Upgrading Onkyo TX-NR609 to a receiver with 3 HDMI outputs - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 03-01-2013, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I had a nightmare messing with hdmi splitters so i'm done with my NR609. It's the third HDMI splitter i am trying and i always have trouble with them (way to long to explain my problems here).

So i'm giving up and i want to upgrade my Onkyo TX-NR609. I'm looking for something of the SAME or SUPERIOR quality. I'll try to sell my NR609 even if it's almost new -_-

The system will be used with an Energy 5.1 CF-70 home theater system

My only requirements:

- Dedicated buttons on the remote to switch from one input to another. I need a button to switch to TV input, and ANOTHER button to switch to DVR input. I do not want to navigate through a menu just to switch from one input to another.

- Would need 3 HDMI OUTPUTS that can be USED AT SAME TIME but they seem to be very expensive. So i'll take a 2-outputs if i can't find anything else

- At least 5 inputs

- price range : under $1000

- shipping to canada

- HDMI-CEC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-01-2013, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter

After a quick search i found those:

http://www.crutchfield.ca/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=033AV3313C&Click=54713

http://store.sony.com/p/Receivers,-7.2-channel,-ES,-Dolby,-Internet-Radio,-iPhone,-iPod,-3D,-4K-video,-RS232-control,-Airplay,-Wi-Fi,-Bluetooth/en/p/STRDA2800ES#specifications

Not sure about the remote tho.

How do they compare against NR609 ?
post #3 of 12 Old 03-01-2013, 04:17 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 982 Post(s)
Liked: 1494
The 609 only uses the most basic version of Audyssey 2EQ which cannot EQ the sub while the 3313CI has the more advanced MultEQ XT which not only can EQ the sub but also has 16x more speaker control points than 2EQ. Although note that as with using an external HDMI switch, if the TVs being used are of different resolution the video will be reduced to the lowest resolution common to both TVs, not to mention if the Zone 2 (HDMI) connection is to a TV (and not another AVR), the audio in the main zone will be limited to stereo only (ie. if the Zone 2 TV cannot receive DD/DTS 5.1).

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 

Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #4 of 12 Old 03-01-2013, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Although note that as with using an external HDMI switch, if the TVs being used are of different resolution the video will be reduced to the lowest resolution common to both TVs, not to mention if the Zone 2 (HDMI) connection is to a TV (and not another AVR), the audio in the main zone will be limited to stereo only (ie. if the Zone 2 TV cannot receive DD/DTS 5.1).
Yes i know that, but both of my sources have the same resolution and both supports 5.1

My setup is:
- Living room : Energy home theater speakers ++ Panasonic VT50 HDTV
- Bedroom : Samsung HDTV
- HTPC used to play movies

First i just used an HDMI splitter and splitter the output port of my Onkyo receiver

My problem was that in the bedroom TV, only a few movies had sound. Half of the movies i tryed to play only had sound in the living room.
The other problem was also that when i wanted to watch a movie in the bedroom, i had to let the receiver open and the home theater in the living room would still play sound and that was annoying. Even when the TV was closed the onkyo receiver would still output sound to the living room speakers.

If i connected my bedroom TV without using the splitter, all movies would work.
So i bought another HDMI splitter and put the splitter right on the HTPC output port. The device would split the signal to the bedroom before going to the receiver. It solved the problem and all movies are working in the bedroom BUT now my living room HDTV doesn't get any video.

So if i buy the 3313CI :

- Will i be able to output sound and video to three different sources, no matter what the resolution and the sound is ? For example, can i watch a movie that will output 5.1 sound to the living room's HT speakers and 2.1 stereo sound to the bedroom tv ?

- If i want to watch a movie in the bedroom, i will have to open the receiver that is connected to the living room speakers.
Is there a way the receiver can detect that the living room TV is closed so it doesn't need to output sound to the living room speakers since i am watching a source in the bedroom ?
post #5 of 12 Old 03-03-2013, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

bump
post #6 of 12 Old 03-03-2013, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Sounds like what you want would be to utilize a zone 2 out for your other room, that would let you shut the main set completely off (well, standby). But receivers that support HD & digital audio over zone 2 are quite pricey.

Otherwise, the Onkyo 818 seems to have the features you want: 8 in/2 out hdmi, input buttons on the remote, etc.

Also, a switcher rather than a splitter would ease your hdmi problems, but would likely require a univrsal remote to switch automatically the way you want.
post #7 of 12 Old 03-03-2013, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

But like i said previously, i need a receiver that would output sound to the main connected speakers only when the living room's TV is powered on. So when i power on the receiver only to watch a movie in the bedroom, i don't want toe living room's speakers to play.

Also it needs to be able to output hdmi to both sources (living room and bedroom tv) at same time, so i don't have to switch from one source to another. For example, i need to be able to watch a movie in the bedroom (with 2.1 sound) while other persons watch the same movie in the living room (with 5.1 sound).

Do you know if the Onkyo 818 would do that ?
post #8 of 12 Old 03-03-2013, 05:58 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 982 Post(s)
Liked: 1494
Quote:
Originally Posted by anarchoi View Post

So if i buy the 3313CI :

- Will i be able to output sound and video to three different sources, no matter what the resolution and the sound is ? For example, can i watch a movie that will output 5.1 sound to the living room's HT speakers and 2.1 stereo sound to the bedroom tv ?

- If i want to watch a movie in the bedroom, i will have to open the receiver that is connected to the living room speakers.
Is there a way the receiver can detect that the living room TV is closed so it doesn't need to output sound to the living room speakers since i am watching a source in the bedroom ?

1. Nope. Works just as an HDMI splitter would work.
2. Yes. The main zone can be OFF while Zone 2 is ON.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 

Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #9 of 12 Old 03-03-2013, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Really I think what you need is a universal remote. What you're looking to do with the video signal is not much different from what I do with my TX-NR708, but I'm outputting to a TV and a projector rather than a 2-room setup. I have a monoprice matrix switcher on the hdmi output of the receiver, and I can display on the tv, projector or both. But I wouldn't be able to automate the switching from the Onkyo remote.

Caveats: even with a matrix switcher, if you had two outputs of different resolutions active at the same time, it would still default to the lowest one. Also, audio: you'd either need to route the signal to the switch first, or make sure the receiver has hdmi passthrough so you could shut the receiver off & still pass the signal to the other room.
post #10 of 12 Old 03-03-2013, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I'm afraid this looks like a problem with the 609!mad.gif I just got a refurb from ShopOnkyo and love it BUT audio WILL NOT pass thru my Monoprice amplified HDMI splitter that I've been using for over 3 years to deliver the signal over HDMI to 3 TVs and a projector with NO problem from my Onkyo 607. It worked initially, then I lost audio after a day. I restored it by doing a reset (which of course caused ALL of my settings to disappear). Now after another day of it working fine it's out AGAIN! At this point it looks like I'm going to have to return it. GGRRR!!!

ED
post #11 of 12 Old 03-22-2013, 05:43 AM - Thread Starter

After trying various other solutions that failed, i'm back again at the point where i must upgrade my receiver
Quote:
1. Nope. Works just as an HDMI splitter would work.
Then lets say both sources are 5.1 ... i will be able to output audio-video through both HDMI ports at same time, right ?

Now the only thing i'm concerned about is that when i play a movie in the bedroom (HDMI2) i don't want the living room speakers to play sound. Is there a way to force the receiver to output audio to the connected speakers only when living room TV (HDMI1) is open ?

Quote:
I'm afraid this looks like a problem with the 609!mad.gif I just got a refurb from ShopOnkyo and love it BUT audio WILL NOT pass thru my Monoprice amplified HDMI splitter that I've been using for over 3 years to deliver the signal over HDMI to 3 TVs and a projector with NO problem from my Onkyo 607. It worked initially, then I lost audio after a day. I restored it by doing a reset (which of course caused ALL of my settings to disappear). Now after another day of it working fine it's out AGAIN! At this point it looks like I'm going to have to return it. GGRRR!!!

ED
I also tried without the receiver (connecting the splitter directly to the TV) and i also experienced problems sometimes. The monoprice splitters seems to have problems dispite the good reviews.
post #12 of 12 Old 03-23-2013, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

I'm still considering to buy the receiver with 3 HDMI outputs:
http://www.crutchfield.ca/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=033AV3313C&Click=54713

It will be used with 3 devices:
- Main TV with home theater speakers (5.1)
- Bedroom TV (will use my old onkyo receiver to convert it to 5.1)
- LCD monitor with integrated speakers (2.1)

I've read a lot of reviews but i still have a few questions

I am able to output to 3 devices (audio and video) at same time, right ? Or just one at time ? It acts as a switch or a splitter ? I found these reviews which says, if i understand correctly, that i won't get audio on HDMI2 and HDMI3 when using HDMI1 at same time :
Quote:
The Monitor 1/2 HDMI outputs will not pass through the audio signal when playing on the main zone. This put a wrench in my plans to use the zone 1 output as input source for an HDMI splitter to other rooms. The audio for these Zone 1 HDMI outs can be configured one of two ways.. either to pass through the HDMI audio(assuming you would use optical audio?) or intercept(no output) the HDMI audio and play on the main zone. Note: Zone 2 HDMI out passes through the audio for the chosen zone 2 HDMI source.
Quote:
both HDMI parallel monitor outputs can be configured to either play back the audio through the speakers connected to the AVR or can be configured to send the audio to the HDMI device connected to the AVR, but not BOTH at the same time! Bummer, as that prevents pass through as you indicated in your review.

The LCD monitor has integrated speakers (2.1). Is it possible to desactivate audio on this HDMI Output so it sends only video ? Or else i will get 2.1 sound on the other 2 outputs since the lowest common denominator will be 2.1

Still same question than last post:
Now the only thing i'm concerned about is that when i play a movie in the bedroom (HDMI2) i don't want the living room speakers to play sound. Is there a way to force the receiver to output audio to the connected speakers only when living room TV (HDMI1) is open ? Opening the TV connected to HDMI1 would activate the home theater speakers, and closing the HDMI1 TV would turn them off even if devices on HDMI2 or HDMI3 are still open.

i'm confused about this:
Quote:
Multi-room Audio/Video:
» three-room/three-source output
• two independent HDMI video zones
• powered and line-level stereo audio output for 2nd or 3rd room (using powered 2nd or 3rd output allows 5.1 home theatre in main room)
• optical and coaxial digital audio sources are not output to Zones 2 and 3
Does this means that i will only be able to get stereo on my other devices ?

A reviewer also said that the 3313 has bad sound quality and said to go with the sr6007 instead. What you think ?

Sorry for asking so much questions but this is a big investment
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr609 7 2 Channel Network Thx Certified A V Receiver
Gear in this thread - Nr609 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page