Advice on receiver - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 03-06-2013, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey there,

So I have a question and I'm looking for either straight out solution answers or suggestions on where to start looking in a focused way. I practice piano several hours a day and write so I'm not very up to date on the latest tech solutions.

I have a pair of old Sony speakers (model # SS-M90N - 6ohm impedance; max power input: 200W) that I used to run through a JVC CD player thing that has broken down. So I'm looking to upgrade my sound system. I would like to use the speakers for now (trying to save some money) but am thinking of eventually upgrading to some tower speakers. I am looking at a stereo solution - I do not have a TV or a game console - basically listening to music (mostly jazz, rock & classical) from my computer. I have a cat that likes wires so the less wires the better - if I could, I would like to stream the music wirelessly from my macbook pro (I guess through airplay would be easiest). And finally, I'd like to have it a bit future proofed (ie, when I upgrade the speakers to tower speakers; have an HDMI input for when I eventually get a TV/game console if I decide to get one in the next 3-5 years). I don't really care for 5.1 or 3D so that doesn't worry me too much.

So my question is, what is a good solution to go for? Should I be looking at certain Airplay enabled receivers? Should I just get a receiver + Apple TV for airplay? Should I get a receiver at all (or just go for an amp? & in that case, what amp?)?

My budget is around 300-400 dollars.

Thanks for your input,

gwyin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 03-07-2013, 06:07 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
If you don't have a TV, an Apple TV is going to be pretty wasted...
Generally, if you want HDMI inputs, network connectivity and airplay, you're looking at a receiver that's going to do surround sound anyway. Wireless is often an extra little dongle too.

post #3 of 3 Old 03-07-2013, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Sony 1030 ($399 most places right now). Has built in WiFi and blue tooth (no adapters needed). Airplay built in too.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_158STN1030/Sony-STR-DN1030.html

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page