Sub phase testing - how is it done? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 02-28-2013, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 592
I have a Sunfire HRS-10 sub. How would I go about testing at which phase to set it? How about this: play lets say a 30Hz test track and adjust phase until sound is loudest without touching sub volume? Is this the proper way?
From the manual:
"Phase
This controls the relative phase of the
subwoofer with respect to your other
speakers. Use this to help blend the
subwoofer with the rest of your system.
Adjust the control in small increments
as you listen for the most bass at
your listening position. As a final trim,
readjust the crossover frequency and
volume controls
"
Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-28-2013, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked: 237
The basic way - using an SPL meter located at your listening position, play pink noise through your FL/R + sub and adjust sub phase so you get the highest SPL at the MLP.

The better way - use a room analyzing program such as REW or OmniMic.

AVR:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FL/R:

CC:

SUR:
SUB:
DISP:
post #3 of 7 Old 02-28-2013, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post

The better way - use a room analyzing program such as REW or OmniMic.

I gotta learn more about these programs. Do I need any equipment additional to AVR's EzSet mic that came with the receiver? Will it work? Do I need any additional gear (other than a laptop and a mic)?

post #4 of 7 Old 02-28-2013, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 262
I use a pulse test with appropriate instrumentation and SW.

The simplest (quick and dirty but good enough for most) way I adjust the phase is to play a test tone at the crossover point and adjust for maximum output at the listening position. That ensures the sub and mains are in phase. At frequencies away from that point phase alignment is less critical as there is less output from the speakers as they are filtered by the crossover(s).

I would not use pink noise for this particular test because it is to "busy" to isolate the crossover frequency (where it matters).

FWIWFM - Don

p.s. Read the REW thread in the Audio Theory forum here. SW is free, you need a laptop with a soundcard and decent mic, preferably calibrated. There are inexpensive ones available (maybe $100 vs. the $1200 earthworks mic I use).

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #5 of 7 Old 02-28-2013, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grigorianvlad View Post

I gotta learn more about these programs. Do I need any equipment additional to AVR's EzSet mic that came with the receiver? Will it work? Do I need any additional gear (other than a laptop and a mic)?

See here.

To answer your question, with REW all you need is your laptop, a (preferably calibrated) mic and a couple cables. Download this guide to set up with HDMI and a USB mic - Getting Started with REW: A Step-by-Step Guide

AVR:

FL/R:

CC:

SUR:
SUB:
DISP:
post #6 of 7 Old 02-28-2013, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Alan, thanks. This looks too advanced for me. Appreciate your help very much, though.

post #7 of 7 Old 02-28-2013, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

It's actually much easier than it looks at first glance - and very addicting. wink.gif

AVR:

FL/R:

CC:

SUR:
SUB:
DISP:
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page