AVRs with dialog level adjusment? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 03-04-2013, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Which manufacturers have AVRs with dialog level adjustment and which model does it start with? I noticed that Yamaha has it in their RX-V673 and above.

I have trouble understanding some of the dialog on shows and if I just turn up the overall volume it's too loud for me. I'll be using the AVR in a 2.0 setup.

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-04-2013, 05:30 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 1302
Denon 1613 and higher and Marantz (all models) AVRs have center channel/dialogue adjustment settings.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 11 Old 03-05-2013, 03:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Denon 1613 and higher and Marantz (all models) AVRs have center channel/dialogue adjustment settings.

Under what feature on the AVR is it available?
post #4 of 11 Old 03-05-2013, 05:41 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by akadoublej View Post

You meant how to look for this info "dialog level adj"? It is not a feature per se, but can be found during "Set Up" process. You can try to ask for a demo how to set the Audio parameters at the store with your "chosen" AVR, or download the OM of that specific AVR to verify if such capability is available (big word, but it is still correct, capability smile.gif).

E.g. using the thread on Denon xx13, download the 1713, look up p. 83 for Audio Procedure, you'll find on p. 85 "Dialog Level". If your Yammie or other brand has similar procedure to set up Dialog level, then it is confirmed.
post #5 of 11 Old 03-05-2013, 06:48 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:

On the Denon and Marantz models, the feature is called "Dialogue Level" and can be adjusted from the GUI menu at any time.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
post #6 of 11 Old 03-08-2013, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks. It's unclear if/how it will work in a 2.0 system. Denon/Marantz specifically refer to it being associated with a center channel but I'll have no center channel. Yamaha makes no mention of a center channel. I guess it will be one of those find a store and have them demo it or buy and try.
post #7 of 11 Old 03-08-2013, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Gien the number of folks who are unhappy with dialog levels in movies, at least comparing those levels to the loud stuff going on all around them, it will be interesting to see how these systems work. I doubt there's a logrithm that can reliably "pull out" the speech from an audio channel and just turn that up. That leads me to suspect that it will be simple volume level adjustments, perhaps along with a bit of EQ (IIRC, if you push up the levels where the consonants live (in the few thousand Hz range, I think) you can make speech more intlligable. So maybe there's a bit of that.

Also interesting to see if Yamaha can do something useful with a 2 channel input. The problem there, of cours, is if you EQ for speech you EQ everything else too which might make everything else sound icepicky. Although if the receiver would let you use the multichannel mix, it could theoretically work its magic on the center channel, uh, channel, then downmix to 2 channel and maybe get something done. It would require some futzing with the HDMI communication process since normally a receiver configured for 2 channel will (I think) "tell" the source device it's 2 channel, and the source will just send its stereo mix . . .

Obviously not heavily documented by the manufacturers, we'll need multiple boots on the ground reports to get a reasonable handle on whatever the process is. Heck maybe one of those REW wizards could look at the center output with and without dialog enhancement and tell us what gives . . .
post #8 of 11 Old 03-08-2013, 09:28 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Thanks. It's unclear if/how it will work in a 2.0 system. Denon/Marantz specifically refer to it being associated with a center channel but I'll have no center channel. Yamaha makes no mention of a center channel. I guess it will be one of those find a store and have them demo it or buy and try.

How can you adjust a dialog level, implying that of the center channel, in a 2-channel, 2.0 system? (I actually missed this "detail" from your very first post)

Without a center speaker, you may still select the "Virtual" mode for a surround effect, as one is offered in the Denon xx13 AVRs.

From OM p. 67 of the 1713:
VIRTUAL - This mode is for enjoying surround effects using only the front speakers or headphones.
post #9 of 11 Old 03-08-2013, 02:28 PM

Liked: 10
Wouldn't the obvious solution be to purchase a center speaker? Also, don't most AVR's have preset modes that include settings that are optimized by purpose such as sports, movies, general tv?

At least that's my premise as I do some AVR shopping.

I'm kind of in the same boat. I hate the overwhelming BS sound of the explosive crapathons most movies have instead of a decent plot. I want to understand what the hell they're saying. And when I watch a baseball game, I don't need to be blown out the door when a commercial comes on.

When I want to listen to music? That's a different story....
post #10 of 11 Old 03-08-2013, 02:45 PM
585-645-1006

AFAIK, they don't.

post #11 of 11 Old 03-08-2013, 03:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 226
The "Dialogue Lift" feature on Yamaha receivers doesn't increase the volume, it centers the dialogue vertically if you are using front height speakers.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page