post #31 of 50 Old 03-08-2013, 03:39 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post

Would you guys say the 1913 is better than the E400? I'm thinking about getting that or the Sony 1030.
Any advice, I have about $400 to spend.

Comparable .. with the E400 picking up a few nice features as noted above although the 1913 is on clearance so likely a better price deal. Although one thing to note is that the E400 does not feature the SAVE/LOAD feature of the config file as does the 1913.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 50 Old 03-08-2013, 03:43 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyzzy01 View Post

Any information on when higher end models will be announced? I'm crossing my fingers for something no larger than my 3808 that has Audyssey MultiEq XT32... like a 3814, or the feature being added to 3314 (or whatever it will be in Denon's new naming scheme). 4520 is just too big.

AFAIK, the next wave of models won't be announced for another couple of months during their traditionally normal annual announcement period, although do bring with them a few new features as well. smile.gif

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
post #33 of 50 Old 03-12-2013, 09:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 887
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDEaston View Post

Is it really that much easier to pull the post rather than press on a spring clip? Not to mention if you are capable of stripping the wire on your own, most likely you can screw a binding post down on it.

Late to this party.... but I wonder if you have ever actually attempted to use bare wire with the old style screw-on binding post? The way they had it previously was quite difficult, especially with the close spacing of the binding posts, plus the wire didn't go straight in, you kind of had to jimmy it in at an angle to get it around the central post. The new layout (with the binding posts horizontally arrayed) looks like it will be MUCH easier to use with bare wire than the older screw-on type post.

Not defending their decision per se, but just pointing out that the new system does look much easier than the old one for bare wire use.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #34 of 50 Old 03-12-2013, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socketman View Post

They cant resist throwing around BS numbers for those who buy purely because of watts. Its 90@8ohms 125@6ohms-.7% distortion and I cant imagine where the 185w comes from. Hopefully someone honest will review this and give us the straight dope. Seems the receiver manufacturers are running out of features to add to next years model. Come on ATMOS .

They only do it because a good number of meat-heads actually believe there's a "real difference" between 60 and a "real" 100 watts a channel.

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

post #35 of 50 Old 03-12-2013, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

AFAIK, the next wave of models won't be announced for another couple of months during their traditionally normal annual announcement period, although do bring with them a few new features as well. smile.gif

I know I'm just one of a few that care, but I REALLY hope they either (on the CI models)

1. Bring BACK the ability to push digital inputs to the zones.

2. Introduce the ability to play any HDMI-inputted audio to the zones.

2 may very well be a pipe dream- although I'm convinced many would pay a pretty penny for it- but at least one again?

James

post #36 of 50 Old 03-12-2013, 09:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Your #2 already exists on the 4520ci in "all zone stereo" mode, similar to the "party mode" of some Yamahas. It allows the HDMI audio to broadcast to all zones as long as the same source is selected in each zone. So maybe this feature will trickle down (e.g. to the new 33xx equivalent), definitely not a pipe dream.

You will not get #2 as an INDEPENDENT option because that would require a second HDMI decoding path, but I could see that "party mode" type of functionality trickling down for sure.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #37 of 50 Old 03-12-2013, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The E200 actually does use spring clips, and while the new speaker posts on the E300/E400 cannot use banana clips, they are designed for more easier bare wire use of which the vast majority of buyers of these "lower" models likely use. You simply depress the post cap in and insert the bare wired into the post hole and release the cap. smile.gif

Call me crazy, but I LOVE these connectors if they're anything like those found on hi(gher)-end/output speakers/subs, like these (mouse over the connectors): http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=295-472

Very robust, fantastically easy to use and secure...and will take up to 10G wire for the overkill set. Personally, I've never understood the rabid obsession banana plugs get...they are MUCH more prone to popping out before a secure bare wire connection, are just another link in the connection that can fail, are not more likely to achieve a solid connection, and cost more money.

Well, I guess I DO get it: sounds like a AV hobbyists wet-dream after the aforementioned. rolleyes.giftongue.gifbiggrin.gif

Love em.

James

post #38 of 50 Old 03-12-2013, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

Your #2 already exists on the 4520ci in "all zone stereo" mode, similar to the "party mode" of some Yamahas. It allows the HDMI audio to broadcast to all zones as long as the same source is selected in each zone. So maybe this feature will trickle down (e.g. to the new 33xx equivalent), definitely not a pipe dream.

You will not get #2 as an INDEPENDENT option because that would require a second HDMI decoding path, but I could see that "party mode" type of functionality trickling down for sure.

Hence why I described it as a pipe dream. I'd say I want the identical audio going to all of my zones about 25% of the time. I understand the cost and complication of adding it, part of the reason why "we" were ok with "just" being able to send SPDIF to the zones for years...until they eliminated that on a flagship $2500 avr. Go figure. I don't doubt that they'll have "party mode" hdmi on lesser models soon, but that doesn't do much for those of us who want true multi zone capability.

James

post #39 of 50 Old 03-12-2013, 10:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

If it's THAT important to you to have "true multizone HDMI" you can implement it currently with one of the matrix-switching models (e.g. 3313ci or 4520ci) by adding a cheap, second HDMI receiver for the other "zones". For example, grab some random older HDMI receiver for $100 off craigslist and then feed it from the HDMI Zone output of the 3313ci, and you have a "true independent" multizone HDMI setup. In principle it's not that much different than adding another amp to power the other zones.

Hoping that mfgr's implement this within the AVR is definitely a pipe dream at this point. But I think the "party mode" functionality will trickle down eventually and it will satisfy a lot people who just want to be able to, for example, broadcast music or the audio from the football game to other parts of the house.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #40 of 50 Old 03-12-2013, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDEaston View Post

Is it really that much easier to pull the post rather than press on a spring clip? Not to mention if you are capable of stripping the wire on your own, most likely you can screw a binding post down on it.

Late to this party.... but I wonder if you have ever actually attempted to use bare wire with the old style screw-on binding post? The way they had it previously was quite difficult, especially with the close spacing of the binding posts, plus the wire didn't go straight in, you kind of had to jimmy it in at an angle to get it around the central post. The new layout (with the binding posts horizontally arrayed) looks like it will be MUCH easier to use with bare wire than the older screw-on type post.

Not defending their decision per se, but just pointing out that the new system does look much easier than the old one for bare wire use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post

Quote:

The E200 actually does use spring clips, and while the new speaker posts on the E300/E400 cannot use banana clips, they are designed for more easier bare wire use of which the vast majority of buyers of these "lower" models likely use. You simply depress the post cap in and insert the bare wired into the post hole and release the cap. smile.gif

Call me crazy, but I LOVE these connectors if they're anything like those found on hi(gher)-end/output speakers/subs, like these (mouse over the connectors): http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=295-472

Very robust, fantastically easy to use and secure...and will take up to 10G wire for the overkill set. Personally, I've never understood the rabid obsession banana plugs get...they are MUCH more prone to popping out before a secure bare wire connection, are just another link in the connection that can fail, are not more likely to achieve a solid connection, and cost more money.

Well, I guess I DO get it: sounds like a AV hobbyists wet-dream after the aforementioned. rolleyes.giftongue.gifbiggrin.gif

Love em.

James

agreed. These type of connectors should be on every receivers. The only reason I use banana plugs is because I'm not a hand contorsionist as batpig alluded to.
post #41 of 50 Old 03-12-2013, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If it's THAT important to you to have "true multizone HDMI" you can implement it currently with one of the matrix-switching models (e.g. 3313ci or 4520ci) by adding a cheap, second HDMI receiver for the other "zones". For example, grab some random older HDMI receiver for $100 off craigslist and then feed it from the HDMI Zone output of the 3313ci, and you have a "true independent" multizone HDMI setup. In principle it's not that much different than adding another amp to power the other zones.

Hoping that mfgr's implement this within the AVR is definitely a pipe dream at this point. But I think the "party mode" functionality will trickle down eventually and it will satisfy a lot people who just want to be able to, for example, broadcast music or the audio from the football game to other parts of the house.

Again. I do not necessarily need HDMI matrixing and I'm certainly not spending more money and adding another receiver to my rack. The SPDIF ability was sufficient and to many who spend this kind of money on a MULTI ZONE avr was widely implemented and lamented when it was nixed on the 4520. Anyone can read any of the existing threads on this site to verify. Declaring an AVR fit for "multi zone" use that can neither send discrete HDMI nor SPDIF signals to them is all-but inexcusable in 2013.

Just ask anyone with one of those new appletvs who cannot play it back in either of the two zones if someone dares to watch tv in the main zone.

I'm not going to clutter this thread with this anymore...$1,000-$3,000 AVRs that are essentially hamstringed to sending analog inputs to zones (unless playing the same HDMI signal across ALL) in 2013 is unacceptable to me and many others.

James

post #42 of 50 Old 03-13-2013, 11:28 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post

I know I'm just one of a few that care, but I REALLY hope they either (on the CI models)

1. Bring BACK the ability to push digital inputs to the zones.

2. Introduce the ability to play any HDMI-inputted audio to the zones.

2 may very well be a pipe dream- although I'm convinced many would pay a pretty penny for it- but at least one again?

James

People vary... I want Audyssey MultiEQ XT32 and more HDMI inputs, while I have a value of "0" to multizone-features. For that, I could get e.g. B&W A7
post #43 of 50 Old 03-15-2013, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 157

Local Fry's has the AVR-E400, 300 and 200 on display. Not that it's easy to tell them apart from last year's models.

post #44 of 50 Old 03-20-2013, 08:28 AM

Liked: 10
JD,
4. Listen to USB/Tuner/Network audio source while watching separate video source (to include HDMI for first time) (E300/E400)

Are these the first Denon receivers to have this capability? Or just the first entry level receivers? I have a 2310ci that I'm thinking of upgrading because I can't listen to Pandora while playing the PS3 ( among many other reasons )
post #45 of 50 Old 03-20-2013, 06:25 PM
585-645-1006

Yup ... AFAIK, first ever. The mid/upper levels as yet to be announced will also have this new feature. smile.gif

post #46 of 50 Old 06-16-2013, 08:37 AM

Liked: 10
Just picked a new E400 up at Fry's for $299! Was going to get a demo 1913 but happened across that deal out of blind luck. I have a couple basic questions on setup for you guys:

1) I prefer to listen in "All Zone" while watching TV (like 5CH on my 1909) but it defaults to Stereo when I turn it on - is there a way to set it to default to All Zone?

2) My wife actually just prefers to listen from the TV speakers while watching TV - right now I have an all HDMI setup - how do I set it up to do that? FWIW, I also got a Harmony 650 and am hoping to set up separate activities for listening thru the TV vs receiver when watching TV but when I set one up to control volume thru the TV and the other thru the receiver the sound still goes thru the receiver for both.

thanks in advance.
post #47 of 50 Old 06-16-2013, 10:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Just picked a new E400 up at Fry's for $299! Was going to get a demo 1913 but happened across that deal out of blind luck. I have a couple basic questions on setup for you guys:

I was wondering which Denon receiver they had on sale for $299. I'm out of town this weekend so couldn't stop by to see which one it is.

Afro GT
post #48 of 50 Old 06-16-2013, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

I was wondering which Denon receiver they had on sale for $299. I'm out of town this weekend so couldn't stop by to see which one it is.

Its the E400.

(2) Energy RC 70 towers
(1) Energy Veritas 2.0C center
(2) Energy Veritas 2.0R surrounds
(2) Energy RC LCR back surrounds
(1) Rythmik LV12R sub
(1) Denon 2112CI avr
(1) LG 55" LM7600 tv
post #49 of 50 Old 06-16-2013, 11:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

You all would have known this already if you were in the right thread! This is a defunct rumour thread, there is a new owners thread which would be a better place to post your questions.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #50 of 50 Old 06-16-2013, 12:23 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmykgolf View Post

1) I prefer to listen in "All Zone" while watching TV (like 5CH on my 1909) but it defaults to Stereo when I turn it on - is there a way to set it to default to All Zone?

2) My wife actually just prefers to listen from the TV speakers while watching TV - right now I have an all HDMI setup - how do I set it up to do that? FWIW, I also got a Harmony 650 and am hoping to set up separate activities for listening thru the TV vs receiver when watching TV but when I set one up to control volume thru the TV and the other thru the receiver the sound still goes thru the receiver for both.

thanks in advance.

Answered in the "2013 Denon AVR-E/X Models" thread ......

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1465528/the-official-2013-denon-e-series-x-series-avr-model-owners-thread-faq/700_100#post_23434072

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr E300 , Denon Avr E400 , Denon Avr E200
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page