Parasound Halo A23 or New Classic 2125? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 03-06-2013, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Budget is not in play (the price difference is miniscule between the two). I've listend to the a23 and I liked it. However, I don't want to spend even $10 more if there is no difference in sound quality, especially when I personally prefer the cosmetics of the 2125 better.

Please, first hand experience only. I don't want to hear the theory which sounds better, etc.

Thank you very much beforehand.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-06-2013, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 63
No first hand experience but no brainer for me if price the same, Halo for sure.

Main Kef: Reference 205/2 & 202/2c, Surrounds: Kef XQ40, Velodyne Optimum 12, Integra DHC 80.3, Oppo BDP-103, Bryston 4Bsst2, Parasound Halo A31. Second B&W: 685 (3), CCM618, Def Tech Powerfield 1500, Onkyo TX-NR1008, DBP 2010, Samsung BD-C7900, Zone 2 Klipsch AW650. Sitting still CCM616, Kef...
post #3 of 7 Old 03-06-2013, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Price difference is there but miniscule ($150), I like the cosmetics of the cheaper model. If the sound quality is identical, I might as well buy the cheaper model because I like the look better. Only if the Halo is really a better amp I'll buy it albeit the ugly (IMHO, of course) appearance.

my home theatre

post #4 of 7 Old 03-07-2013, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I'd choose the Halo as well. Wider power bandwidth, higher damping factor and more importantly, higher current capacity. And XLR's are always nice to have if needed.

But the 2125 is still a great amp and has the Classic look. Halo stuff does kinda stick out like a sore thumb if you don't have anything like it in the rack. Most of my gear still looks more like the Classic design than anything else.

Have all that you want ... just want what you have.
post #5 of 7 Old 03-07-2013, 06:38 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I agree with Clarke - the better specs on the HALO are worth the extra $150. Whether this actually translates into a better sounding amp, well as you know, that is a another whole discussion. If it was me, I would spend the $150 extra just for the peace of mind of knowing I had the premium amp and not worry about whether it sounded better.

I am sure you are probably aware but will repeat anyway - the A23 is now available in black for the same price. This may help with the cosmetics preference that you mentioned. Good luck in whichever you choose. They are both great amps.

Parasound 5125, Parasound 2100, Pro-ject RM 5.1SE, Dynavector 10x5, Pro-ject Phono Box S, Pro-ject Speed Box II, Arcam FMJ CD17, Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Pioneer Elite BDP-52FD, Vienna Acoustics Bach Grands, Vienna Acoustics Theatro Grand, Wharfedale Diamond 9.2s, REL T-1 & Panasonic TC-P54S1
post #6 of 7 Old 03-07-2013, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thank you guys! I'll get the Halo then; you are right, at $150 difference, might as well get the "best" just in case it's actually better.

Again, thanks a lot!,

my home theatre

post #7 of 7 Old 03-07-2013, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Excellent point about the color finish Paraneer. I keep forgetting that since Halos always seem to be displayed in Silver. Personally, I like the smooth sculptural look. I'm sure David will be happy.

Heck, I'm still using an old HCA-855A in my current setup. Built like a tank and runs barely warm to the touch. Every time I go to replace it with something like the XPA-5, I just can't do it. I compare all of the specs and look at my room needs and it keeps money in my pocket and upgrad-itis at bay. Would like a higher current rating though. Speakers aren't challenging and neither are my listening levels but still prefer something like 45 amps. Maybe a used 1205A? smile.gif

Have all that you want ... just want what you have.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page