Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 03-02-2013, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter
b4z
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
After a less than satisfactory experience with a Sony DA 333ES receiver where I spent $400 on 2 blown drivers (output ICs) due to a cold solder situation. I decided to drop Sony after 30 years and buy a product I felt was better built and designed. I bought the Cambridge receiver on close out about 4 years ago and was very happy with its construction and sound quality. It has not been used much in the last few years and about a year and half ago the remote stopped working. Which is pretty annoying since the volume has to be done manually now.
about two weeks ago I turned it on and the volume was blasting, I quickly turned it down and noticed it was at -7. I thought it odd as I have never turned it that high. I blamed it on our 2.5 year old. Next time I turned it on it was at -9.
Tonight, I made sure there was no signal and turned it on several times and each time it was at either -7 or -9. It starts at -99(dbw)and goes to 0, so you can see what I am talking about from a loudmess standpoint. Our son now runs from the room when I tell him we are turning on the receiver. He is scared to death by the noise.
So, I bought what I thought was an above average receiver tilted towards sound quality and not features and what I have is a really bad ownership experience.
Meanwhile my 33 year old NAD 3020 chugs along happily in the dusty garage, rewarding me with great sound EVERY time I turn it on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 03-02-2013, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
At least it lasted for 4 yrs: if you hang around here often you'll note many others perish long before or have other ongoing issues and happens to every brand, including NAD. Some of the brands now share the same Chinese factories.

Audiosceptics accept audio trials using 25 people. A recent Oxford study with over 353,000 patient records from 639 separate clinical trials shows for every 1,000 people taking diclofenac or ibuprofen there would be 3 additional heart attacks, 4 more cases of heart failure and 1 death every year.

post #3 of 3 Old 06-09-2013, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter
b4z
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
For some reason the volume has started to act normal again, so no more blasting sound when I turn it on now. I guess will keep using this thing until it dies for good.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page