what receiver to choose.... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 03-09-2013, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm in the process of getting a new AVR for my home theather... will be used with a Benq W7000 or possibly the W1500 when it arrives, screen will be a grandview 120''... as for speakers I currently use PSB Image series ( 2 x T5 towers, 2 B2 bookshelfs, a C8 center and a Sub 10''), was previously driven by a NAD T763 and having no HDMI ports would like to upgrade... here are what I have been looking at...

in Canada found these

Denon AVR3313CI found it for 999$ seems a good bang for the bucks... ease of use and setup... nice features... reliability ?
Denon AVR2313CI found it for 798$ is it more then enough vs the other Denon...
Pioneer Elite VSX-42 600$ seems to lack a bit of power... was told little tricky to setup, reliability vs Denon ?
Pioneer SC-1222-K only sold to Future Shop not sure why, is it worth it ?
Marantz SR7007 priced @ 1999$ ( pretty much identical to Denon but is 1000$ more not sure why ????)

mainly this will be for listening to

hockey games,
Movies 2D/3D,
Xbox360 games, PC Games

would like to know your appreciation of these models or if better choise exists...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-09-2013, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by deekay08 View Post

Pioneer VSX-1222-K only sold to Future Shop not sure why, is it worth it ?
I haven't seen such a model. There's an SC-1222-K, said to correspond to SC-1227-K in Canada, and to be similar to the Elite SC-61. This has gotten good notices here in several threads discussing it. (I have an SC-1522-K which I'm happy with, and I think the corresponding Canada model is SC-1527-K.)

Greg Lee
post #3 of 9 Old 03-10-2013, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
yes was my mistake... I have corrected it... so If i understand correctly this is the equal to the Elite version except for warranty being for 1 year instead of 2... are these usually reliable.. as for example Denon offers 3 yrs warranty.... from what I have read the audio quality from the Pioneer seems to be better then the Denon...
post #4 of 9 Old 03-10-2013, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 78
I can't say of my own knowledge how the SC-1222-K and the SC-61 correspond -- some users have concluded they are essentially the same except for warranty, 12V triggers, color of panel lights. All I know about warranties for Pioneers is from reading the Pioneer website. On reliability, my 4 Pioneer receivers have been very reliable. I don't know anything about Denons.

Greg Lee
post #5 of 9 Old 03-11-2013, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Subscribed as I am also looking for a new receiver in the $599-$999 range and have the same speakers more or less with the OP
( PSB Image T5 / C5 / B5 ) with the same issue ( current receiver has no HDMI and is 8 years old ( HK AVR430 )

I was looking into the following receivers but have no clue which would match best ( these might be others for you to look at as well ).
  • Denon AVR 3312CI
  • Marantz SR7002
  • Marantz SR5007
  • Onkyo TX-NR809 ( reading on reliablity issues ) not comforting.
  • Yamaha ( not sure )
  • HK ( not sure )

Accessories4less.com usually has some great deals.

Seems like we are both looking for the same thing, A newer receiver with HDMI / Room correction etc that would match the PSB's
good and be on a similar performance level as the unit it would be replacing.

Marantz SR5006 | PSB Image T5 / C5 | Klipsch RW-12D | Klipsch Quintet Rears ( being replaced asap ). | Tivo Series 3 DVR | SAMSUNG LNT4665F
post #6 of 9 Old 03-11-2013, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 355
All the AVRs mentioned are going to have nearly identical or identical sound. The only thing that really makes any one differ from another is the room correction software. IMO you should pick the one that has the room correction you like the best while still having the other features, warranty and price you want/like.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #7 of 9 Old 03-11-2013, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post

All the AVRs mentioned are going to have nearly identical or identical sound. The only thing that really makes any one differ from another is the room correction software. IMO you should pick the one that has the room correction you like the best while still having the other features, warranty and price you want/like.

Thanks for your reply, I guess Ill review which has the best room correction / features and reliability.. ( I have no clue which is better than another )
My HK sounds great just has no HDMI and newer correction / OSD / features etc. Its been great for the last 8 years.

Hope it helps OP as well

Marantz SR5006 | PSB Image T5 / C5 | Klipsch RW-12D | Klipsch Quintet Rears ( being replaced asap ). | Tivo Series 3 DVR | SAMSUNG LNT4665F
post #8 of 9 Old 03-31-2013, 07:51 PM

Went with a Marantz SR5006 form Accessories4less.com couldnt be happier, huge diff in sound for movies / multi-channel audio.

post #9 of 9 Old 03-31-2013, 10:36 PM

Liked: 21
You should look at the Anthem MRX as it has possibly the best room correction on the market that'll help with room flaws, this has a big effect on the sound. There's a review on a UK forum on the Onkyo 818, I believe, with the Audyssey MultEQ XT32 and one of the question he was asked was if the MRX 300 and ARC is better and the reviewer said he feels the Anthem sound quality is better and ARC compared to Audyssey XT32 was better as well, this was my finding as well when I AB it against Denon and Yamaha with their room correction on and off. I really wanted to compare the Anthem against Cambridge and Arcam in a AB test but due to none of those being around me and I'm getting a big itch to upgrade the older HK I might buy it tomorrow, if the dealer has a 300 in stock. You should really find an Anthem dealer near you and have them AB it against other brands they sell and hear for yourself.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page