Bi-amping I Think - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 03-05-2013, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Need some help from the experts, will this work and is it bi-amping? The Onkyo Integra amps have dual power supplies, the right and left channels are completely separate from each other. I have three of these amps (winners of the Golden Ear Award), they are old but goodies.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-05-2013, 03:38 PM

Liked: 15
The only thing I would change would be running the left to one amp and the right to the other. Looks like you are running two left upper range and two right woofers.

Wishing I could post in the Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

post #3 of 6 Old 03-06-2013, 05:27 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
If I understand you right, you would run the left line feed from the preamp to one amp and the right line feed to the other amp? Would you then Y the feed into each amps right and left inputs?

post #4 of 6 Old 03-06-2013, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 261
I can't quite make out the connections on the amps, but you want L preamp to L speaker and R preamp output to R speaker, not mixed as you apper to have them. I would also get an active crossover instead of a simple Y if that is what you are indicating; there is virtually nothing to be gained from "passive" bi-amping. I would use one amp/speaker as you have shown for convenience; you can place the amps near the speakers and use very short cables from amps to speakers that way. The interconnects are low-level and can route further.

For example:
Preamp L out --> crossover --> "left" amplifier, highs to L amp input, lows to R amp input --> L amp out to L speaker highs (treble), R amp output to L speaker lows (bass)
Preamp R out --> crossover --> "right" amplifier, highs to L amp input, lows to R amp input --> L amp out to R speaker highs (treble), R amp output to R speaker lows (bass)

HTH - Don

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #5 of 6 Old 03-06-2013, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy S View Post

If I understand you right, you would run the left line feed from the preamp to one amp and the right line feed to the other amp? Would you then Y the feed into each amps right and left inputs?

That is correct.

post #6 of 6 Old 03-06-2013, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post

I can't quite make out the connections on the amps, but you want L preamp to L speaker and R preamp output to R speaker, not mixed as you apper to have them. I would also get an active crossover instead of a simple Y if that is what you are indicating; there is virtually nothing to be gained from "passive" bi-amping. I would use one amp/speaker as you have shown for convenience; you can place the amps near the speakers and use very short cables from amps to speakers that way. The interconnects are low-level and can route further.

For example:
Preamp L out --> crossover --> "left" amplifier, highs to L amp input, lows to R amp input --> L amp out to L speaker highs (treble), R amp output to L speaker lows (bass)
Preamp R out --> crossover --> "right" amplifier, highs to L amp input, lows to R amp input --> L amp out to R speaker highs (treble), R amp output to R speaker lows (bass)

HTH - Don

It is certainly better to use an active crossover, but without one you are just gaining power.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page