Audio delay doing component audio from cable box to denon 1613? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 03-09-2013, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Hey guys. I have one of the more simple cable boxes as it only has component video and audio. There is no HDMI. I have the audio component connected to the audio component on my receiver. When I turn the TV on I have picture, but the audio takes a good minute in order for it to come through. When it begins the connection it says this, "H/HDMI1 D/None". I don't know if it's scanning for an HDMI input or not as I have no idea what this means.

Any clue why this is? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-09-2013, 10:56 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 1317
Yes. The HDMI inputs take priority, then digital, then analog in that order.

Also note there is a dedicated thread for Denon AVR-XX13 Owner's linked in my sig. Review posts #3-6 in that thread for additonal helpful information.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 10 Old 03-09-2013, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

So it takes a minute for it to recognize that I don't have an hdmi cable but rather a component cable? That seems rather odd. Is there anyway I can tell the receiver within the settings to bypass hdmi and digital and go straight component? I've tried looking but I don't see anything.
post #4 of 10 Old 03-09-2013, 11:56 AM
585-645-1006

The 1613 offers no free assignment of the HDMI inputs (ie. cannot set them to NONE) so they default to the source listed on the respective jack inputs. As a full minute does seem to be a bit long, you may want to try first unplugging the AVR for a few minutes and if that doesn't resolve the issue, then try resetting the microprocessor (p. 123 OM) although note that doing so will reset the unit to factory defaults as well as require you to run Audyssey again. Also, although your cable box may be antiquated, it more than likely still has either an optical or digital coax (orange) output jack that you would be better served using to get the DD 5.1 track to the AVR.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
post #5 of 10 Old 03-09-2013, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

The 1613 offers no free assignment of the HDMI inputs (ie. cannot set them to NONE) so they default to the source listed on the respective jack inputs. As a full minute does seem to be a bit long, you may want to try first unplugging the AVR for a few minutes and if that doesn't resolve the issue, then try resetting the microprocessor (p. 123 OM) although note that doing so will reset the unit to factory defaults as well as require you to run Audyssey again. Also, although your cable box may be antiquated, it more than likely still has either an optical or digital coax (orange) output jack that you would be better served using to get the DD 5.1 track to the AVR.

Cool. Thanks for the information. This cable box actually does not have an optical or digital port. I'm on a comcast promotion deal so I got the bottom end of the cable boxes. Oh well. I did a microprocessor reset when I first got the receiver so I don't think that's the cause. I should mention it's not awlays a minute, but it is anywhere between 30-60 seconds.

I don't know if it's my imagination or not, but the audio tends to fire up quicker if I set the AVR to Cable/SAT for the audio and then have my TV set to the HDMI input that is coming from the recevier to visually see the menu on my TV, as opposed to having the TV input on "TV" where I can get picture for the cable.

Would this make any difference?
post #6 of 10 Old 03-09-2013, 01:29 PM
585-645-1006

Not sure what you are referring to? The component video (r/g/b) cable from the cable box would be connected to the TV so that is the input that should be selected on the TV and the analog (r/w) cable would be plugged in to the SAT/CBL input on the AVR so that is the input that should be selected on the AVR.

post #7 of 10 Old 03-09-2013, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Not sure what you are referring to? The component video (r/g/b) cable from the cable box would be connected to the TV so that is the input that should be selected on the TV and the analog (r/w) cable would be plugged in to the SAT/CBL input on the AVR so that is the input that should be selected on the AVR.

I can select one of two inputs on my TV to watch TV: I can select the "TV" input which is the cable from the cable box to the TV, or I can select the component input on the TV that is from the cable box to my TV to get picture from the yellow input on the TV.

What I'm saying is that I can have the AVR set to Cable/SAT (which in this instance is the red/white audio cables coming from the cable box), but then have the input on my TV set to HDMI (The HDMI cable that is coming from the AVR to my TV). For whatever reason, if I have this input selected (HDMI) on my TV the audio appears to fire up quicker. This could be my imagination and that was my question if if this would have any impact. My guess is no, but I just wanted to ask.

Sorry if this sounds confusing, but you would understand if you saw it setup.
post #8 of 10 Old 03-09-2013, 04:07 PM
585-645-1006

Right. So first thing is that you're referring to a "composite" video cable rather than a "component" video cable. And if your "HDMI" input selection works better for you, then use it. If video quality is important to you, do yourself a favor and upgrade to an HD video box as it will well worth the extra expense. At the very least, use an external antenna to draw in your local TV channels which are usually broadcast in HD and are FREE. Also connect an optical cable from the TV to the AVR to pass the DD 5.1 audio track from the HD channels to the AVR. smile.gif

post #9 of 10 Old 03-09-2013, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Right. So first thing is that you're referring to a "composite" video cable rather than a "component" video cable. And if your "HDMI" input selection works better for you, then use it. If video quality is important to you, do yourself a favor and upgrade to an HD video box as it will well worth the extra expense. At the very least, use an external antenna to draw in your local TV channels which are usually broadcast in HD and are FREE. Also connect an optical cable from the TV to the AVR to pass the DD 5.1 audio track from the HD channels to the AVR. smile.gif

Thanks so much for the help smoothie. I really do appreciate it. So, if I have the coaxial cable going from the cable box to the TV, and then a optical cable from the TV to the AVR, I should be set to go for sound, correct? I then wouldn't even have to mess with the composite cables at all.
post #10 of 10 Old 03-09-2013, 06:11 PM
585-645-1006

In theory, yes, as long as the TV cooperates. smile.gif

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page