Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 50 Old 03-05-2013, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Denon AVRs Targets Demand For Uncomplicated Setup, Use

Denon’s entry-level E series tops out with the $599-suggested 7.1-channel AVR-E400.

Mahwah, N.J. — Denon has begun shipping an entry-level series of A/V receivers (AVRs) targeted to entry-level purchasers said to be turned off by complicated setup procedures and controls.

“Denon brought user-friendly elements such as horizontal color-coded speaker terminals and a richer graphic setup assistant to provide consumers with new levels of user friendliness,” a spokesperson said.

The E series of AVRs consists of three models retailing for a suggested $249, $399 and $599. They will be promoted in POP material and advertising under the theme of “four E’s,” which stand for an Easy, Exciting Entertainment Experience, the company said.

All models get color-coded speaker terminals and matching-color cable tags to ensure the correct speaker-cable hookup out of the box. The two step-up models add “push-in” type speaker wire connections to further simplify speaker connections.

The top two models add what Denon called a more intuitive, easier to use setup assistant. The assistant uses an onscreen graphical display that combines large text and icons so users can easily make all necessary adjustments.

All three AVRs also come with four Quick Select buttons on the front panel and on the remote. The feature lets users press one button once to select the cable/satellite, Blu-ray, Game or aux inputs. That makes it unnecessary to toggle through all inputs to get to the preferred audio source.

Said Paul Belanger, technical product manager for Denon parent D+M, “Our designers and engineers were instructed to make whatever changes they deemed necessary to build a new type of receiver that would offer total ease of use, total ease of setup and the very best possible user experience.

With the launches, Denon is also bringing 4K by 2K passthrough and up-scaling down to a suggested $599 and maintaining the opening price for DLNA 1.5 networking, Internet music streaming, AirPlay and Made for iPod/iPhone front-panel USB port at $399. The $399 price point, however, gets Spotify for the first time, having previously started at $579.

Both networked AVRs stream vTuner Internet radio stations and the SiriusXM, Pandora and Spotify music services. They also stream music and photos from a networked PC and photos from the Flickr website.

The $399 price point remains the opening price for Audyssey MultEQ, Audyssey Dynamic EQ and Audyssey Dynamic Volume. MultEQ is an automatic room-acoustics measurement and correction technology. Audyssey Dynamic EQ maintains flat frequency response and maintains surround-channel perception when users turn down the volume. Audyssey Dynamic Volume, which includes Dynamic EQ, maintains a consistent volume level and flat frequency response when a TV program cuts to a commercial, when a TV channel changes, when video sources are switched, and when a movie or TV soundtrack transitions to louder or softer passages.

All models feature HDMI standby passthrough, enabling audio from a cable or satellite set-top box to passthrough its audio to a TV without having to turn the AVR on. The feature is designed for casual viewing of newscasts and other programming.

The opening-price $249 AVR-E200 is rated at 5x165 watts maximum, Dolby and DTS HD Audio decoding, and ability to customize preferred sound settings for each audio-source input. The AVR-E200 features four HDMI 1.4a inputs with 3D passthrough, including one on the front panel.

The $399 AVR-E300 features five HDMI 1.4a video inputs (one in front) and 5x175-watt maximum amplification.

The $599 AVR-E400 steps up to 7.1-channel capability with amplification rated at a maximum of 185 watts for each channel. The amp can be set to power a 5.1 surround system and drive second-zone stereo speakers. The AVR features six HDMI inputs, including one in front.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 Old 03-05-2013, 06:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Any links to the spec sheet for these available yet? 185wpc seems sceptical, to say the least.
post #3 of 50 Old 03-05-2013, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDEaston View Post

Any links to the spec sheet for these available yet? 185wpc seems sceptical, to say the least.

These are listed on the Denon, Crutchfield and Amazon sites..
Check there for more info...

Regarding the power output 165W x 5 for $249 seems like alot of power.. biggrin.gif
Now one doesn't need a separate component, power amplifier... eek.gif

Hmm..I wonder how they measure Max power... rolleyes.gif

Just my $0.02... wink.gif
post #4 of 50 Old 03-05-2013, 06:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 65
They cant resist throwing around BS numbers for those who buy purely because of watts. Its 90@8ohms 125@6ohms-.7% distortion and I cant imagine where the 185w comes from. Hopefully someone honest will review this and give us the straight dope. Seems the receiver manufacturers are running out of features to add to next years model. Come on ATMOS .
post #5 of 50 Old 03-05-2013, 07:00 PM

After looking at the spec sheet I am guessing it is dynamic power, with a 4 or even 2 ohm load. I have never seen Denon, or any other major manufacturer, for that matter, advertise this way. It's also odd that there is no 2 channel driven figure listed, at least not on Denon's site.

Maybe they should trademark their new way of advertising wpc ratings, mrwpc could work. Short for Mitt Romney watts per channel.
post #6 of 50 Old 03-06-2013, 04:58 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1838 Post(s)
Liked: 1718
Mfrs do what they must to sell their products. The important thing to note is that the standard 6/8-ohm ratings have not changed from their predecessor models noting the 171X series has been discontinued ...

1513 ---> E200
1613 ---> E300
1913 ---> E400

Batpig and I will be starting up a new Denon thread for these new models shortly (see last link in my sig); however, some of the notable new features include:

1. Return of AM tuner to all models
2. Easier to use as well as color coded speaker clips (E200) / posts (E300/E400)
3. Return of HDMI input assignment and addition of analog audio input assignment for first time (E300/E400)
4. Listen to USB/Tuner/Network audio source while watching separate video source (to include HDMI for first time) (E300/E400)
5. HDMI Passthrough setting split out from HDMI Control and defaults to ON (with standby source defaulting to CBL/SAT)

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #7 of 50 Old 03-06-2013, 06:01 AM

I guess none of the new models have MultEQ XT based on that conversion list jdsmoothie? Too bad to see the 1713 series discontinued, that was the line I was most interested in.
post #8 of 50 Old 03-06-2013, 12:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked: 1175
Quote:

After looking at the spec sheet I am guessing it is dynamic power, with a 4 or even 2 ohm load. I have never seen Denon, or any other major manufacturer, for that matter, advertise this way. It's also odd that there is no 2 channel driven figure listed, at least not on Denon's site.

Maybe they should trademark their new way of advertising wpc ratings, mrwpc could work. Short for Mitt Romney watts per channel.

Actual AVR E200 power ratings:

http://usa.denon.com/us/product/pages/productdetail.aspx?catalog=denonna_us&pcatid=avsolutions(denonna)&catid=avreceivers(denonna)&pid=avre200(denonna)

Power Output Per Channel(20Hz-20kHz, 0.08%THD@8ohm) 75 Watts
Power Output Per Channel(1kHz, 0.7%THD@6ohm) 110 Watts
Maximum Power Output Per Channel 165 Watts

Looks like 75wpc, which is hardly remarkable.

Also, the E200 has no Audyssey features at all.
post #9 of 50 Old 03-06-2013, 12:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked: 1175
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmunson View Post

I guess none of the new models have MultEQ XT based on that conversion list jdsmoothie? Too bad to see the 1713 series discontinued, that was the line I was most interested in.

AVR e300 and E400 have Audyssey Multieq

http://usa.denon.com/us/product/pages/productdetail.aspx?catalog=denonna_us&pcatid=avsolutions(denonna)&catid=avreceivers(denonna)&pid=avre300(denonna)

http://usa.denon.com/us/product/pages/productdetail.aspx?catalog=denonna_us&pcatid=avsolutions(denonna)&catid=avreceivers(denonna)&pid=avre400(denonna)
post #10 of 50 Old 03-06-2013, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Seems like almost no improvement over last years models. Instead of plugging into the plugs labelled center, you plug into the green plugs. Wow. That will make things much easier to setup. I wish they would put the labels on the back upside down since most people will plug in by looking over the unit from the top.

I like the idea of getting rid of the 30 rca connections that you typically see on receivers.
post #11 of 50 Old 03-06-2013, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

Actual AVR E200 power ratings:

http://usa.denon.com/us/product/pages/productdetail.aspx?catalog=denonna_us&pcatid=avsolutions(denonna)&catid=avreceivers(denonna)&pid=avre200(denonna)

Power Output Per Channel(20Hz-20kHz, 0.08%THD@8ohm) 75 Watts
Power Output Per Channel(1kHz, 0.7%THD@6ohm) 110 Watts
Maximum Power Output Per Channel 165 Watts

Looks like 75wpc, which is hardly remarkable.

Also, the E200 has no Audyssey features at all.

Yes I was able to find the rated output with what appears to be one channel driven. My question was what is the output with two channels driven? I have never seen a manufacturer not give a figure with at least 2 channels driven. It is a more realistic figure, in terms of real world scenarios.
post #12 of 50 Old 03-06-2013, 02:06 PM

Right. Sorry I should have been more clear, I meant the XT variant of MultEQ. I'm not sure of the real world difference between the two but I've read some good praise for it.
post #13 of 50 Old 03-06-2013, 03:15 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmunson View Post

Correct. The 171X series using XT was confusing. With the release of the new 2013 models, Denon is now making a clear distinction between the "lower" models and the as yet to be announced "higher" models.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
post #14 of 50 Old 03-06-2013, 03:19 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post

Seems like almost no improvement over last years models. Instead of plugging into the plugs labelled center, you plug into the green plugs. Wow. That will make things much easier to setup. I wish they would put the labels on the back upside down since most people will plug in by looking over the unit from the top.

I like the idea of getting rid of the 30 rca connections that you typically see on receivers.

Actually, items 3-5 I listed are fairly huge as far as improvements go as they have never been done before on models this low. smile.gif

post #15 of 50 Old 03-06-2013, 04:08 PM

Jd, you seem to be in the "know" with Denon products. I was curious about the new speaker terminals. Do you know if they will accept bananna plugs, spades, or pins? Or are they just for stripped wire?

If they dont accept these things then why not just use standard spring clips that other avr's use.
post #16 of 50 Old 03-06-2013, 04:44 PM
585-645-1006

The E200 actually does use spring clips, and while the new speaker posts on the E300/E400 cannot use banana clips, they are designed for more easier bare wire use of which the vast majority of buyers of these "lower" models likely use. You simply depress the post cap in and insert the bare wired into the post hole and release the cap. smile.gif

post #17 of 50 Old 03-06-2013, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Jd, you seem to be in the "know" with Denon products. I was curious about the new speaker terminals. Do you know if they will accept bananna plugs, spades, or pins? Or are they just for stripped wire?

If they dont accept these things then why not just use standard spring clips that other avr's use.

The E200 uses a spring clip type connection, and the E300/E400 use a binding post connection but no banana plug capability...
These trade-offs were for cost reasons...

post #18 of 50 Old 03-06-2013, 05:18 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code View Post

These trade-offs were for cost reasons...

Hardly ... these new posts are designed for easier use than standard screw type posts and actually cost almost double that of the standard type posts. wink.gif

post #19 of 50 Old 03-06-2013, 05:51 PM

Thanks for clearing that up. While I do understand the difference between a binding post and a spring clip, it is hard to determine the purpose of a "spring loaded binding post" that does not accept anything other than bare wire.

Is it really that much easier to pull the post rather than press on a spring clip? Not to mention if you are capable of stripping the wire on your own, most likely you can screw a binding post down on it.

I guess to make it short, I just dont see the point in a spring loaded binding post. If you want to make it easier why not just use a spring clip, rather than build and market something new, that in reality is the same as a spring clip. A true binding post has an advantage/versatility, over a spring clipp. Anyone that is capable of stripping the wire can also screw down a binding post, which is what most of us prefer.

It just seems like Denon is going the wrong way with their marketing here. Not only do they advertise 185wpc for an avr that actually gives 90wpc, they give you spring loaded binding posts limited to bare wire. Instead of a traditional 5 way binding post, yet act like its an improvement. These tactics will most likely work for some, but are a huge turnoff for others.
post #20 of 50 Old 03-06-2013, 06:10 PM
585-645-1006

Again, these lower level models are designed with buyers in mind who simply want a basic AVR setup ... no plans of changing things up after it's been wired ... likely never even heard of banana plugs (which is also likely the case of most of new AVS members posting on the forum for the first time looking to upgrade from the TV's speakers). Also keep in mind that price wise these models are in direct competition with HTIB setups which in some cases advertise total output of over 1000W. eek.gif Denon is just keeping the playing field level as the average buyer looks at the AVR power output as one of the best ways to compare different models/brands of AVRs.

post #21 of 50 Old 03-06-2013, 06:55 PM

I understand what you are saying, in a sence. But what is it about these binding posts that is easier to use than a spring clip, yet warrant that much more cost? If it costs more than a traditional binding post, why not just use a spring clipp. Since the only difference seems tp be you press one, and pull the other?

I understand that htib systems generally claim absurd watts. But its because they add everything together, avr amplification, speaker handling capabilities and so on. Its not right, i agree, but it seems Denon is now doing the same thing with theor avr's, wich are not htib units.
post #22 of 50 Old 03-06-2013, 07:43 PM

I don't dont want to sound like a Denon basher, because I am not. I have always respected the brand and you wont find a post here, or anywhere, where I havent spoken well about them. But this is a complete 180 degree turn in their marketing in my opinion. I guess its just a shock to me because they always gave realistic specs
post #23 of 50 Old 03-07-2013, 07:06 AM

Liked: 12
According to the specs, IP control via telnet is stripped from these new entry level models.

Anyone had a change to check this yet?
(or could give it a try?)
post #24 of 50 Old 03-07-2013, 12:24 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Batpig and I will be starting up a new Denon thread for these new models shortly...

I really appreciate you guys!

Upgraditis Anonymous
post #25 of 50 Old 03-07-2013, 05:25 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeRemote View Post

According to the specs, IP control via telnet is stripped from these new entry level models.

Anyone had a change to check this yet?
(or could give it a try?)

Are you referring to telenet via the RS-232 terminal? This has only been a feature of the "CI" models for awhile now and would be expected on the new 2013 higher level models as yet to be announced.

post #26 of 50 Old 03-08-2013, 04:48 AM

Any information on when higher end models will be announced? I'm crossing my fingers for something no larger than my 3808 that has Audyssey MultiEq XT32... like a 3814, or the feature being added to 3314 (or whatever it will be in Denon's new naming scheme). 4520 is just too big.
post #27 of 50 Old 03-08-2013, 04:51 AM

Quote:

Are you referring to telenet via the RS-232 terminal? This has only been a feature of the "CI" models for awhile now and would be expected on the new 2013 higher level models as yet to be announced.

The same remote control protocol as on the RS232 port is available on the LAN port. Although not in all countries listed as a feature, it's available on most Denon (and Marantz) AVR's down to the 1316.
Here for example the UK documentation, including the protocol spec for the 1316/1317 models:

http://www.denon.co.uk/uk/Product/Pages/Product-Detail.aspx?Catid=HomeTheatre&SubId=AVReceivers&ProductId=AVR1713

Same btw also works with some the latest CEOL models (N8) although with a limited feature set..
post #28 of 50 Old 03-08-2013, 07:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Would you guys say the 1913 is better than the E400? I'm thinking about getting that or the Sony 1030.
Any advice, I have about $400 to spend.
post #29 of 50 Old 03-08-2013, 07:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post

Would you guys say the 1913 is better than the E400? I'm thinking about getting that or the Sony 1030.
Any advice, I have about $400 to spend.
Quote:
Features of new models.

1. Return of AM tuner to all models
2. Easier to use as well as color coded speaker clips (E200) / posts (E300/E400)
3. Return of HDMI input assignment and addition of analog audio input assignment for first time (E300/E400)
4. Listen to USB/Tuner/Network audio source while watching separate video source (to include HDMI for first time) (E300/E400)
5. HDMI Passthrough setting split out from HDMI Control and defaults to ON (with standby source defaulting to CBL/SAT)

Well the E400 wont be $399 right away. Depends if items 1 and 3-5 matter to you. I like using banana plugs on my receiver and the E400 doesn't allow that.

Afro GT
post #30 of 50 Old 03-08-2013, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The E200 actually does use spring clips, and while the new speaker posts on the E300/E400 cannot use banana clips, they are designed for more easier bare wire use of which the vast majority of buyers of these "lower" models likely use. You simply depress the post cap in and insert the bare wired into the post hole and release the cap. smile.gif

Image is for the E300/400, the E200 uses a simpler plastic push tab type often used for antenna connections..

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr E300 , Denon Avr E400 , Denon Avr E200
Gear in this thread - E400 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page