Can you guys help me choose a new receiver? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 03-07-2013, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
MMMorish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm currently running an Onkyo 3007 that got plagued by the HDMI board issue and seeing that I'm out of warranty and don't have my bill of sale, I'm down creek! While I really liked my 3007 and got a great deal on it, I'm not so keen about spending that kind of money again on a receiver as I never utilized any of the high end features of the Onkyo, thus I'm looking to spend under $1000.

My home has a Control4 system installed which manages my distributed audio (with a C4 amp) and I'm currently running a 4x2 HDMI switch that handles the distributed video to my two televisions, so the new receivers main duty will be to run my home theater set up in my family room.

My integrator is suggesting the Marantz 5007 as a good choice, though, being that I like to explore all options, I'm open to suggestions to hear from more knowledgeable guys on the board if the 5007 is a good fit for my set up. I'd also love to hear other possible suggestions from other brands. I read that Marantz and Denon are practically "sisters/cousins" of each other so many features cross between the two. If so, are there any Denons that I should look at?

Your help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Cheers!
Nick
MMMorish is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 Old 03-07-2013, 12:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
afrogt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 23,164
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 389
What about the Pioneer SC-1222? Cost $549

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882117412

Afro GT
afrogt is offline  
post #3 of 10 Old 03-07-2013, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Kini62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 2,981
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Why not the new Sony ES-2800. It has home control built in and is out of the box ready to be installed in your system.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
Kini62 is offline  
post #4 of 10 Old 03-07-2013, 01:25 PM
Member
 
okibcn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Miami, FL, US
Posts: 135
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

What about the Pioneer SC-1222? Cost $549

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882117412

actually $529.99 with the promo code until 3/11.

Regards

If this post has been useful to you please Thumb it Up!

·· AV System
Receiver: Pioneer SC-1222K
Spkrs: homemade monitors + Energy Take Classic 5.1
Display: Samsung UN55ES8000
Src: Comcast DVR / Apple TV 3 / Xbox360 slim / HTPC / AirPlay / Pandora / Bluetooth*

*Pre-processor: Noozxoide EIZO-rewire PRO
okibcn is offline  
post #5 of 10 Old 03-08-2013, 01:50 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
MMMorish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post

Why not the new Sony ES-2800. It has home control built in and is out of the box ready to be installed in your system.

I am aware of the Sony with built in Control4 however, the processor is the like the older HC200 which is pretty well suited for a small condo/apartment. I'm running an HC800 for all my automation duties so that Sony would be an overkill. Besides, I've never been a Sony receiver fan.

As for the Pioneer, how does it compare witht the Marantz or perhaps the Denon 2313ci?

No Marantz love in here?
MMMorish is offline  
post #6 of 10 Old 03-08-2013, 05:35 AM
Member
 
dta721's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 83
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
If you go to the specific thread of Marantz sr5007 owners, you'll find lots of love there smile.gif!

I am not familiar with your home theater setup the way you described it. Perhaps you can turn that into some kind of a point form what your needs are, then it would be easier for those who wants to help:

- how many HDMI sources to switch?
- is there a need for 2 HDMI outputs?
- need for pre-outs to drive "hungry" speakers? or what kind of speakers in the setup?
- need for 2 or multi-zone (apparently yes)?
- upconversions?
...etc

As your integrator suggested the sr5007, ask him/her why not consider the nr1603? Then he (or she) may point out your specific needs that you don't even know? Or it may be his markup is higher for the sr5007 smile.gif!
dta721 is offline  
post #7 of 10 Old 03-08-2013, 06:55 AM
Member
 
okibcn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Miami, FL, US
Posts: 135
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I´m almost copying the same post all over, here we go:

I had a Marantz SR6003, and that was a huge improvement to my previous Onkyo TX-SR805 which was a better room heater than AV receiver. The SC-1222K brought new life to my speakers 3 months ago. I couldn't believe that a switched amplification stage (AKA Digital amplifier) could make such a difference! There are many users in the SC-1222K threads saying that it is better than some Denon, Marantz and obviously Onkyo, like javigonx who says that it is better than his other Denon 3311. The Pioneer has the Advanced MCACC that calibrates the listening environment in order to make it as close as possible to a THX room, far better than Audyssey MultEQ XT. It does a good job and it even allows you to tune up all the parameters to your preference. After discovering the Adv. MCACC I realized that Audyssey was like walking with the shoe laces tied together.

your candidate Marantz SR5007 is similar to the Denon AVR2313. Denon and Marantz are basically the same amplifier, both are brands of the same owner, D&M Holdings Inc. and both brands shares engineering, purchasing, manufacturing and distribution resources. Both amplifiers have a THD of 0.08% at 100W, really good for a traditional class AB amplifier but nothing compared to the Pioneer SC-1222K. It is a class D3 amplifier and features a THD of 0.008% at 100W, 10 times less than the other contenders. That is a whole order of magnitude that leaves the Marantz and Denon in the dust regarding sound fidelity.

The maximum real output power of the SC-1222K in multichannel mode @ 8ohm, 600W, can never be reached by the Marantz because the efficiency of a class AB amplifier near the non linear operation point is far from 100%. The SC-1222K can deliver 190 W/ch with 4 ohms speakers while still running cold. Yes, the SC-1222K is also 4ohm certified so it opens the door to another level of speakers.

I am sorry, but those amplifiers are far behind the SC-1222K in sound quality and technology. It is up to you, the three amplifiers are good and you won't be disappointed by any of them, but IMHO the SC-1222K is by far the best from the sound quality point of view within your price range.

Regards

If this post has been useful to you please Thumb it Up!

·· AV System
Receiver: Pioneer SC-1222K
Spkrs: homemade monitors + Energy Take Classic 5.1
Display: Samsung UN55ES8000
Src: Comcast DVR / Apple TV 3 / Xbox360 slim / HTPC / AirPlay / Pandora / Bluetooth*

*Pre-processor: Noozxoide EIZO-rewire PRO
okibcn is offline  
post #8 of 10 Old 03-08-2013, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
MMMorish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dta721 View Post

If you go to the specific thread of Marantz sr5007 owners, you'll find lots of love there smile.gif!

I am not familiar with your home theater setup the way you described it. Perhaps you can turn that into some kind of a point form what your needs are, then it would be easier for those who wants to help:

- how many HDMI sources to switch?
- is there a need for 2 HDMI outputs?
- need for pre-outs to drive "hungry" speakers? or what kind of speakers in the setup?
- need for 2 or multi-zone (apparently yes)?
- upconversions?
...etc

As your integrator suggested the sr5007, ask him/her why not consider the nr1603? Then he (or she) may point out your specific needs that you don't even know? Or it may be his markup is higher for the sr5007 smile.gif!

My home theater set up in my family room is as follows;
- 5.1
- Paradigm LCR mains/center and Paradigm AMS-250 rears
- Paradigm DSP-3200 sub
- Panasonic G25 50"

As for sources, I'm running a Boxee Box and a Panasonic BluRay. I will run a PS4 and FTA satellite in the near future, however, my HDMI switching is done through an external HDMI switch that distributes my the signal thought to my master bedroom. All my gear is in my rack in my basement.

As for multi-zone, isn't that something that my Control4 amp is doing now already? If the receiver has an extra zone it would be useful, perhaps for my patio, garage, ect..

I do want upconversions, especially since I don't plan to buy another receiver for at least 5 years or more, however, do want to upgrade my plasma in a couple years and 4K (if available to consumers by then) will be nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by okibcn View Post

I´m almost copying the same post all over, here we go:

I had a Marantz SR6003, and that was a huge improvement to my previous Onkyo TX-SR805 which was a better room heater than AV receiver. The SC-1222K brought new life to my speakers 3 months ago. I couldn't believe that a switched amplification stage (AKA Digital amplifier) could make such a difference! There are many users in the SC-1222K threads saying that it is better than some Denon, Marantz and obviously Onkyo, like javigonx who says that it is better than his other Denon 3311. The Pioneer has the Advanced MCACC that calibrates the listening environment in order to make it as close as possible to a THX room, far better than Audyssey MultEQ XT. It does a good job and it even allows you to tune up all the parameters to your preference. After discovering the Adv. MCACC I realized that Audyssey was like walking with the shoe laces tied together.

your candidate Marantz SR5007 is similar to the Denon AVR2313. Denon and Marantz are basically the same amplifier, both are brands of the same owner, D&M Holdings Inc. and both brands shares engineering, purchasing, manufacturing and distribution resources. Both amplifiers have a THD of 0.08% at 100W, really good for a traditional class AB amplifier but nothing compared to the Pioneer SC-1222K. It is a class D3 amplifier and features a THD of 0.008% at 100W, 10 times less than the other contenders. That is a whole order of magnitude that leaves the Marantz and Denon in the dust regarding sound fidelity.

The maximum real output power of the SC-1222K in multichannel mode @ 8ohm, 600W, can never be reached by the Marantz because the efficiency of a class AB amplifier near the non linear operation point is far from 100%. The SC-1222K can deliver 190 W/ch with 4 ohms speakers while still running cold. Yes, the SC-1222K is also 4ohm certified so it opens the door to another level of speakers.

I am sorry, but those amplifiers are far behind the SC-1222K in sound quality and technology. It is up to you, the three amplifiers are good and you won't be disappointed by any of them, but IMHO the SC-1222K is by far the best from the sound quality point of view within your price range.

Regards

Thanks for the suggestion. The SC-1222K isn't available in Canada, however, the SC-1227k is available at a cost of $899 right now on sale. While class D3 and MCACC interest me a lot, the lack of 4K upscaling/passthrough is a turnoff. Like I said above, I want to upgrade my plasma in a few years but don't plan to upgrade my receiver for a quite a while after.
MMMorish is offline  
post #9 of 10 Old 03-09-2013, 06:05 PM
Member
 
dta721's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 83
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMorish View Post

My home theater set up in my family room is as follows;
- 5.1
- Paradigm LCR mains/center and Paradigm AMS-250 rears
- Paradigm DSP-3200 sub
- Panasonic G25 50"

As for sources, I'm running a Boxee Box and a Panasonic BluRay. I will run a PS4 and FTA satellite in the near future, however, my HDMI switching is done through an external HDMI switch that distributes my the signal thought to my master bedroom. All my gear is in my rack in my basement.

As for multi-zone, isn't that something that my Control4 amp is doing now already? If the receiver has an extra zone it would be useful, perhaps for my patio, garage, ect..

I do want upconversions, especially since I don't plan to buy another receiver for at least 5 years or more, however, do want to upgrade my plasma in a couple years and 4K (if available to consumers by then) will be nice.

Based on your needs as above, the sr5007 is more than a good choice. If anything new, you seemed to reveal a requirement of up-conversion which was not mentioned in the original post. This turned out to be a deciding factor between the Marantz and Pioneer model. I think you exhausted your options smile.gif!

As for multi-zone, I don't want to mess with your integrator's job. He'll find the best use for the extra zone offered by the sr5007.
dta721 is offline  
post #10 of 10 Old 03-15-2013, 01:14 PM
Member
 
okibcn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Miami, FL, US
Posts: 135
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMorish View Post

My home theater set up in my family room is as follows;
- 5.1
- Paradigm LCR mains/center and Paradigm AMS-250 rears
- Paradigm DSP-3200 sub
- Panasonic G25 50"

As for sources, I'm running a Boxee Box and a Panasonic BluRay. I will run a PS4 and FTA satellite in the near future, however, my HDMI switching is done through an external HDMI switch that distributes my the signal thought to my master bedroom. All my gear is in my rack in my basement.

As for multi-zone, isn't that something that my Control4 amp is doing now already? If the receiver has an extra zone it would be useful, perhaps for my patio, garage, ect..

I do want upconversions, especially since I don't plan to buy another receiver for at least 5 years or more, however, do want to upgrade my plasma in a couple years and 4K (if available to consumers by then) will be nice.
Thanks for the suggestion. The SC-1222K isn't available in Canada, however, the SC-1227k is available at a cost of $899 right now on sale. While class D3 and MCACC interest me a lot, the lack of 4K upscaling/passthrough is a turnoff. Like I said above, I want to upgrade my plasma in a few years but don't plan to upgrade my receiver for a quite a while after.

I am afraid that ALL current 4K receivers may need to be replaced at some point anyway as they they only have HDMI 1.4(a) which only supports up to 4K 24hz when the future standard will be 4K 60hz and higher. It is like considering 1080i as full HD. It is simply not true.

We all will need the next version of HDMI with more bandwidth before jumping into the future 4K standard. It is a good marketing move trying to sell now a feature that no one will ever use. Try to ask yourself how many movies or TV channels have ever been encoded in 1080i and you will know how many movies are going to be encoded with the low quality 4K modes supported by current 4K receivers.

Regards

If this post has been useful to you please Thumb it Up!

·· AV System
Receiver: Pioneer SC-1222K
Spkrs: homemade monitors + Energy Take Classic 5.1
Display: Samsung UN55ES8000
Src: Comcast DVR / Apple TV 3 / Xbox360 slim / HTPC / AirPlay / Pandora / Bluetooth*

*Pre-processor: Noozxoide EIZO-rewire PRO
okibcn is offline  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off