Repair or replace dead Yamaha RX-V3900? - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 03-01-2013, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The mainboard in the Yamaha RX-V3900 I use in my theater died a couple of weeks ago. It'll cost around $800 to get it repaired, which is 60% of what I paid for the receiver 3.5 years ago, so I'm a little torn on whether to fix it or to just get a new receiver.

Any advice you guys can provide would be appreciated. I haven't had a chance to figure out what would be comparable today, so any insight there would be helpful as well.

If it helps, this is most of what I have connected to the receiver:

Projector: JVC DLA-RS20
Screen: Seymour AV F120 (120" wide, 130.4" diagonal)
Speakers:
* LCR: Atlantic Technology IWCB-727-S x3 (in-walls)
* Surround: ATL IWTS-30 SR (in-walls)
* Rear Surround: ATL ICTS-8.3e (in-ceiling)
* Subwoofer: SVS PB13-Ultra
Blu-Ray Player: Oppo BDP-83
Time Warner DVR

Thanks!
Jay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-05-2013, 04:48 AM - Thread Starter

Any help?
post #3 of 5 Old 03-05-2013, 05:34 AM

Liked: 54
I'd replace it, not worth spending that much on older technology. I would be curious about the layout of your equipment though, it sounds like your receiver died prematurely and was wondering if it was adequately ventilated? Looks like a nice compliment of components you have. You could probably get a used 3900 for much less than $800, actually I know someone that might be willing to upgrade and sell his. if interested PM me.
post #4 of 5 Old 03-05-2013, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Bob.

Based on what I've been reading, I've been leaning towards replacing it but wanted to avoid it if I wasn't just throwing away money by not repairing my 3900.

Probably a good hunch on the ventilation. I just got in a couple of additional 120mm ultra-quiet fans to add to the cabinet to help cool things down more.

Any idea what would be comparable to a 3900 these days? I've been pretty happy with what I had until it died...

Jay
post #5 of 5 Old 03-05-2013, 08:32 PM

Liked: 54
Yamaha is the most reliable brand out there, that's why I guessed the ventilation. It is unusual to see a problem with Yamaha. Heat is often the culprit with electronics especially ones that generate heat like receivers and amplifiers. I still like Yamaha and the RX-A3020 would be the current model equivalent to your 3900. Other brands I like are Anthem but they do run hotter and Marantz.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V3900bl Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page