Multiple digital inputs played together? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 03-01-2013, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, I have a digital receiver system.
Current I have my PC, cable box and Xbox connected by digital optical cables.
But i only have one digital optical input so have to connect them through a manual switcher.
So firstly i'd like a system that could take all these separate connections. Then I could switch between on the remote.
But I would also like to be able to play out more than one of these inputs at the same time.
For instance, play on the Xbox while also listening to some music playing from my PC.
Anyone know if there any systems that can do this - play audio from multiple sources at the same time?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-01-2013, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked: 225
There are no receivers that can play two sources at the same time AFAIK.

AVR:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FL/R:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CC:

SUR:
SUB:
DISP:
post #3 of 11 Old 03-01-2013, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 154
what you woul need isa mixe between the sources and the receiverr. think about it. chances are probably near zero that if you played both at once they would be in the relative volumes you want. One would be louder than you want, but you only have one volume control.
post #4 of 11 Old 03-01-2013, 11:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Liked: 1161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross Martell View Post

Hi, I have a digital receiver system.
Current I have my PC, cable box and Xbox connected by digital optical cables.
But i only have one digital optical input so have to connect them through a manual switcher.
So firstly i'd like a system that could take all these separate connections. Then I could switch between on the remote.
But I would also like to be able to play out more than one of these inputs at the same time.
For instance, play on the Xbox while also listening to some music playing from my PC.
Anyone know if there any systems that can do this - play audio from multiple sources at the same time?

There are such things as digital mixers...

Ironically few have more than one digital input, and they are thousands of dollars.
post #5 of 11 Old 03-01-2013, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 80
You could connect the analogue stereo output of your Xbox to the line input of your PC and have it do the mixing.
post #6 of 11 Old 03-01-2013, 01:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 388
First thing you need is a better receiver with multiple optical inputs.

but you're not going to be able to play multiple audio sources at the same time. Why would you want to hear the Xbox and listen to music at the same time? I understand if you want to watch the Xbox and listen to another source but not hear the Xbox and another source simultaneously.

Afro GT
post #7 of 11 Old 03-01-2013, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

I totally get the idea of playing video games and listening to music at the same time. Back when I used to play video games, I would just play music out of my computer.

AVR:

FL/R:

CC:

SUR:
SUB:
DISP:
post #8 of 11 Old 03-01-2013, 02:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Quote:
I totally get the idea of playing video games and listening to music at the same time. Back when I used to play video games, I would just play music out of my computer.

He could do that by connecting the Xbox or cable box directly to the TV and connecting audio only to the receiver from each device. Then he can listen to whatever he wants.

by the way most cable boxes have optical and digital coax outputs so if his current receiver has a digital coax audio input he could use that too.

Afro GT
post #9 of 11 Old 03-01-2013, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Yah, I often turn off the music in games and have the radio or MP3s player instead. I still want to hear the sound effects and speach, just that after a while hearing the same music over and over in a game can get a bit monotonous.
post #10 of 11 Old 03-04-2013, 01:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Ross, you could also get a receiver that supports zone 2 audio. By hooking up zone 2 speakers alongside your main speakers (instead of the conventional setup in a different room) you could send the xbox audio to your main speakers and your music source to the zone 2 speakers.
post #11 of 11 Old 03-04-2013, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebard View Post

Ross, you could also get a receiver that supports zone 2 audio. By hooking up zone 2 speakers alongside your main speakers (instead of the conventional setup in a different room) you could send the xbox audio to your main speakers and your music source to the zone 2 speakers.

Now, there's an idea!

AVR:

FL/R:

CC:

SUR:
SUB:
DISP:
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page