Anybody listened to Crown Drivecore xls 2000 and 2500 amps for 2 channel main speaker listening,versus a so called high end home amp. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #1 of 131 Old 02-27-2013, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, I'm new to these forums ,so please have mercy on me. I have been listening to oldschool power amplifiers for many years,and really like the natural and powerfull sound that the Phase linear 700B, and the Soundcraftsman 5002 amplifiers produce. Both those amps to my ears seem to produce smooth sound quality,with good detail ,and good dynamics. I have no problem with the sound quality they produce. They stay clear right up to maximum volume, but I would still like it to be louder. I read a review by Andrew Robinson, on the crown xls 2000 amplifier.He said he was normally into home amplifiers for audiophille sound quality,but decided to try the crown drive core series amps.All said and done.At the end of the review.He said he was very impressed with the sound quality and dynamics the crown drivecore xls 2000 amp had.He said it was so good that he would be using it for his future referencing amp to measure other amplifiers against.I would like as much headroom as possible for dynamics ,etc.Plus my phase linear 700B is not loud enough ,so I thought I might as well spend the extra dollars ,and get the biggest crown drivecore amp. The drivecore xls 2500.My speakers are Yamaha ns1000 ,and are 8 ohm. My main concern ,since I have never heard any other power amps ,other than the two oldschool amplifiers I have listed is, Will I still get as good of sound quality out of the drivecore 2500 compared to the oldschool amps.By reading his review and a few others, it sounds like these crown amps even put most home audiophile amps to shame.Will they at least be as good as I have now for hiss free,high volume audiphile listening., and bring more headroom and dynamics to 2 channel listening,or is what I have already better. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 131 Old 03-01-2013, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

There must be some people on these forums that have opinions on these crown drivecore 2000 and 2500 amplifiers for listening to music in the home.
post #3 of 131 Old 03-02-2013, 09:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 167
search, there was a thread on this within the last few weeks

Noah
post #4 of 131 Old 03-02-2013, 08:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by coomaster View Post

Hi, I'm new to these forums ,so please have mercy on me. I have been listening to oldschool power amplifiers for many years,and really like the natural and powerfull sound that the Phase linear 700B, and the Soundcraftsman 5002 amplifiers produce. Both those amps to my ears seem to produce smooth sound quality,with good detail ,and good dynamics. I have no problem with the sound quality they produce. They stay clear right up to maximum volume, but I would still like it to be louder. I read a review by Andrew Robinson, on the crown xls 2000 amplifier.He said he was normally into home amplifiers for audiophille sound quality,but decided to try the crown drive core series amps.All said and done.At the end of the review.He said he was very impressed with the sound quality and dynamics the crown drivecore xls 2000 amp had.He said it was so good that he would be using it for his future referencing amp to measure other amplifiers against.I would like as much headroom as possible for dynamics ,etc.Plus my phase linear 700B is not loud enough ,so I thought I might as well spend the extra dollars ,and get the biggest crown drivecore amp. The drivecore xls 2500.My speakers are Yamaha ns1000 ,and are 8 ohm. My main concern ,since I have never heard any other power amps ,other than the two oldschool amplifiers I have listed is, Will I still get as good of sound quality out of the drivecore 2500 compared to the oldschool amps.By reading his review and a few others, it sounds like these crown amps even put most home audiophile amps to shame.Will they at least be as good as I have now for hiss free,high volume audiphile listening., and bring more headroom and dynamics to 2 channel listening,or is what I have already better. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Andrew's review was part of the reason I purchased my XLS 2500 and I have been extremely happy with it so far.

I generally just run my towers now when listening to music. It sounds great and puts out a ton of power.

Display : Samsung PN64H5000
Avr : Onkyo TX-NR709 - Blu Ray : Onkyo BD-SP809
Amps : Crown XLS2500 - Crown XLS1500's
CD : Onkyo C-7030 - Onkyo DX-C390
Spkrs : Polk RTi 12's - Polk CSi3 - Polk FXi3's -
Subs : Polk PSW505's
post #5 of 131 Old 03-08-2013, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

Hi,I haven't been back to the forums for awile to check the thread.That write up from Adrew made the Crown Drivecore 2000 and 2500 sound very promising for audiophille sound. So you are driving just the two tower speakers off of the crown drivecore 2500?What brand are your tower speakers.Mine as stated earlier are oldschool Yamaha Ns 1000 speaker which are 8 ohm and seem to gooble up all my power I have from my soundcraftsman MA5002 and Phase linear 700B amp. Are your towers 8 ohm?Now a little bit about how the crown Drivecore 2500 is in the sound quality department.Do you think this amp is in the high end audiophille catagory like Andrew stated that this amplifier will be his new bench mark amp to compare all other home amplifers SQ against.Will it play the quiet ,detailed passages in music when turned up pretty loud,while not hearing any hiss.Is there a thump on and off that goes through your speakers when turning the crown amp on and off.Do you think it puts out a full sound or does it seem thin sounding.I can only imagine that it would be full sounding and detailed with that kind of extra power on tap.Please tell me your listening impressions with different types of music playing through it .Did you need any special things like the samson s convert box or anything to hook it up to match or boost the signal.Sorry for all the questions,Nothing beats talking with someone that has person experience with listening to this amplifier with just two home speakers like I am after. Any information on these questions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
post #6 of 131 Old 03-17-2013, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

To the last poster to my thread,Can you please give me some of your opinions regarding my last post. I am very interested in hearing your personal opinions and listening expieriences with the drivecore 2500 amplifiers. Anybody else that wants to chime in on listening impressions on this amp is free to do so. Thanks
post #7 of 131 Old 03-17-2013, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Excellent amplifiers, reliability & sonic-wise..
If using in a home system, keep in mind @ certain times the fans if triggered ON, may be audible..

Just my $0.02.. wink.gif
post #8 of 131 Old 03-17-2013, 04:07 PM

Quote:

To the last poster to my thread,Can you please give me some of your opinions regarding my last post. I am very interested in hearing your personal opinions and listening expieriences with the drivecore 2500 amplifiers. Anybody else that wants to chime in on listening impressions on this amp is free to do so. Thank

I will try to answer your questions the best I can.

Presently I am using an Onkyo TX NR-709 avr, Onkyo C-7030 cd player( analog to the avr) and Polk RTi12 towers(they are 8 ohm). The avr's main L and R preamp outputs run by rca to the crowns rca inputs. As far as hiss, with the avr's volume at minimum you can hear hiss if your about 10 inches or closer to the tweeter. Once any volume is produced you don't hear it. There is NO turn on or off thump and the fan is very quiet.

I have never heard an audiophile amplifier so I can't honestly compare the crown to one but as far as being thin sounding, absolutely not.  What I can say is I love this amplifier. I was skeptical at first as I have never owned a "Pro Audio" amp before but Andrews review and a couple threads on here convinced me to buy one.

I listen to everything from classical to metal and I have been extremely pleased with the results. Hope this helps................

Display : Samsung PN64H5000
Avr : Onkyo TX-NR709 - Blu Ray : Onkyo BD-SP809
Amps : Crown XLS2500 - Crown XLS1500's
CD : Onkyo C-7030 - Onkyo DX-C390
Spkrs : Polk RTi 12's - Polk CSi3 - Polk FXi3's -
Subs : Polk PSW505's
post #9 of 131 Old 03-27-2013, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the update on your system,I don't think the fan will be an issue with me,since there are work arounds for that.I am in the same boat as you were.Being that I have never heard an actual power amp like these being used in home audio 2 channel listening. There is lots of talk of them using them for subwoofers,and for movie listening.But info is hard to come by for power amps and 2 channel high fidelity listening. I think after talking to you and reading more I will take the plunge and buy one of the crown drive core 2500 amplifiers. I guess when you think about it,I have proven myself that power amplifiers can sound very good for 2 channel listening,since even though the soundcraftsmen 5002 and phase linear 700B are home amplifiers.They are really poweramps,and I really enjoy the sound quality they produce.If they produce the same sound quality as those amps or better,I will be very happy. My only question is,I don't run a preamp to my amplifier.I just hook the cd player rca to the rca on the amplifier since the cd player has its own volume control.Am I losing out on the full power of the power amp by not using a preamp. One person said I would be freeing up power since I had nothing else in the signal chain.Thanks for all the help so far.
post #10 of 131 Old 03-27-2013, 12:11 PM

There's a lot of stuff in here: http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/amps-pre-pros-receivers/79978-crown-xls-drivecore-thread.html
post #11 of 131 Old 03-27-2013, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code View Post

Excellent amplifiers, reliability & sonic-wise..
If using in a home system, keep in mind @ certain times the fans if triggered ON, may be audible..

Just my $0.02.. wink.gif

Do you know anything about the DriveCore amps' output filter?

I'm curious how much their FR varies with impedance up top. but I've never seen measurements and the Crown people don't seem to care to answer questions about it on their forum.

That's the one (legitimate) knock on many Class D amps, though it is solvable as demonstrated by the Hypex modules and more-or-less by the Icepower ASX2 modules.

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
Multichannel music (and video) urban loft living room system 
post #12 of 131 Old 03-30-2013, 08:39 PM

Liked: 12
I'm using XLS 2500 right now in 2-channel audio system. I had been using it in my video system for the past year. In the audio system, I drive it using a Benchmark DAC-1 using the DAC-1s balanced outputs. Speakers are 98 dB sensitive Klipsch Forte II. Room is 11 x 17 x 8. Slight hiss within 12 inches from tweeter before music starts but who sits that close? Hiss doesn't go up if I turn the volume control of the DAC-1 up. No fan noise noticed yet in either the video system or the audio system. I leave it on 24/7 except when away on vacation. Good warranty. Cheap price per watt. One of the best buys I have ever had in 35 years in audio hobby. I still like to have a few amps around to play with including tube amps but this one holds its own.
post #13 of 131 Old 03-31-2013, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

Happy Easter everyone.With these crown xls drivecore amps.Is it as simple as pluging your cd player or preamp into the rca,s that are supplied on the back of the amp.,to get the very best sound quality out of these crown drivecore amps, or is the sound quality better by getting an adaptor,and hooking it up like the ones without the rca outputs. Also when using these amps for 2 channel stereo listening,since my cd player with volume control will be directly hooked into the amp with no preamp used,will I just turn the two volume controls on the crown amp close to full ,while dialing up the volume on my cd player control .Thats what I do with my phase linear and soundcraftsmen amps ,or are they meant to be set on a certain volume level for best sound quality. Thanks
post #14 of 131 Old 03-31-2013, 12:48 PM

Quote:

...Is it as simple as pluging your cd player or preamp into the rca,s that are supplied on the back of the amp.,to get the very best sound quality out of these crown drivecore amps, or is the sound quality better by getting an adaptor,and hooking it up like the ones without the rca outputs.

If your CD player or preamp has only RCA outputs, use the RCA inputs on the Crown.

Quote:

...Also when using these amps for 2 channel stereo listening,since my cd player with volume control will be directly hooked into the amp with no preamp used,will I just turn the two volume controls on the crown amp close to full ,while dialing up the volume on my cd player control .Thats what I do with my phase linear and soundcraftsmen amps ,or are they meant to be set on a certain volume level for best sound quality. Thanks

I keep the Crown gain controls at 1/2 (12:00 position) That way I get to use much more of the rotation of my preamp's volume control + many volume controls (like the one on my preamp) have best channel balance at 12:00. I hate reaching maximum volume while only turning the volume control a little bit. Ideally, you would want to use the full range of the preamp's volume control rotation.
post #15 of 131 Old 04-01-2013, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

Hi, I will not be using a preamp with a volume control,Only a cd player with volume control on it.Won,t I half to turn the volume knobs on the crown drivecore amp to full or close to full to get the maximum power out of it.Since I will have dialed the db settings down to a low volume before pressing play on the cd player.That way I can dial up and down the volume on the couch with the cd player remote.That is the way I do it with the Phase linear 700B amp that I have it hooked up to now.I keep it at 3/4 volume on the amp just in case there is distortion in the last 1/4 of the volume Aka full volume.Will this be fine to do.I solely listen to the amp for just 2 channel listening through the cd player,and it will never be used for anything but that.
post #16 of 131 Old 04-01-2013, 12:16 PM

That'll work fine. You might even find that you don't need to turn up the gain controls on the Crown all the way to get the volume you need.
post #17 of 131 Old 04-01-2013, 01:24 PM

I've got a Crown XLS 1500 which IMO sounds so good that it replaced my class A Threshold amplifier. Its so even and flat sounding and has the ability to resolve every little thing that goes on. Love the amp. In my experience though, the bass is rolled off below 20Hz ... at least compared to my other home amps.
post #18 of 131 Old 04-02-2013, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter

Hi, When you say the bass is rolled off below 20 hz, What does that mean. My yamaha ns 1000 speakers don't put out the greatest amount of bass but are very detailed. Does rolling off below 20hz mean it just puts out a little less bass or does it mean something different.Sounds like these crown drivecore amps are what I am looking for,for accurate,detailed,full sounding music reproduction. Its very different to me the drown drivecore amplifiers.Usually you can not have a good amplifier,that sounds good if it doesn't weight a ton.The phase linear 700B amp weighs anywhere from 60-70 lbs. Not that I'm moving the amp around much at all. But usally light means cheap quality and underpowered. Boy have amps changed,or is it just the crown drivecore amps and pro series amps that can be so light and sound so good. Even the new emotiva mono block amps are suposed to weigh a ton.Hopefully these will sound even better than the emotiva mono blocks ,since that was what I was going to purchase before reading up on what the crown drivecore amps can do. I know class A amps ,and they are pretty hard amps to beat in terms of sound quality. Would the users of the crown drivecore amplifiers describe them as tube like sound and warm sounding. Thats what I am used to with my other amps and really like that about them. Thanks for all the replies so far. These forums are a wealth of knowledge and have great people that really know their stuff. Thanks
post #19 of 131 Old 09-12-2013, 06:44 PM

I have 2 crown xls amps on my system running in stereo mode one is a xls 1000 the other is a xls 2500. All I can say is, you will not be sorry going with these amps. I run a Yamaha cx-2 preamp with 24 band Fisher equalizer and a onkyo cd. My speakers are Cerwin Vega E-315's and E-712's running in parallel on the xls 2500 at 4 ohm 775 watts per channel.The xls 1000 is running a set of Klipsh Rf-52's at 215 watts per channel 8 ohm. I am using the high pass filters on both amps, the 2500 is set at 50HZ the 1000 is set at 70HZ for the Klipsch. Needless to say volume is not a problem! My room is 18'wide by 35' deep with 10' ceilings. I can take these amps all the way to -0 db with no distortion absolutely insane sound no need for subs vegas will shake the foundation and the Klipsch horns are singing! I have never heard the fans at all not even at min. signal sound is crystal clear from min signal to balls to the wall but your ears will tell you to back it down after a few songs. I have a buddy that has a carver sunfire 600 watt per channel with sub set up and there is no comparison he gets distortion at volume levels that quite frankly my system is barely breathing at.
I would recommend any one running a system like this get a pre amp. I called crown and they told me set both channel gains full throttle, because if you use the gain controls for volume the amps don't like it, below 5 they can get a little reverb, and these amps like to run wide open on the gain controls.
I really don't know what audiophile types will say all I know is everyone that has heard this set up is a believer!
one more thing bass roll off at 20HZ is not due to the amp but most main tower speakers freq limits are 20hz to 20khz and I would also add that if you have a tower that will run 20hz lik cerwin vegas that low end changes as the db level changes.
post #20 of 131 Old 09-13-2013, 05:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 116
I don't know if anybody brought it up or not, but I checked crown xls 1000 on klipsch rf-82 II and immediately noticed an early roll off in the higher frequencies (treble). For bass duty, xls 1000 does wonders. But it's marred by early roll of higher up in the spectrum.

Fantastic amp btw for diy sub duties.

History is written by those who have hanged heroes ...

The best EQ is no EQ ...

Alpine SWR-1223D Slot Ported HT Sub

Dual Dayton RSS390HO-4 Reference 15 Build For HT

Main System: Klipsch RF-82 II, Klipsch RC-62 II, RS-52 II, Onkyo 5010, Rythmik FV15HP, PSB S300
post #21 of 131 Old 11-29-2013, 11:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Im purchasing another set of surrounds tomorrow so I will need another amp. I currently have a rack full of amps consisting of one XLI 3500 for my mains and two XLI 2500 amps for my center and surrounds.

I LOVE the sound quality of these amps but I also like to try new amps every few months. I wonder how the sq of the XLS 2500 compares to the XLI 2500? My gut feeling tells me they will sound identical but I am curious.

The best pro amp Ive heard besides the Crown Series is the Yamaha p7000s however it is not cost effective for the power it offers in my opinion. I also love the sq of samson amps but they give out a loud hiss at all volume levels.

Im very picky about my music so Im always on the prowl for pro amps with audiophile sound quality. Im also going to purchase a onkyo c- 7030 cd player since I no longer believe my ''hq'' music streaming is doing my music listening justice.
post #22 of 131 Old 11-30-2013, 06:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by braveheart123 View Post

I don't know if anybody brought it up or not, but I checked crown xls 1000 on klipsch rf-82 II and immediately noticed an early roll off in the higher frequencies (treble). For bass duty, xls 1000 does wonders. But it's marred by early roll of higher up in the spectrum.

Fantastic amp btw for diy sub duties.

What gives you the idea that the Crown XLS-1000 is rolling off the top end on your Klipsch? Do you have measurements to back up this claim???? I should hope that you have some sort of prof before you go around throwing statements like this! If you are coming to this decision by your own ears, then I would recommend that everyone ignore your statement!

Besides, there are a lot of Klipsch speakers over the years that roll off the top octaves starting around 16khz, according to my memory, which may be incorrect, although I have personal viewed measurements of some various Klipsch speakers that were not very impressive to say the least, considering their cost.

Anyway, back to the original topic.

Yes! The Crown XLS-2500 makes a wonderful amp for your main LCR's in a home theater setup! Yes, it does roll of gradually below 20hz, but, 99% of every big box speaker ever produced will not get any where close to 20hz.
post #23 of 131 Old 11-30-2013, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
What gives you the idea that the Crown XLS-1000 is rolling off the top end on your Klipsch? Do you have measurements to back up this claim???? I should hope that you have some sort of prof before you go around throwing statements like this! If you are coming to this decision by your own ears, then I would recommend that everyone ignore your statement!

Crown XLS1000 has early roll off in the higher frequencies. It was evident by ear with an A/B testing i.e. with and without Crown XLS1000 in sound chain. I don't have time to back up my claim with FRs. As regards people like you basing their purchase decisions on my advice; who cares? Go buy XLS 1000 and experiment it yourself.
Deadbydawn71 likes this.

History is written by those who have hanged heroes ...

The best EQ is no EQ ...

Alpine SWR-1223D Slot Ported HT Sub

Dual Dayton RSS390HO-4 Reference 15 Build For HT

Main System: Klipsch RF-82 II, Klipsch RC-62 II, RS-52 II, Onkyo 5010, Rythmik FV15HP, PSB S300
post #24 of 131 Old 11-30-2013, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:

Crown XLS1000 has early roll off in the higher frequencies. It was evident by ear with an A/B testing i.e. with and without Crown XLS1000 in sound chain. I don't have time to back up my claim with FRs. As regards people like you basing their purchase decisions on my advice; who cares? Go buy XLS 1000 and experiment it yourself.

Hmmm..
Very strange, we have measured the frequency response of the XLS1000 and its flat out to 20kHz..
Sounds like an amplifier/loudspeaker incompatibility with the Klipsch..
As you may be aware of the horn tweeters used in the Klipsch are very efficient, a high powered amplifier is simply too much...
So a horn tweeter can sound too bright..

IMHO...
It is better to stay with lower powered Class A-B amplifiers, when using Klipsch loudspeakers......

Just my $0.05.... 👍😉
post #25 of 131 Old 11-30-2013, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 106
I owned an XLS1500 for about 6 months to push my Emotiva ERT towers. They are a full range 3 way 4ohm speaker but not real difficult to drive. As loud as I could stand it the XLS1500 never lit up a clip light. The XLS has more than enough power to drive most any speaker. Unless you have planar speakers the XLS1000 is probably enough for most speakers. I found the Crown amp to be very neutral sounding. The only reason its gone is I have an HK 990 integrated amp. I used the XLS1500 for my DIY 12" sealed subs for a few weeks to get an idea of how well it would drive them. It drove 2 subs just fine - but then so do the plate amps that are on the subs.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #26 of 131 Old 12-09-2013, 01:20 PM

Liked: 35
I've been using a Crown XLS 2000 for the past 8 months to drive a pair of Tekton Lores.....do doubt its overkill from the wattage standpoint as the Lores are pretty efficient. The Crown, in conjunction with an Oppo 103 and a Parasound 2100 produces a wide and deep sound stage. The dynamics are really good with a very tight low end and smooth mids and highs. Generally, I keep the gain controls at 12 o'clock which allows me to turn the preamp up to about 11 o'clock before the volume is hitting 90+db measure 12 feet away. What is really nice is that the oppo, parasound, crown combination is dead silent at these settings, no hiss, no hum, even with your ear 2" away. If you turn the gain control up to the 4 o'clock position, which allows you to use the oppo direct in to the Crown with no preamp, there is a very slight hiss, no hum, that is not audible from 4' and may not be audible at all with speakers that are less efficient than the Lores. I've substituted other amps into the system and while they may sound a little different, none actually sounded better.

No doubt, every component is important; nevertheless, my experience has been that the biggest influences on the overall sound are the loudspeakers, the room and the initial playback device. Therefore, if you don't have an unlimited budget, the Crown is one heck of a product which can be "auditioned" from Musicians Friend for 45 days before deciding if its really worth its ridiculously low price of $500. In addition, it has some added bonuses such as selectable high pass and low pass filters, XLR and RCA connections and an internal fan, which never kicks on because the chassis is very open an has good front to back ventilation.
post #27 of 131 Old 12-09-2013, 02:16 PM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked: 765
Quote:
Originally Posted by RN2013 View Post

I've been using a Crown XLS 2000 for the past 8 months to drive a pair of Tekton Lores.....do doubt its overkill from the wattage standpoint as the Lores are pretty efficient. The Crown, in conjunction with an Oppo 103 and a Parasound 2100 produces a wide and deep sound stage.

Actually it is the speaker placement and room acoustics that produce the soundstage. The electronics have nothing at all to do with it.
Quote:
The dynamics are really good with a very tight low end and smooth mids and highs. Generally, I keep the gain controls at 12 o'clock which allows me to turn the preamp up to about 11 o'clock before the volume is hitting 90+db measure 12 feet away. What is really nice is that the oppo, parasound, crown combination is dead silent at these settings, no hiss, no hum, even with your ear 2" away. If you turn the gain control up to the 4 o'clock position, which allows you to use the oppo direct in to the Crown with no preamp, there is a very slight hiss, no hum, that is not audible from 4' and may not be audible at all with speakers that are less efficient than the Lores. I've substituted other amps into the system and while they may sound a little different, none actually sounded better.

They wouldn't have sounded any different in a bias controlled listening test.
Quote:
No doubt, every component is important; nevertheless, my experience has been that the biggest influences on the overall sound are the loudspeakers, the room and the initial playback device. Therefore, if you don't have an unlimited budget, the Crown is one heck of a product which can be "auditioned" from Musicians Friend for 45 days before deciding if its really worth its ridiculously low price of $500. In addition, it has some added bonuses such as selectable high pass and low pass filters, XLR and RCA connections and an internal fan, which never kicks on because the chassis is very open an has good front to back ventilation.

You're right about the speakers and room acoustics.
post #28 of 131 Old 12-09-2013, 03:02 PM

Liked: 35
No doubt there is a huge debate as to the role that electronics play in the sound and soundstage we hear. I have no dog in that hunt, we all have our own experience and conclusions!

What I can say is that you can easily spend $5000 on an amplifier that sounds great...but you don't have to because at $4-600, the Crown XLS series of amplifiers also sound great and have great features that aren't often found in "audiophile" amps.
post #29 of 131 Old 12-09-2013, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code View Post

Quote:

Hmmm..
Very strange, we have measured the frequency response of the XLS1000 and its flat out to 20kHz.. ***

Into what load?

Given that it's Class D, there's a fair chance that actual loudspeakers could cause it to be non flat in response.

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
Multichannel music (and video) urban loft living room system 
post #30 of 131 Old 12-09-2013, 04:24 PM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked: 765
Quote:
Originally Posted by RN2013 View Post

No doubt there is a huge debate as to the role that electronics play in the sound and soundstage we hear. I have no dog in that hunt, we all have our own experience and conclusions!

What I can say is that you can easily spend $5000 on an amplifier that sounds great...but you don't have to because at $4-600, the Crown XLS series of amplifiers also sound great and have great features that aren't often found in "audiophile" amps.

I can't imagine why there would be a debate. For an amplifier to have some affect on the directionality of sound is contrary to the laws of physics. It simply cannot be. I do agree that a Crown amp should sound the same as any other solid state amp with a flat frequency response and inaudible distortion. No argument there.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Polk Audio Speakers Rti 12

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page