Need New Receiver, Pioneer SC-61 or SC-65? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 03-10-2013, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Hi all,

I need to upgrade my receiver, an old Pioneer Elite VSX-41. I have Klipsch RF16 towers, and RC3 center, (I think) a 10' Sub and rears from Klipsch as well. All bought near 8 years ago. The Pioneer just wasn't enough to power everything, IMO. The center won't come through well, and I've done all the adjustments I can through the years. I'm told the receiver isn't enough to power the towers and then the center sufficiently.

Anyway, I'm in the market for a new receiver. Best Buy just listed (in store) an SC-65 for $999. They have the SC-61 $100 more! I know I can price match and get the SC-61 for $800 or so. My budget is $1k or a little more, not much. After looking at the specs, is the SC-65 really worth the extra cash? I know it's normally $500 more. If I get the SC-61, I'm thinking I can invest in a new universal remote or something else. I'll do the SC65 if really a steal though.

I'm a family man that enjoys movies, do like music a ton as well. Use our system for pretty much that. Don't have a blue ray player yet, our Sony WEGA is still going strong after 8 years or so, but doesn't support 1080P. TV will be later this year. (way later.)

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-10-2013, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 75
I think the SC-61 is a very good receiver, and at twice the price, the SC-65 is even nicer. I have the non-Elite version of the SC-65, the SC-1522-K, which I just got from Amazon for $1k. It's got two additional channels and has a little more power per channel. My SC-1522 has a mode "optimum surround" which does a nice job with dialog. (I think your problem hearing dialog is unlikely to be fixed by more power, though.)

Greg Lee
post #3 of 11 Old 03-10-2013, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. I just don't know what else it could be. I have been told that because the receiver is powering towers, they do that first and then not enough to power the center. As I type that, it sounds stupid, but I'm not tech savvy. I know I could use a new receiver anyway, that is more up to date. With the huge price drop, is the sc-65 worth the extra 200?
post #4 of 11 Old 03-10-2013, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter

Now I'm just mad, but what would I expect from best buy? I just looked at the vs -41 specs. 110w per channel. The sc-65 is 130w per channel. Shouldn't make any difference if I run towers, correct? I didn't think I I bought crappy speakers? I have done tests galore and adjusted settings, and the dialog still stinks compared to the rest of the sound. I still want a new receiver, but will be upset if I have the same issues.
post #5 of 11 Old 03-10-2013, 09:41 PM

Liked: 10
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882117412 $429

Same as the SC-61 without the 12 volt triggers, 5 less watts, 1 year warranty instead of 2(not an issue in my book), blue light on the power button, and blue text on the display instead of amber.

Power is not your problem. Klipsch are usually very efficient and easy to drive. It could be a placement issue. Make sure your center is aiming towards your ears, at your listening position.
post #6 of 11 Old 03-10-2013, 09:56 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, thanks. I'll look into this more. The center is in the TV stand, and more at chest level than ear, but without mounting it above the TV, which would be WAY high, damn near the ceiling, it's the best it can be. I wouldn't think it would be THAT big of a difference, it's very noticeable.

Still looking at newer receiver that has more bells and whistles, the VSX-41 doesn't even have HDMI I don't think. But, I'll not rush to anything.
post #7 of 11 Old 03-11-2013, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter

Wanted to bump this, to address my original question, and not concentrate on the dialog/center speaker issue I'm having....

SC-61 or SC-65? I realize the 65 has more bells and whistles, doesn't seem like THAT much difference though. It's going into a small room. But, for for $200 extra, is it worth the upgrade?

Best Buy near me has the 65 for $999, and if I price match the 61, I'd get a little over $800. Basically, 200 bucks. Worth it to just get the 65 in your opinions?

Thanks all.
post #8 of 11 Old 03-11-2013, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by RottScott View Post

Basically, 200 bucks. Worth it to just get the 65 in your opinions?
For me, yes, because I have 11 speakers I want to use. The SC-1522-K has 11 speaker terminals (though I can use only 9 at a time). For you? Can't say.

I think the price premium of the 9.2 AVR is more like $500, since Newegg is selling the non-Elite SC-1222-K for $550 minus discounts.

Greg Lee
post #9 of 11 Old 03-11-2013, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input Greg, appreciate it.
post #10 of 11 Old 03-11-2013, 08:44 PM

Liked: 11
Spend the money on the 65 vs the 61
Buy forward technology in the 65 if you plan to keep this receiver for 4 years plus
Look at the specs and features to see if you will use added features
I have been shopping the 61 and 65 for past for 2 months. Went in to Best Buy 3/09/13 with offer to buy 65 for $968.00 and they refused to match, so price now seems realistic.
Pioneer / Best Buy will liquidate as new models become available.
Price might come down, but you will have to wait 1- 2 months. As you said this price is excellent.
I think Square Deal has the best Extended Warranty - do the research.
Hope this helps.........
RottScott likes this.
post #11 of 11 Old 03-11-2013, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipn View Post

Spend the money on the 65 vs the 61
Buy forward technology in the 65 if you plan to keep this receiver for 4 years plus
Look at the specs and features to see if you will use added features
I have been shopping the 61 and 65 for past for 2 months. Went in to Best Buy 3/09/13 with offer to buy 65 for $968.00 and they refused to match, so price now seems realistic.
Pioneer / Best Buy will liquidate as new models become available.
Price might come down, but you will have to wait 1- 2 months. As you said this price is excellent.
I think Square Deal has the best Extended Warranty - do the research.
Hope this helps.........

Thanks for the feedback, it did help. I went ahead and did the 65. Hurt to spend that much, but it is what it is. No store had it stocked, so I have to pick it up on Friday. I ran tests on my speakers today, everything is fine. Got the "genie" thing from DTV today, and they tested and retested everything, and it seems my current receiver isn't playing digital output, hence the no sound in my system right now. (not sure if I'd commented, we had a power outtage, no sound now from TV, thought it was the box) So, it plays analog, and I have to crank the receiver WAY up to even hear it. I think the receiver is just about done for at this point, and if it isn't, I am mentally done with it. So, I'm looking forward to the 65. 2 year mfg warranty is good enough for me, didn't do anything extended.

Thanks again. Of course, now I need a new TV. biggrin.gif
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Pioneer Elite Sc 61 7 2 Channel Network Ready Av Receiver , Pioneer Elite Sc 65 9 2 Channel Thx Select 2 Plus A V Receiver

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page