybody listened to Crown Drivecore xls 2000 and 2500 amps for 2 channel main speaker listening,versus a so called high end home amp. - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 100 Old 05-09-2014, 04:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Well it's official. A friend of mine who is a musician and has a pretty good pair of ears and I both agree. The Crown XLS 2000 trumps an Acurus by Mondial A250 power amp.

Last night we did some amp testing between my XLS 2000 and Acurus A250, which was Acurus' top of the line power amp circa 1993. The Crown seemed more at ease, sounded more open and had a broader sound stage. I have absolutely no idea how this can possible, but I heard it with my own ears.

The gear involved was as follows:
An older Sony DVP-S7000 as a CD transport => an Emotiva XDA-2 DAC with the volume turned up 100% => an Emotiva Control Freak volume control (XLR version for the Crown and RCA version for the Acurus) => XLS 2000 with gain controls maxed in stereo bypass mode & Acurus A250 power amp => 2 identical sets of 12 gauge Planet Waves speaker cables with banana plug connectors => NHT Super Two speakers

We listened to just 2 CDs - Vivaldi's Four Seasons and Donald Fagan's Morph The Cat. Neither of us felt there was any need to listen to anything else. The Crown won. Afterward I switched the Crown over so that it was using the RCA version of the Emotiva Control Freak as both of us thought the XLR connection was giving the Crown an unfair advantage. In truth it didn't seem to sound quite as good using the RCA inputs as it did when using the XLR inputs, but the breadth of the sound stage was still much wider than with the Acurus A250.

About a week prior to this we did another test putting the Crown XLS 2000 against an Acurus A150. On this test things were a little different because I used an Acurus L10 preamp to control the volume for the Acurus A150. The Crown used the same Emotiva XLR Control Freak as above. All the rest of the equipment was exactly the same.

On this test the sound from the Acurus A150 was much darker. We both surmised this was probably due to the Acurus L10 preamp as the difference was much more noticeable in the first test than the more recent test. I did not use the RCA Control Freak on this first test but should have.

Vive la Crown!

Crown_zps5251b69b.jpg

1: Sony DVP-S7000 | Denon DVD-2900 | Laptop > Emotiva XDA-2 > Emotiva Control Freak > Crown XLS2000 > Focal 826V | Def Tech BP2000 | (2) DIY 15" Subs
2: Computer > Parasound Zdac > Emotiva Control Freak > Acurus A150 > Focal 706V | Def Tech SM450 | Velodyne F-1000B Sub
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 100 Old 05-13-2014, 07:46 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yep, and I have to admit that, although I tried to be as unbiased as possible, I went into the comparison biased towards thinking the Acurus would win. I was wrong. Not quite a radical difference in my opinion, but one that was easily heard in a physically-switched A/B setting.
post #93 of 100 Old 05-13-2014, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 780
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Morbius View Post

Well it's official. A friend of mine who is a musician and has a pretty good pair of ears and I both agree. The Crown XLS 2000 trumps an Acurus by Mondial A250 power amp.

Last night we did some amp testing between my XLS 2000 and Acurus A250, which was Acurus' top of the line power amp circa 1993. The Crown seemed more at ease, sounded more open and had a broader sound stage. I have absolutely no idea how this can possible, but I heard it with my own ears.

The gear involved was as follows:
An older Sony DVP-S7000 as a CD transport => an Emotiva XDA-2 DAC with the volume turned up 100% => an Emotiva Control Freak volume control (XLR version for the Crown and RCA version for the Acurus) => XLS 2000 with gain controls maxed in stereo bypass mode & Acurus A250 power amp => 2 identical sets of 12 gauge Planet Waves speaker cables with banana plug connectors => NHT Super Two speakers

We listened to just 2 CDs - Vivaldi's Four Seasons and Donald Fagan's Morph The Cat. Neither of us felt there was any need to listen to anything else. The Crown won. Afterward I switched the Crown over so that it was using the RCA version of the Emotiva Control Freak as both of us thought the XLR connection was giving the Crown an unfair advantage. In truth it didn't seem to sound quite as good using the RCA inputs as it did when using the XLR inputs, but the breadth of the sound stage was still much wider than with the Acurus A250.

About a week prior to this we did another test putting the Crown XLS 2000 against an Acurus A150. On this test things were a little different because I used an Acurus L10 preamp to control the volume for the Acurus A150. The Crown used the same Emotiva XLR Control Freak as above. All the rest of the equipment was exactly the same.

On this test the sound from the Acurus A150 was much darker. We both surmised this was probably due to the Acurus L10 preamp as the difference was much more noticeable in the first test than the more recent test. I did not use the RCA Control Freak on this first test but should have.

Vive la Crown!

Crown_zps5251b69b.jpg

You don't specify anything on how you level matched the amps so hard to determine what your comparison means, or did you level match and not mention the specifics?

post #94 of 100 Old 05-14-2014, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

You don't specify anything on how you level matched the amps so hard to determine what your comparison means, or did you level match and not mention the specifics?
We level matched the bast we could by ear as my Interocitor was on the fritz that day. Cratz2, the musician friend I mentioned, has relative pitch and is very good with such matters.

1: Sony DVP-S7000 | Denon DVD-2900 | Laptop > Emotiva XDA-2 > Emotiva Control Freak > Crown XLS2000 > Focal 826V | Def Tech BP2000 | (2) DIY 15" Subs
2: Computer > Parasound Zdac > Emotiva Control Freak > Acurus A150 > Focal 706V | Def Tech SM450 | Velodyne F-1000B Sub
post #95 of 100 Old 05-14-2014, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 780
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Morbius View Post

We level matched the bast we could by ear as my Interocitor was on the fritz that day. Cratz2, the musician friend I mentioned, has relative pitch and is very good with such matters.

I'm sure his ability to match aurally within .1 dB is on par with your busted Interocitor. wink.gif

post #96 of 100 Old 07-07-2014, 06:08 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Crown XLS Amps & my 1500.

18 months in my system & very satisfied! the addition of 2 new tube buffers a schiit Vali & a Little bear with the better tube even better. but alas the Audiophile in me wanted better, so I bought 2 parasound hca-800ll off Ebay & began the Comparision. I have 45+yrs in the hobby & a decent Ear.
I want bass, sweet mids & middle of the road upper-end.
I absolutely hate over treble, & too warm or muddy.
I have many cds that push my system to either extreme making me adjust the sub & even god forbid my EQ.
So now answering the question The Crown Amps are the best
"Bang for the Buck" They do everything very well, my Fan NEVER
went on or was audible on low Never, even driving to 100DB
For those wanting more the P-800's are better & having 2 in bridged mon-block well just a tiny bit better. JMHO hope it helps
post #97 of 100 Old 07-16-2014, 09:09 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey guys, is anyone looking to upgrade to an XLS-2500? I have two that are a year old that I'm looking to sell. Shoot me a message for details.
post #98 of 100 Old 08-14-2014, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Hi guys, I thinking of using Crown XLS DriveCore amp to power up a DIY active bi-amp speaker. The Crown output terminals will be wired directly to the woofer and twitter, with the sound mode set to crossover mode for this bi-amp setup & a XO frequency set (based on my reading on the PDF user manual). In this mode, will both the gain/volume knobs work? (CH1 knob to control the loudness of the tweeter, CH2 knob to control the loudness of woofer)?

Last edited by Skylinestar; 08-14-2014 at 01:46 PM.
post #99 of 100 Old 08-14-2014, 05:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinestar View Post
Hi guys, I thinking of using Crown XLS DriveCore amp to power up a DIY active bi-amp speaker. The Crown output terminals will be wired directly to the woofer and twitter, with the sound mode set to crossover mode for this bi-amp setup & a XO frequency set (based on my reading on the PDF user manual). In this mode, will both the gain/volume knobs work? (CH1 knob to control the loudness of the tweeter, CH2 knob to control the loudness of woofer)?
Either you only have one speaker or two amps?

Anyway, I would email Crown. Normally I expect the gain controls to be an attenuator on the input. If there's only one input in crossover mode it's not clear how that will work. If you can't get a direct answer, message me via the forum messaging system and I can likely test it for you.

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #100 of 100 Old 09-07-2014, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Will a speaker sound better if I feed it with more power ...while maintaining the same SPL?

Here's my current setup:
Denon 3312 AVR --> JBL 3677 speaker @ -11.5dB speaker trim after Audyssey calibration
The speaker receives very little power to reach reference level.

Will the speaker sound better in this setup: ?
Denon 3312 AVR --> -12dB HLabs FMOD attenuator --> Crown XLS1500 amp --> JBL 3677 speaker @ +0.5dB trim after Audyssey
Is the gain knob on the XLS1500 an input control or output control? If it's the input control, the FMOD can be removed.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Polk Audio Speakers Rti 12

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page