Thought i'd share my experience.
Symptom: random unpredictable audio flickering, then dropouts, then channel cuts off. A turn on the power button, or a restart cures it.
Cause: bad VS-24MB-NR relay, $2.65 at Mousser.
Joe at Sherbourn confirms that at about 10 years these relays fail, testimony to it, i now have 4 out of 5 channels on one of my 2 5/1500As doing it. He strongly advised replacing all relays.
1. VS-24MB-NR relays.
2. Philips screwdriver, power for removal only.
3. Forceps, very useful for pulling connectors.
4. Pen and paper, you will need to draw a diagram
of the wiring you remove, the back of each board has
seven position connectors.
5. Solder gun, an air rework tool is a blessing, the X-Tronic
6040 station is a Godsent. Desolderging wick to pull extra
solder after old relays removed. Rosin core solder.
The relays are under the two large capacitors behind the
Sequence (leave the front and transformers alone):
1. Lay amp on back feet, remove all bottom plate screws, the
modules are now only attached at back. You will have to remove
bottom right foot looking from bottom.
2. Lay it down, remove top plate.
3. Remove back screws holding XLR and RCAs.
4. Remove all connectors, make a map with positions. Not too many, really.
5. Pull gently transformer end of board upward then back until
you remove it completely, always slowing down to remove wires
you may have hooked up. There is room to wiggle as the boards
6. Take rework air gun with 2.5mm blower, or soldering tip and heat
over the wick, the old relay will drop out.
7. Put new one in, clamp it to board, solder. Heat the pins, do not melt
solder on gun, nice perfect Hershey kiss droplet identical to factory ones
is a sign of a good contact. Don't worry, if a dumb PCP internist can do it,
you can do it:)
I am now sitting in front of my Signature S8 mismatched (v.1,2,3) system auditioning Warner Japan's release of the Eagles, Hotel California in 5.1 is xxxxing amazing, really. Gone are the dropouts, 3 days now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.