Anybody listened to Crown Drivecore xls 2000 and 2500 amps for 2 channel main speaker listening,versus a so called high end home amp. - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #121 of 131 Old 10-06-2014, 11:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 877
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVNut57 View Post
I just wanted to help those reading to know there are choices in audio gear, not blow smoke you know where or sound like some "Audiophile snob" All the amps mentioned are good & when you listen to them side by side, you probably will not hear a difference. BUT some mentioned are very good & anyone with music they know will hear the difference. Sorry for the over the hill wording!
I never had the time or budget I have now so I'm very Passionate about these new Toys!
Being passionate doesn't mean you should try to translate that subjective experience into a technical description.....or even English for that matter.... "anyone with music they will know will hear the difference" just hurts to read.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 131 Old 10-07-2014, 04:47 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post
Being passionate doesn't mean you should try to translate that subjective experience into a technical description.....or even English for that matter.... "anyone with music they will know will hear the difference" just hurts to read.
Please when quoting me put the words in the correct order so those folks reading will get my meaning!
Anyone with Music "they know" will hear the difference.
Ironic since you said I would be the one mis-quoting!
Now it's me who cannot understand your words?
I should not try to translate? or even English?
You need to explain yourself! The thread is about the XLS amps & so called high end home amps in a 2 channel setting.
so here are 2 pics of 2 amps why don't you start us off with identifying some parts & how they relate & please tell us in your words how they sound?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	parasound hca-800ll.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	413.2 KB
ID:	299354   Click image for larger version

Name:	716KgEU8v2LcrownXLS1500.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	150.4 KB
ID:	299362  
lovinthehd likes this.
post #123 of 131 Old 10-07-2014, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVNut57 View Post
Please when quoting me put the words in the correct order so those folks reading will get my meaning!
Anyone with Music "they know" will hear the difference.
Ironic since you said I would be the one mis-quoting!
Now it's me who cannot understand your words?
I should not try to translate? or even English?
You need to explain yourself! The thread is about the XLS amps & so called high end home amps in a 2 channel setting.
so here are 2 pics of 2 amps why don't you start us off with identifying some parts & how they relate & please tell us in your words how they sound?
Got me! Its still an awkward sentence but not as awkward as I thought I'd read...sorry.

Not sure what the pics of the innards of the Parasound and Crown amps are supposed to lead to?

post #124 of 131 Old 10-07-2014, 07:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Own a number of amps/receivers. Can't say my Crown amps sound different than my receivers or Emotiva.

High end just means expensive in my experience. I don't have the budget to test out $5000+ amplifiers.

Of course people will swear they hear night and day differences in amps, but it you could set up a blind listening test, would they still hear it?

So opinions will differ

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #125 of 131 Old 10-08-2014, 05:09 AM

how much is to much?Crown & emo sound same?

[QUOTE=MichaelJHuman;28038634]Own a number of amps/receivers. Can't say my Crown amps sound different than my receivers or Emotiva.

High end just means expensive in my experience. I don't have the budget to test out $5000+ amplifiers.

Of course people will swear they hear night and day differences in amps, but it you could set up a blind listening test, would they still hear it?

So opinions will differ If I et up 3 amps & each listener has some music they know well= I like classic rock so if I put on something I know every single note & inflection the speed & timing the bass etc etc, I "I" will notice a bright or bass heavy or warm presentation. If a room full of people does not register what I have described then the test has not yielded beyond a reasonable doubt that there is any difference between amp sounds. SIMPLE!! & furthermore if the room is filled with reviewers that do not get "PAID" for this they should score higher in evaluating the "Signature sounds"

Regarding $5000.00 amps this is my view, IMHO!! the average jane & joe work hard for a living & will most probably not have the inclination to spend even close to that on the entire setup 2 chnl, home theatre with multiples you might be able to progressively saving. With that being said!
The thresholds, VTL, krell Conrad Johnson carver etc etc were made by men & women who toiled endlessly plugging in little items failing 100's of times until they came up with a marketable recipe, that the masses liked??
Have I said Anything untrue?
PS my first a/b was Crown xls-1500 vs emo UPA
post #126 of 131 Old 10-08-2014, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 59
The "beyond a reasonable doubt" standard may be useful when sending some guy to the chair, but may be a bit of overkill (pun intended) for amp comparisons.

People make subjective purchase decisions all the time when buying electronics.

Emotiva puts their shiny blue lights on their products for a reason, and it has nothing to do with sound.
post #127 of 131 Old 10-08-2014, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

[quote=AVNut57;28045570]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman View Post
If I et up 3 amps & each listener has some music they know well= I like classic rock so if I put on something I know every single note & inflection the speed & timing the bass etc etc, I "I" will notice a bright or bass heavy or warm presentation. If a room full of people does not register what I have described then the test has not yielded beyond a reasonable doubt that there is any difference between amp sounds. SIMPLE!! & furthermore if the room is filled with reviewers that do not get "PAID" for this they should score higher in evaluating the "Signature sounds"

Regarding $5000.00 amps this is my view, IMHO!! the average jane & joe work hard for a living & will most probably not have the inclination to spend even close to that on the entire setup 2 chnl, home theatre with multiples you might be able to progressively saving. With that being said!
The thresholds, VTL, krell Conrad Johnson carver etc etc were made by men & women who toiled endlessly plugging in little items failing 100's of times until they came up with a marketable recipe, that the masses liked??
Have I said Anything untrue?
PS my first a/b was Crown xls-1500 vs emo UPA
?? So with each amp of the three you would find a bright or bass heavy or warm presentation? Are we talking about the recording or the amp?

post #128 of 131 Old 10-08-2014, 01:45 PM

Smile A solid common sense way to proceed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydu View Post
The "beyond a reasonable doubt" standard may be useful when sending some guy to the chair, but may be a bit of overkill (pun intended) for amp comparisons.

People make subjective purchase decisions all the time when buying electronics.

Emotiva puts their shiny blue lights on their products for a reason, and it has nothing to do with sound.

Let's say we get a bunch of guys in the room & we listen to say the crown & the Emotiva amps 1/2 the guys say A 1/2 the guys say B.. Regardless of what I think. The common sense conclusion is they are so close as to make the cheaper one he better deal! I buy a Crown XLS-1500 or an Emo done!
we're talking 300'ish take your choice class D or A/B.
When your talking bucks it's a bit more Important.
& yes I left out a ton of stats K I S S no snob verbiage from me today!! LOL
post #129 of 131 Old 10-08-2014, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

The biggest variable in a listening test is the listener. We all hear and our brains process the info received differently.
sandydankness likes this.
post #130 of 131 Old 10-09-2014, 02:01 PM

Smile

[QUOTE=aydu;28061610]The biggest variable in a listening test is the listener. We all hear and our brains process the info received different.

Since it's very hard to agree on this issue!! & because with out a doubt amps do sound different, & not just a little bass or treble mind you!
It seemed only fair to state majority Rules. The fact that cd's vary WIDELY!! & Speakers may be the MOST different of all I don't think anyone would disagree with. While the Crowns are a very attractive choice for a variety of reasons, they are not the only best bang for the buck.
post #131 of 131 Old 10-10-2014, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Anybody that has taken or administered a hearing test knows the variance in our hearing ability and how it differs between individuals.

Unless audiology is a "scam" I suspect that most will agree that hearing (like any of the human senses) varies by individual.

I've heard speakers whose sound is so forward that it hurts me ears just to audition them at anything over a background level.

I've heard others whose sound signature is so laid back that I've wondered if the speakers were working properly.

Manufacturers continue to make, and people continue to buy both.

Those with acute (or trained) hearing go beyond the sonic signatures of the speakers, into the other components in the signal chain. While some hear no difference, others do.

One thing that is agreed upon is the fact that whatever you hear is "all in your head".
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Polk Audio Speakers Rti 12

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page