Yamaha driving me crazy! Trying to choose a receiver - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 03-03-2013, 11:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've got a pair of older Yamaha receivers I'd like to replace. One for bedroom and one for living room, both wired 5.1 but I've also got a pair of full sized speaker in the bedroom. I'm mostly upgrading for network capability using the iOS app and for streaming on those occasions I don't want to use my HTPC. Both of my current receivers have too few HDMI inputs and one downstairs got fried. I use small Infinity speakers upstairs with full some sized Klipsche, downstairs is Boston Accoustic small speakers - both have decent powered subs.

Here's my issue - they have three lines and receivers in each that appear to have the features I want, I cannot easily tell differences or compare across lines! Their lower end HTR stuff is selling at Costco for a decent price, the Aventage receiver I was looking at is a good $200 more apiece with no clear difference other than a warranty difference and cosmetics. Supposedly Aventage is higher quality but am I really likely to notice listening to the latest action flick on my couch?!

I'm pondering the HTR-7065 Costco is selling, the RX-A720 (Aventage), and the RX-V673 or 675. Is a new model year about to hit or is Costco carrying close to up to date stuff now?

Don't really have space for 7.1 sadly so these could all be overkill but Airplay, iOS app, streaming, and other features are attractive. HDMI passthru is also a biggie for me. I'd consider another brand but have used Yamaha a good while and if I expanded my search I'd likely lose my mind. So have I missed anything or are each of these pretty much equal save cosmetics and warranty? Any of these a clear winner?

Thanks, this has been hurting my head a little while now....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-04-2013, 03:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Yamaha will release the same receiver with up to three different model numbers depending on the intended market and region. These different models of the same receiver will virtually identical, with only minor differences in parts like the fifth foot in the RX-A models. Waranty coverage is the biggest difference between them.

The HTR-7065 and the RX-V773 appear to be the same receiver, while the RX-A720 looks to be a distinct model. The RX-A720 pretty close to a RX-V673 in terms of features but it has different front panel design and a couple of different connectors at the back. In the US the RX-V773 is sold as the RX-V773WA and comes with a wireless bridge that 's not included with the HTR-7065.

According to Yamaha's web site the RX-V675 should be out sometime this month. The only new feature seems to be that the front panel HDMI port now supports MHL.
post #3 of 9 Old 03-04-2013, 04:16 AM

Liked: 11
Between the receivers you listed..... They are mostly identical. Just check wattage and if they have pre outs. The 720 and 673 dont have preouts. The 773 does.
post #4 of 9 Old 03-04-2013, 04:35 AM - Thread Starter

Thank You! It's nice to have other eyes look at this and confirm I'm not crazy! Pre-amp outputs won't matter to me for my purpose and it sounds like I need to study the rear connections. Overall though it seems they're very close and that the Costco model might save me some money. I'll have to lookup MHL as I'd never heard of that and not noticed it in the specs. The wireless bridge is also of no consequence since both locations are hard wired, wireless is something I've always avoided for my HTPCs! It means an added hop for AirPlay and for remote control but there shouldn't be noticeable latency.

I won't jump today but it sounds like I should seriously give consideration to taking home a pair of big boxes from Costco. I know Aventage is supposed to be higher quality components but the cost and my situation sure may not warrant it. Glad I held off and researched more :-)
post #5 of 9 Old 03-04-2013, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

I bought two of the HTR-765 this evening, I've setup one of them in my bedroom so far. It's replacing a Yamaha RX-V2600 that's I've had for years.

Pros: Smaller! I no longer need a piece of plywood to support the front legs of the receiver. Remote is lighter but smaller capacity batteries. Layout of the remote is more intuitive, scenes are good, and its nice to be able to select inputs without names. iOS app is very nice! The speaker setup with the mic was simple as usual for Yamaha, sounds good. Using my second stereo speakers as presence up front was cake. AirPlay works fine. There are pre-amp outputs on this receiver, dual sub outputs. Price was right, Costco beats others by a good $100 or so!

Cons: No slaved power plug, my sub stays on as a result and I hate the slight hum! The power plug isn't socketed. No album art with AirPlay. The remote doesn't light but then my other Yamaha remote doesn't either just the one this replaced. The manual came on a CD, no paper. The receiver shows up in the iOS app and AirPlay as a serial number, I'm hoping I can name it as with two this will suck. Display is a brighter white than I'd like, the other was a dimmer yellow. Overall the power plug is the part that sucks most, I think my sub downstairs triggers on signal inpu but not this onet. I may have to upgrade this one :-(

That's it for now. I didn't see any threads on this receiver specifically so I figured I'd provide feedback. I'll post more as I use them and find quirks. Oh, mine apparently came with up to date firmware. I'll say the setup screen sure could look better too (shrug) but its functional for the little I've used it so far.
post #6 of 9 Old 03-04-2013, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 80
No Yamaha receiver has switched power outlets, and they're not very common on receivers in general these days. If your subwoofer happens to have a 12V trigger connection then you can use that, otherwise the standard suggestion is to use a smart auto-sensing power strip to get your subwoofer to turn on automatically.

You can change the Airplay name using [On Screen] -> Setup -> Network -> Network Name.

Also, try using a web browser to visit the URL "http://192.168.x.x/setup", were 192.168.x.x is the IP address of your receiver. If your receiver supports this then it can make configuring the receiver much easier.
post #7 of 9 Old 03-06-2013, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter

It does look like they've dropped this feature - that stinks! Both of my previous receivers had this and I think the second even had two outputs. I'll post it's model number when I have a chance, it's an older RX-V as I recall.

I did find a way to name the receivers, both are now setup. The second one seems to be indicating a polarity issue with both rear speakers but swapping the wiring on both didn't clear the issue, I'll fool with that later. I've managed to find the setting to dim the display too so that's much nicer. The receiver downstairs is also talking to my tv via CEC which might prove useful - trying to get that working on my XBMC setup too. I've also found that album art does work with AirTunes so I must have had an issue with a song previously. I'll checkout the web configuration too, I really need to look over the manual. Having it electronic only kind of stinks but these days I understand.

Haven't found any more negatives, so far really enjoying both receivers and I think the price wasn't bad. Glad I spotted this and didn't jump on the Aventage I'd been drooling over!
post #8 of 9 Old 03-06-2013, 10:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 389
You shouldn't be plugging in a powered subwoofer to the back of a receiver anyway. Draws too much current. Those outlets are made for things like CD players, DVD players etc.

Afro GT
post #9 of 9 Old 05-01-2013, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKMGK View Post

I bought two of the HTR-765 this evening, I've setup one of them in my bedroom so far. It's replacing a Yamaha RX-V2600 that's I've had for years.

Pros: Smaller! I no longer need a piece of plywood to support the front legs of the receiver. Remote is lighter but smaller capacity batteries. Layout of the remote is more intuitive, scenes are good, and its nice to be able to select inputs without names. iOS app is very nice! The speaker setup with the mic was simple as usual for Yamaha, sounds good. Using my second stereo speakers as presence up front was cake. AirPlay works fine. There are pre-amp outputs on this receiver, dual sub outputs. Price was right, Costco beats others by a good $100 or so!

Cons: No slaved power plug, my sub stays on as a result and I hate the slight hum! The power plug isn't socketed. No album art with AirPlay. The remote doesn't light but then my other Yamaha remote doesn't either just the one this replaced. The manual came on a CD, no paper. The receiver shows up in the iOS app and AirPlay as a serial number, I'm hoping I can name it as with two this will suck. Display is a brighter white than I'd like, the other was a dimmer yellow. Overall the power plug is the part that sucks most, I think my sub downstairs triggers on signal inpu but not this onet. I may have to upgrade this one :-(

That's it for now. I didn't see any threads on this receiver specifically so I figured I'd provide feedback. I'll post more as I use them and find quirks. Oh, mine apparently came with up to date firmware. I'll say the setup screen sure could look better too (shrug) but its functional for the little I've used it so far.

I am considering replacing my RX-V2600 with an RX-A720. The salesperson at the audio store advises against it saying that it would be a big reduction in sound quality. He's saying that, considering my speakers (Paradigm Studio 20's & matching CC, surrounds & a Paradigm sub), I should go with a model with a more comparable amp such as the RX-A1020. I was wondering whether or not you noticed any reduction in sound quality. Thanks for any feedback.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page