Class D Amps - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-06-2013, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just finished reading this link on class D amplifiers http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Class-D_amplifier.

I get the basic concepts, but the advantages seem to be in cheaper manufacturing costs rather than better quality sound. Would you think that was a fair statement? What type of amplifier do you like the most?

Floyd

A lie can travel halfway around the world before the truth gets its shoes on. -- Mark Twain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2013, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floydster View Post

I just finished reading this link on class D amplifiers http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Class-D_amplifier.

I get the basic concepts, but the advantages seem to be in cheaper manufacturing costs rather than better quality sound. Would you think that was a fair statement? What type of amplifier do you like the most?

Floyd

Early Class D solutions had some audible negative byproducts, later Class D solutions were refined significantly and now can sound very good..
Regarding costs the output stage for Class D are cheaper, as large heat sinks are not required. Additional cost savings are possible depending upon power supply type and design. Going forward, within the next few years Class D will be the standard in AVRs as it already is in OE/aftermarket 12V, multi-media, all-in-1 systems and home theater subwoofers.

Just my $0.02... wink.gif
Old 03-06-2013, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code View Post

Early Class D solutions had some audible negative byproducts, later Class D solutions were refined significantly and now can sound very good..
Regarding costs the output stage for Class D are cheaper, as large heat sinks are not required. Additional cost savings are possible depending upon power supply type and design. Going forward, within the next few years Class D will be the standard in AVRs as it already is in OE/aftermarket 12V, multi-media, all-in-1 systems and home theater subwoofers.

Just my $0.02... wink.gif

Thanks for your opinion. It gives me an idea of where the market is headed and how the designs have progressed.

Floyd

A lie can travel halfway around the world before the truth gets its shoes on. -- Mark Twain
Old 03-06-2013, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 70
I do believe the future will be a higher efficiency design but I don't believe it has arrived quite yet, at least not for the masses. Class D or switching amps do a lot of things right and would not hesitate trying some for surrounds and maybe center but not mains.
The December issue of Stereophile reviewed a $50,000 and a $6,000 set of monoblocks by highly regarded companies - they know how to do sound. Now so many people say Stereophile and others just bow to the advertisers and give glowing reviews but they failed to recommend either. I also see where people jump on the class D bandwagon but after a while of living with it many switch back to class A/ B. I also believe this won't show in a blind ABX audition, you need to live with it. However, I will admit all my knowledge on this is second hand.
Perhaps NAD or Devialet or someone else will prove me wrong, I would like less heat in my media room.

Main Kef: Reference 205/2 & 202/2c, Surrounds: Kef XQ40, Velodyne Optimum 12, Integra DHC 80.3, Ayre K-5xeMP, Oppo BDP-103, Bryston 4Bsst2, Parasound Halo A31. Second B&W: 685 (3), CCM618, Def Tech Powerfield 1500, Onkyo TX-NR1008, Zone 2 Klipsch AW650.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Just to clarify, it is for music I'd want class AB for the mains. For movies not sure it would matter as much.

Main Kef: Reference 205/2 & 202/2c, Surrounds: Kef XQ40, Velodyne Optimum 12, Integra DHC 80.3, Ayre K-5xeMP, Oppo BDP-103, Bryston 4Bsst2, Parasound Halo A31. Second B&W: 685 (3), CCM618, Def Tech Powerfield 1500, Onkyo TX-NR1008, Zone 2 Klipsch AW650.