Hi, I have a Denon AVR1507, 7.1 reciever and just got some Definitive Technology speakers, unit shuts off at high volumes red blinking light?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 03-05-2013, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
okay, as always with my first posts. I always give a little bit of backstory lol

I am relatively still learning about home audio. I am more versed in high end Car Audio so I know a decent amount so. I bought this receiver about 4 years ago and this is the first time I had a problem with it. Now I know the $330 something dollars I paid for it, isn't the cream of the chop of receivers but I've heard for a while it was one of the best bang for the buck for DTS 7.1s at the time but I never had good speakers up until a few days ago. I got Definitive Audio sats because well,

I always heard great things about them for the money and I don't have the space for bookshelf's or a ton of money so I decided to just get these sats. They sound great to be honest, nice and crisp, Impactful, with decent treble but of course the mids are just boomy and not as punchy as I would like(like I heard on a pair of Mirages with top passive rads) but I will be the judge after I calibrate and have these break in. Now of course now have the issue of the unit shutting off at high volumes with a blinking red light. I called a shop, and the very knowledge tech told me it is either 2 things...

1. A leaky Output Transistor which he would need a flatrate of $200 plus $75 diag.

2. I need to do a proper calibration with a mic

Now I don't think I have the stock mic for this unit. I lost it years ago maybe? What mic can I use? Where do I get it? And what is the setup procedure? It would be my first time doing it.

One of my friends believes its the unit having an impedance issue and the calibration won't help but the technician also said that these DefTeks aren't really efficient speakers so this is bound to happen. I also don't wanna spend anywhere near $200 to fix a $350 dollar receiver. So its ludicrous to think I would ever do that. I would just buy something else, but is there a chance this could be fixed? One thing that doesn't make sense to me. Is... In surround mode even with the speakers disconnected, it will still shut off when I put the vol up. Now how could that be? With it not outputting any power to the surrounds?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-05-2013, 06:26 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1435 Post(s)
Liked: 1607
AFAIK, the 1507 didn't come with a mic (see accessory list below) so you would have to use a 3rd party SPL meter. Also DT speakers are generally fairly efficient, so depends on what model you have. Note that if you do have to get it repaired, you would be much better served putting the money into a more recent model (even a few years old) that uses Audyssey MultEQ with a mic.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 10 Old 03-06-2013, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter

yeah that is what he said. So basically that makes the amps work harder than? And I just got the Cinima pro 60. Yeah its the lowest end DefTeks but like I said. I wasn't gonna get a surround but these sure are far better than my 2003 sony's I had that were already blown. I notice a huge night and day difference and I just noticed that as well when I looked up the manual also there is no mic port. Other than the headphone jack. SO I guess this never had it. Oh well...

So prob just gonna need to get a new receiver than huh? I mean this still works at a decent volume just not as a great thunder shaking bluray volumes. It bums me out that a $400 surround system isn't effecient I don't know what makes a speaker so inefficient other than low sensitivity but it does suck because like 4 years ago. I almost bought the Cinema pro800s when I worked at bestbuy and we got them for 50% off at the time so they were like $390 marked off from $799. and Magnolia did nothing but praise this brand of speakers. I do admit the sub kinda sucks tho. lol. Like it is too muffly, maybe cause I am so used to high end subs like my RE audio XXX, but jesus. lol It does get louder than the sony sub but like I said, its muffley and probably because it hasn't broken in yet, who knows, maybe I gotta find the sweet spot in the Crossover.

but in any case thanks for the reply. I am looking at Pioneers AVX series. I think I am done with Denon they seem to be high end dudes that are going to be like Sony's mid range now it seems. I can't afford an ELITE so I am considering the VSX series. I want the HDMI and pandora anyway. Instead of always using my bluray player to use Pandora which makes me waste electricity by having to put on my samsung 42" on all the time.
post #4 of 10 Old 03-06-2013, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter

bump
post #5 of 10 Old 03-07-2013, 03:37 AM
585-645-1006

The ProCinema 60 setup is rated at 89db efficiency so are actually fairly efficient such that the majority of the AVRs on the market today could easily power them without any impedance problems whatsoever.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
post #6 of 10 Old 03-07-2013, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter

oh okay. Well that guy saying that did seem like he knew what he was talking about. Maybe he just thinks that because they are popular but honestly I think they are good speakers and nice heavy drivers. So I don't know why these big high tech guys don't seem to like anything under 1000 bucks lol. Not everything has to be like 5 grand to be good lol

anyway. So it prob is an issue with my reciever? Well I don't mind upgrading sometime by the end of the year when I get money. I like to have HDMI instead of taking an HDMI signal from bluray player and putting it to the TV and than back to the Receiver via optic signal. Seems like a lot of extra work that can cause a little extra interference in my sound. Also I can't complain about the things I mentioned above like Pandora and I guess the wireless technology.
post #7 of 10 Old 03-07-2013, 04:12 PM
585-645-1006

You would likely be much better served connecting the optical cable from the Blu Ray player to the 1507 rather than from the TV as the TV is likely only able to pass stereo 2.0 audio while the Blu Ray player can pass the higher bitrate DD/DTS 5.1 audio on BDs which is very comparable to the HD audio tracks.

post #8 of 10 Old 03-07-2013, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

You would likely be much better served connecting the optical cable from the Blu Ray player to the 1507 rather than from the TV as the TV is likely only able to pass stereo 2.0 audio while the Blu Ray player can pass the higher bitrate DD/DTS 5.1 audio on BDs which is very comparable to the HD audio tracks.

Well the reason why I didn't do that is because my xbox and I only have 2 optical on the Denon and I had constantly switching the modes. Plus I am using HDMI from the bluray player to the tv and that is still digtial. I didn't think it mattered all that much, but suppose I will do that for just the bluray player if it matters and I will have the xbox just use its HDMI still to the TV and take another optical cable from the TV to the 2nd port of the Denon for the xbox to produce sound through the system.

Also the TV is a Samsung 40" LCD from 2010, it was the 4th best TV rated for 40" on Cnet. The only thing it doesn't have is apps. Which is a true bummer. Its been a great TV besides the fact that it already started to flashlight which really sucks on nice and inky black movies frown.gif
post #9 of 10 Old 03-10-2013, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter

okay. I switched it over. Not really seeing the huge difference but i didn't really check it out fully yet. I am keeping it mostly on DTS. I find it funny that it won't go on DTS at all in the bluray menus but will "click" as soon as the movie goes on and goes in dts lol
post #10 of 10 Old 03-10-2013, 08:02 AM
585-645-1006

Because the movie audio is in DTS and there is no audio track for the menus. smile.gif

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page