Soundstage, Pioneer SC-1522-K, calibration - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-28-2013, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 78
I've had this Pio SC-1522 AVR for 10 days now, and I've found an especially nice combination of adjustments which give a good soundstage. I thought it would be worthwhile to report. First, on "soundstage", I found this on the diyAudio forum:
Quote:
Soundstage is how accurately the images are placed in space. Do vocals come from the center? Do violins come from the proper location? Does whatever come from wherever it's "supposed" to? That's soundstage.
soundstage definition from Jim85IROC
I'd like to have the soundstage work for all the listening modes the receiver does, but so far, I'm getting the best results with the AVR set to "wide surround movie" (using the "standard" button) and "optimum surround" (using the "auto/alc/direct" button). This uses the front wide speakers, in addition to the ordinary 7. (Since I never heard of these two settings before on other AVRs, I'm guessing they are inventions of the Pioneer engineers.)

In calibrating, I've gone through the ordinary first steps using MCACC. I ran the "full auto MCACC" procedure, changed some speaker settings (I left L, R, C "large", and changed all others to "small"), and re-ran auto MCACC with "keep SP settings". I listened for a day or so before each of these steps, and I didn't hear the soundstage come to life until after the second run through of auto MCACC.

The SC-1522 is a 9.2 receiver, and I have it hooked up to Axiom speakers. I'm not counting the front high speakers here, because they're not active in the listening mode I'm using. I won't go into the subs I connected, since I don't think they are involved with the soundstage phenomenon.

I don't understand just which of the above technical details contributes to the nice soundstage that I stumbled on, and I don't claim to have found the best settings.

Greg Lee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2013, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked: 425
To me, claiming you have a great "soundstage" and using more than 2.1 channels is cheating. wink.giftongue.gif

AVR: DENON 2113ci
FL/R: Klipschorn
CC: Klipsch RC64ii
SUR: Polk LS F/X x 4
SUB: PSA XS15 x 4 (Soon to be replaced with dual T-18s!)
DISP: Mitsubishi WD-73740
Old 03-14-2013, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post

... but so far, I'm getting the best results with the AVR set to "wide surround movie" (using the "standard" button) and "optimum surround" (using the "auto/alc/direct" button). This uses the front wide speakers, in addition to the ordinary 7.
Cancel, cancel, cancel. This is wrong. There's a bug, or at least an undocumented misfeature, in the "optimum surround" mode, that limits the total of channels to 7. That is, using this mode loses you two channels. If you want all 9 channels active, you have to (1) use the "auto" setting instead of "optimum surround" and (2) use the standard mode DD PLIIz Height, to use front height speakers or Neo:X to use either front height or front wide speakers (with the last choice governed by the Speakers setting). To the best of my knowledge, now.

Sorry if I misled anyone.
vivatech likes this.

Greg Lee
Old 04-06-2013, 06:18 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I'm having trouble finding information on the forum about all of the sound modes this receiver is capable of, what each one does, what all the combinations of each will do and how to save them. I would love to get feedback from others on their settings they like and why. I've been messing around for the last week but haven't found the perfect combination of settings yet. It also seems that there is no one setting to rule them all. I find myself continually messing with the sound if I watch different movies, sports and even just change the channel. It is starting to piss other people off that watch tv with me. Is there a thread dedicated for this topic? The mcacc thread is way too long and seems to be more focused off this topic.

RC-64 Center, RF-7 Fronts, RF-82 Sides, RW-12D, QTY=2, RSW-15, RS-52ii Rears, Pioneer SC-1522-K, Panasonic 65VT60, 65"
Old 04-06-2013, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here's a thread: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1465612/official-pioneer-sc-1522-9-2-network-ready-av-receiver-owners-thread/0_60, and here's another: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1448081/official-pioneer-elite-sc-65-sc-1527-k-owners-thread/0_60.

I use just a single setting for everything: all speakers used except front wides, remote button #1 in "auto", button #2 in "Neo:X Cinema", button #7 "FH".

Greg Lee

Tags
Pioneer Sc 1522k 9 2 Channel Av Receiver