Connecting a turntable to Pioneer ELITE SC-61 AV Receiver - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 03-01-2013, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just purchased the Pioneer ELITE SC-61 AV Receiver. I would like to know the best way to hook up my turntable. I have a cd player connected to ANALOG IN 1 (CD). Can I connect to another input? Thank you.
_Mike Kiedrowski

Up and Running
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 03-01-2013, 07:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Look and see if you receiver has a phono input on the back. If not you will have to get a phono preamp.
post #3 of 20 Old 03-01-2013, 08:13 AM

Liked: 37
Your SC-61 has no phono input. You will need a separate phono pre-amp. You can connect this to another analog input.

So no big deal. Many to choose from starting around $50 up to 5 figures. The below link is a good place to start shopping for the one that is right for you. What phono pre-amp you choose will mostly depend on the cartridge you are using in your turntable; either Moving Magnet or Moving Coil. Some pre-amps only do one or the other. Some do both. If in doubt, call Needle Doctor and they will assist you on the phone. Good people to work with.

www.needledoctor.com

Good luck.

Parasound 5125, Parasound 2100, Pro-ject RM 5.1SE, Dynavector 10x5, Pro-ject Phono Box S, Pro-ject Speed Box II, Arcam FMJ CD17, Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Pioneer Elite BDP-52FD, Vienna Acoustics Bach Grands, Vienna Acoustics Theatro Grand, Wharfedale Diamond 9.2s, REL T-1 & Panasonic TC-P54S1
post #4 of 20 Old 03-01-2013, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter

Why can I not use one of the other analog inputs such as DVD, SAT/CBL or VIDEO?
_Mike

Up and Running
post #5 of 20 Old 03-01-2013, 11:17 AM

Sure, you can do it. You'll just never hear the sound from the turntable, no matter how much you crank the volume on the SC-61.

Unlike CD's or other level line sources, the output from a magnetic cartridge is so low, it requires an additional stage of amplification. Your SC-61 does not have this additional phono stage. Also special equalization was applied to the recording prior to cutting the vinyl and the phono stage reverses this RIAA curve - its called RIAA re-equalization. Your Pioneer cannot do this either. Only a separate phono stage can.

Did you check out the link I gave you? Like I said - its no big deal. They are small and can be very cheap. And very expensive if you want this too.

Parasound 5125, Parasound 2100, Pro-ject RM 5.1SE, Dynavector 10x5, Pro-ject Phono Box S, Pro-ject Speed Box II, Arcam FMJ CD17, Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Pioneer Elite BDP-52FD, Vienna Acoustics Bach Grands, Vienna Acoustics Theatro Grand, Wharfedale Diamond 9.2s, REL T-1 & Panasonic TC-P54S1
post #6 of 20 Old 03-01-2013, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you. I did check it out. I just need something that is equal to a built in pre-amp. My old amp is a Pioneer ELITE VSX-55TXi_A/V Receiver. Who new? I guess you did. Thanks again. Any suggestions on a basic one?
_Mike

Up and Running
post #7 of 20 Old 03-01-2013, 03:34 PM

I found your old receiver, the VSX-55 TXI on line and looks like its phono input is Moving Magnet only. So if you want something comparable and you are going to use the same turntable/cartridge combination I would suggest something like this at the extreme low end...

http://www.needledoctor.com/Esoteric-Sounds-Rek-O-Kut-Professional-Phono-Preamp-Incredibly-Accurate-Frequency-Response?sc=2&category=35249

The above is a very basic Moving Magnet pre-amp. If you want something better and most importantly, quieter, I would recommend this one. Also it comes in black or silver. Take your pick.

http://www.needledoctor.com/Cambridge-Audio-Azur-551P-Phono-Preamp?sc=2&category=35249

From what info you have provided, I don't think you would need anything more than the above. Hope this helps.
BTW, in its day that was a very nice receiver you had. I once had an Elite VSX-54 TX and it had a great sounding amp section. As did all the models in that series, the 55, 56 and flagship 59. Very robust receivers. But technology marches on. Enjoy the Pioneer SC-61. I hear very good things about it.

post #8 of 20 Old 03-01-2013, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiedrowski View Post

Why can I not use one of the other analog inputs such as DVD, SAT/CBL or VIDEO?
_Mike

Paraneer is 100% right. not only will your volume be far less than it should be, without the RIAA equalization, you will have crappy sound with far less bass and far less treble. RIAA EQ is built-in to LP's so that the needle does not have to make drastic movements. its been that way since the beginning of record mastering smile.gif a phono preamp or a dedicated phono input has the required RIAA equalization to make the recording sound the way its supposed to.

you'll need a phono preamp then plug it into one of the normal receiver inputs. any of them will do.

Steve
post #9 of 20 Old 03-01-2013, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for all your help. I definitely learned something today.
_Mike

Up and Running
post #10 of 20 Old 01-11-2014, 08:08 AM

Hello, 

I have a phono pre amp and a Pioneer Elite SC-61 AV. By receiver inputs, do you mean any input, like the one labeled cd?

Thank you.

post #11 of 20 Old 01-11-2014, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msc5899 View Post

Hello, 

I have a phono pre amp and a Pioneer Elite SC-61 AV. By receiver inputs, do you mean any input, like the one labeled cd?

Thank you.

yup, anyone one will do, they are all line level inputs, meaning higher voltage like CD & DVD/BD players, even VCR's. as long as you have the ext phono preamp to plug the turntable into, then from the phono preamp to any of the receiver's inputs.

Steve
post #12 of 20 Old 01-11-2014, 09:11 AM

Hey Steve,

Thank you! I still am getting no sound from my speakers.  Pre amp is connected and turned on.  Any further suggestions?

Manuel

post #13 of 20 Old 01-11-2014, 10:03 AM

Could it be that I have the wrong type of preamp?  I have an Artcessories DJ pre II phono preamplifier

post #14 of 20 Old 01-11-2014, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hey Steve,

Thank you! I still am getting no sound from my speakers.  Pre amp is connected and turned on.  Any further suggestions?

Manuel

if its a true phono preamp, its output should be enough to drive the normal line inputs. the only caveat is if you have a low output moving coil cartridge with a phono preamp only designed for higher output moving magnet/moving coil cartridges. you didn't mention what cartridge or style of cartridge you have and what preamp you are using. but assuming this part is good...

is the input you used also one of the HDMI inputs? IOW, did you use DVD, BD, DVR, etc that also is for one of the HDMI inputs? if you say yes, then you'll probably want to try one of these options:

1. use the SIG SEL (or Signal Select) button on the remote to change the audio input from Auto to Analog. its set to Auto by default and that should work but sometimes you may have to force the receiver to choose the others. the priority in selecting audio is HDMI >> Digital >> Analog

2. or try going into the input setup menu and un-select or un-assign the HDMI from that input so the receiver is forced to use another audio source.

#2 will be needed if you picked an input that you are actively using for an HDMI source because the Input Name will probably always be looking for the HDMI device as the source for audio.

in some of the previous models, Pioneer left all the HDMI inputs un-assigned (which I prefer) and that way you can use one input name do double duty, one for HDMI and one for digital/analog, effectively increasing the number of inputs smile.gif but now, with nearly all the named inputs all assigned in HDMI, they are bundled up. it's more convenient for new owners to have their BD player plugged into the BD labeled HDMI input but it does mean you have to think more when trying to use the BD or DVD inputs for digital or analog sources.

hopefully, one of these will make sound. let us know smile.gif

Steve
post #15 of 20 Old 01-11-2014, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Could it be that I have the wrong type of preamp?  I have an Artcessories DJ pre II phono preamplifier

checking out...with 47K ohm input impedance that's what hi output MM/MC cartridges use. unless you really are using a lo output moving coil, which tend to be audiophile & expensive then it looks good for a normal, standard, Shure or Audio Technica type cartridge. you can play with the gain control but too much gain means more noise but if still no sound even increasing the gain, then look to the suggestions I posted.

I can't think of anything else at this time but let us know.

Steve
post #16 of 20 Old 01-12-2014, 06:37 PM

Hey Steve,

Thank you for your help!  I finally got my stereo up and running. It's hard not to spend hours and hours listening to my music.  It turned out that my preamp was working fine, I just had to connect the front speakers instead of the rear speakers.  Humbling to admit that mistake, but I guess learning is a humbling process.

Thanks again,

Manuel 

post #17 of 20 Old 01-13-2014, 04:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I just had to connect the front speakers instead of the rear speakers.  Humbling to admit that mistake, but I guess learning is a humbling process.

yes it can be humbling wink.gif

about a week ago, I experienced something that I thought might be a problem - sat down to watch a movie and I had no video & sound from all HDMI sources. after pulling out the rack and staring at the rear panel it finally dawned on me that I must have accidentally hit the button that changed HDMI outputs from 1 to 2. a button press and I was back in business. but I wasted 30 min, the effort of pulling the cabinet out plus that sinking feeling of panic eek.gif that the receiver went south.

it happens to all of us smile.gif

glad you got it working and now grooving to the tunes cool.gif

Steve
post #18 of 20 Old 03-10-2014, 08:18 PM

Does anyone here know what the red "over" or "Dver" light means? It has been coming on and flashing only while playing my turntable. No issues yet just wondering what it means.
Sc-61
Pro-ject tt
post #19 of 20 Old 03-10-2014, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Sounds like the input level is too high...
Check the OSD page...

Just my $0.05.... 👍😉
post #20 of 20 Old 03-10-2014, 11:45 PM

Good call. Looks like that is the problem. You can set the analog input attenuate to ON and that solves the problem. And it sounds even better than before. Thanks
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Pioneer Elite Sc 61 7 2 Channel Network Ready Av Receiver

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page