Just Ordered A Pyle PT588AB -Here Is Why - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 03-05-2013, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
It is one of the very FEW Surround Receivers that has remote bass and treble controls AND remote controlled subwoofer level control http://www.pyleaudio.com/sku/PT588AB/51-Channel-Home-Receiver-with-AMFM,-HDMI-and-Bluetooth

These things are dirt cheap, and I mean dirt cheap! I got mine "used" from Amazon Warehouse for 110.00 Shipped.

OK, it is not 7.1, though Pyle does make a version of this receiver that is 7.1, but it does not have any main Preouts, and the one I am getting does.

No on screen display, no ability to select small or large speakers for fronts, center, or surround, no audyssey, no auto set up.

It has a subwoofer line out with rca jack, but it most likely does not have a crossover on it (maybe it does) ?
No bass management, that's for sure.

My homebrew corner mounted subs are monsters (9.1 cu ft w/15 inch Cadence Wild Beast Kevlar Drivers), and flat to 20 hz.

IF this receiver has no built in fixed subwoofer crossover on the sub line out, I can always use an amp with DSP (built in crossover) to power my subs.

The MAIN reasons I am wanting to try this POS, is this.

It has remote tone and subwoofer level controls!

Plus, there is no need to go to the GD On Screen Display, every time you want to adjust something !!!!

It is all there, on the remote, and you adjust the surround channels the old school way, by EAR !

I owned an old Parasound stereo preamp with remote control sub level control, I really miss that!

Needless to say, my subs are extremely powerful, and even though equalized, they can easily overwhelm the room, if the levels are too high.

I am SICK of getting up and down, to do so.

I have many pairs of speakers, but my Infinity IL 60's look the best in my room.

The Infinity IL 60 is designed to be ruler flat. This is great for home theater, but for music they have no " built in flavor".

I find they sound best on some music by using tone controls.

Now, I will be able to do it remotely!

Of course, I will TRY the Pyle with it's built in amplifier, but not expecting a whole lot from it.

It is "rated" for 4 ohms, and the Infinity IL 60 can be sort of a "wicked load" because it dips to 3.6 ohms at weird phase angles.

Not to worry though, the little Pyle has pre outs for the fronts! I have several amplifers I can use.

Of course, we all "know" Pyle is Krap, right ?

And, I would agree that much of it is!

But, are you aware that Pyle makes and sells TUBE Hybrid amplifiers, turntables, and also makes some speakers aimed right at us audiophiles ?

That's right!

They made an 8 inch 3 way speaker that looks much like a small Avalon Acoustics! http://www.pyleaudio.com/sku/PHS78

I have heard these little guys, and they were very very impressive.

They had a warm rich old school sound with awesome 3D imaging. They were voices kind of like old Vandersteen 2 B's or old Polk Monitors, more East Coast Sound, with excellent imaging, and pretty decent bass for just an 8 inch driver.

They look cool as heck too, almost like they copied Avalon Acoustics, LOL

Heck, if this Pyle don't work out for me, I will give it to one of my kids, LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 03-06-2013, 11:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Interesting.... I considered one.... Waited for a deal on a Pioneer 1022 instead. I really wanted the scaler and video processing.

On best deal I could find, it was $60 more than what you paid. But new in box. I had some points ion my Amazon card I needed to use too.

Always interesting to read the points of a product that swayed one to it for sure. Thanks for sharing.
post #3 of 14 Old 03-06-2013, 12:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 37
"Built-in Safety
Over current, short circuit, and over voltage circuitry protects your equipment from electrical damage."

I've read elsewhere that Radioshack/Nexxtech power amps we're designed by Pyle, if that's true you may become very well acquainted with Pyle's wonderfull protection circuitry when reaching higher volumes, as I did with the Nexxtech biggrin.gif

Hope you have efficient speakers, and if you have the time let us know how it performs.
post #4 of 14 Old 03-06-2013, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNnDENVER View Post

Interesting.... I considered one.... Waited for a deal on a Pioneer 1022 instead. I really wanted the scaler and video processing.

On best deal I could find, it was $60 more than what you paid. But new in box. I had some points ion my Amazon card I needed to use too.

Always interesting to read the points of a product that swayed one to it for sure. Thanks for sharing.
Hey, what''s 100 bucks ? And I will give it to one of my kids if it don't work out.
My TV has a scaler in it that always seem to conflict with whatever scaler is also in my receivers. My old Onkyo Receiver's scaler and it constantly fought each other, LOL

I wonder what kind of DAC the Pyle uses ?
post #5 of 14 Old 03-06-2013, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik James View Post

"Built-in Safety
Over current, short circuit, and over voltage circuitry protects your equipment from electrical damage."

I've read elsewhere that Radioshack/Nexxtech power amps we're designed by Pyle, if that's true you may become very well acquainted with Pyle's wonderfull protection circuitry when reaching higher volumes, as I did with the Nexxtech biggrin.gif

Hope you have efficient speakers, and if you have the time let us know how it performs.

It has pre outs, so not a whole lot of worry. I will hook it up w/o an added amp, just to see how it sounds all by itself.
But if it makes the team, it will almost surely have one of my amps hooked to it.

It seems to be 4 ohm rated, we shall see ..............
post #6 of 14 Old 03-07-2013, 08:13 PM
Advanced Member

I was referring to output to the speakers where protection can kick in when the amp is overloaded. I was running speakers that I would guess we're around 100db 1watt/1meter efficiency (Vintage Vega Pa's)
They we're wired wrong when I bought them though so that could have been a factor, but it didn't stop cutting out after i corrected the wiring. Anywho, just my experience with cheap brand amps, bought a used peavey cs800 after that for 150 mostly for reliability.
post #7 of 14 Old 03-07-2013, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I was referring to output to the speakers where protection can kick in when the amp is overloaded. I was running speakers that I would guess we're around 100db 1watt/1meter efficiency (Vintage Vega Pa's)
They we're wired wrong when I bought them though so that could have been a factor, but it didn't stop cutting out after i corrected the wiring. Anywho, just my experience with cheap brand amps, bought a used peavey cs800 after that for 150 mostly for reliability.
I hear ya brother!
I bought some really really cheap amps off Ebay called GDVAudio, and got lucky I guess ? My tech saw them (I run them bridged to my home made subwoofers) and put one on his bench. He told me it was a complete and total Chinese copy of a Yamaha Pro Amp, a good thing!
I got lucky I guess ?

I have had these Chinese amps nearly 7 years, and they are bulletproof, except for dust in the fans.

But used Peavey or QSC is also a great way to go. My home made subs are 4 ohms, and I wanted some real power on them,. The bridged Chinese Yamaha Clones do very nicely. I got each amp for 179.99 shipped!
post #8 of 14 Old 03-08-2013, 08:13 AM
Advanced Member

Wish I had your luck. I think the Peavey is relatively bulletproof as well, but i don't know how small arms fire does against 1/4" steel biggrin.gif
post #9 of 14 Old 03-08-2013, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Wish I had your luck. I think the Peavey is relatively bulletproof as well, but i don't know how small arms fire does against 1/4" steel biggrin.gif
The GVDAudio Chinese Yamaha Clone I own is not built as well as the old Yamaha Pro Amp they copied. I would not want to use it in a real pro audio situation. But, for home use, powering subwoofers, it is just fine.

Amazon has not even SHIPPED the freaking Pyle Receiver yet, and it has been nearly a week! I bought it off Amazon as "used", and have had good luck buying stuff that way.

Often, stuff is not "used" at all from Amazon. I have seen them open the box, and intentionally mess stuff up, to make it look used, LOL

This way, they can dump electronics for cheap.
post #10 of 14 Old 03-08-2013, 12:11 PM
Advanced Member

Yeah oddly enough the Nexxtech was decent for cranked sub bass as well, it only cut out with vocals and full range home theater content. I had always heard bass frequencies are more difficult to drive rather than the opposite.
Anyways i hope the amp works out for you, once they finally ship it smile.gif
post #11 of 14 Old 03-08-2013, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Yeah oddly enough the Nexxtech was decent for cranked sub bass as well, it only cut out with vocals and full range home theater content. I had always heard bass frequencies are more difficult to drive rather than the opposite.
Anyways i hope the amp works out for you, once they finally ship it smile.gif
I use female voice (The singer Brandy) to hear glare in an amp.

Yea, Amazon finally shipped it !

Kindle Store
| Your Orders | Amazon.com
Shipping Confirmation
Order #106-0100072-4364261
Hello chris tucker,
Thank you for shopping with us. We thought you'd like to know that we shipped your item, and that this completes your order. Your order is on its way, and can no longer be changed. If you need to return an item from this shipment or manage other orders, please visit Your Orders on Amazon.com.

Your estimated delivery date is:
Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Your order was sent to:

Pyle PT588AB 5.1 Channel Home Receiver with AM/FM, HDMI and Bluetooth
Sold by Warehouse Deals, Inc
$110.62

Item Subtotal: $110.62
Shipping & Handling: $16.99
Super Saver Discount: -$16.99
Total Before Tax: $110.62
Shipment Total: $110.62
Paid by Debit Card: $110.62
Returns are easy. Visit our Online Return Center.
If you need further assistance with your order, please visit Customer Service.
We hope to see you again soon!
Amazon.com
post #12 of 14 Old 03-09-2013, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

It is on the way, the Pyle 588AB, but I just read a review on Amazon that if it is true, I am gonna be really upset!
The review said the "side left and side right" controls on the remote control the ENTIRE right or left side !
This would mean that there is no way to adjust the volume levels of the rear surrounds, w/o also increasing the front left or right channel speakers too!
Go here http://www.pyleaudio.com/sku/PT588AB/51-Channel-Home-Receiver-with-AMFM,-HDMI-and-Bluetooth and download the manual, and look at the remote.
It does say "side left and side right volume". I took this to mean the front speakers are fixed in level and the side level control meant rear surrounds.

If the Pyle PT 588AB really does this, how incredibly ******* stupid!

I Guess I can play with surround speakers or higher or lesser sensitivity, to make them match my front L and R speaker levels, but WTF ?

How can anyone make a stupid azz design mistake like this, IF Pyle really did make it.

My Infinity IL 60 speakers have built in 500 watt 12 inch subwoofers. The Pyle will allow me to have remote control over them!

I do not know IF the Pyle subwoofer line out HAS any crossover on it ? it May be a full range line out, that relies on a powered subwoofer to have the crossover.

The Infinity IL 60 have this kind of crossover, so all I need do is turn the Infinity IL 60 subwoofer levels 3/4 of the way up, and control them remotely with the Pyle.

It will be so nice to have remote control of my bass levels again.

There are also no speaker size settings when you go into surround, and no LFE Levels either.

I am not too concerned with all that, and I am also one who thinks 7.1 and 9.1 are a big scam. 5.1 with dipole surrounds is good enough for the few times I watch movies.

I am not emotionally attached to this receiver. I only paid a little more then 100.00 for it, delivered.

But I will give it an honest review, once it gets here, for better, or for worse.
post #13 of 14 Old 11-21-2013, 08:05 AM

Liked: 10

So, how did it work out?  My Pioneer Elite blew out and my budget is very slim since I now have 2 youngs kids.  Thus, I'd like to try this as a replacement since I believe that it will cost me more than this to repair/replace by current amp.  Also, my current amp isn't HDMI :(

post #14 of 14 Old 11-21-2013, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatrekker View Post

So, how did it work out?  My Pioneer Elite blew out and my budget is very slim since I now have 2 youngs kids.  Thus, I'd like to try this as a replacement since I believe that it will cost me more than this to repair/replace by current amp.  Also, my current amp isn't HDMI frown.gif
Well, I gave it to my brother, but I miss it, in some ways!
I bought the big expensive Sherwood 972 receiver with the Trinnova Processor.
The Pyle was shockingly 3 dimensional driving Vandersteen 2 CE Speakers.
Plus, it had blue tooth, so my kid could come over, and play music on my system through his cell phone!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Pyle Pt588ab 5 1 Channel Home Receiver With Am Fm Hdmi And Bluetooth
Gear in this thread - Pt588ab by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page