Will upgrading my Receiver Help? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 03-02-2013, 04:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a 5.1 set-up, using PSB's Image Series (T5 Tower, C5 Center, B5 rears). I'm using a paradigm powered sub.

My receiver is a Marantz SR5006. It feels like I'm not getting enough separation in the sound effects. Take Iron Man 2 on Blu-Ray when he jumps out of the airplane. I would expect to hear the 'pops' of those fireworks much better than I do.

I've been thinking I may need a better receiver and wondering about the NAD T 757 or the Outlaw 975 with matching 125 amp.

I believe the Marantz is 100W vs 125W...do I need more power, is it worth the $1500 or do I need to pop up a bit further in the receiver/amp food chain.

Ideas and suggestions welcomed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-02-2013, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

How long have u had the marantz? has it allways been this way?.Maybe your settings are off.You did do the initial setup ?Thats a great reciever not sure why your having this problem.
post #3 of 6 Old 03-02-2013, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the quick reply. Recently I purchased the PSB speakers, prior to that I had one of the BOSE 5.1 systems. I was wondering if it was under powered for these speakers. But they were running them in store on a 50 Watt NAD.

I did run the setup. In fact last week end I re-ran set-up and measured 3 seating locations.

Good to know the Marantz is good.
post #4 of 6 Old 03-02-2013, 04:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 388
The Marantz 5006 is a very capable receiver. You shouldn't have any trouble powering those PSB speakers.

You should actually run all 6 or 8 positions in you have Audyssey MultEQ XT.

Are your speakers set to small or large? With a powered sub they should be set to small. What did the Marantz set the crossover for the front, center and surrounds?

Are you getting TrueHD or DTS-HD when playing this blu ray movie thru your system?

Afro GT
post #5 of 6 Old 03-02-2013, 08:31 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmanmain View Post

I have a 5.1 set-up, using PSB's Image Series (T5 Tower, C5 Center, B5 rears). I'm using a paradigm powered sub.

My receiver is a Marantz SR5006. It feels like I'm not getting enough separation in the sound effects. Take Iron Man 2 on Blu-Ray when he jumps out of the airplane. I would expect to hear the 'pops' of those fireworks much better than I do.

I've been thinking I may need a better receiver and wondering about the NAD T 757 or the Outlaw 975 with matching 125 amp.

I believe the Marantz is 100W vs 125W...do I need more power, is it worth the $1500 or do I need to pop up a bit further in the receiver/amp food chain.

Ideas and suggestions welcomed.

I don't see how "separation in the sound effects" has anything to do with power of the AVR? Rather it depends on the surround sound CODEC that almost all current AVRs can do with ease; the sr5006 should have no problem.

I wonder if you actually set up the receiver using its respectable Audyssey MultEQ XT capability?

And if you think power is the issue, you can always try an external power amp to drive the front speakers, utilizing that 2.2 pre-outs feature of the sr5006. Rather than upgrading the receiver, I'd get an outboard amp, and while you are at it, get 2x, 3x more than the "standard" 100W/8 ohm channel to make it worthwhile smile.gif!

Hope this helps.
post #6 of 6 Old 03-02-2013, 08:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 851
An external amp wont do anything except thin your wallet.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page