The "Official" Lexicon Processor Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 44 Old 03-12-2013, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 23
With the apparent demise of the SMR forums I thought it would be a good idea to have a source for information on the set-up and operation of Lexicon HT processors. Even though Lexicon has fallen behind on the latest technologies their processors are still very impressive performers and are owned by many forum members. I believe the MC-12 platform will be a classic. I personally own a MC-12B v5.25 EQ, and, a DC-1 v4 (presently in storage). Along with the analog outputs of my Oppo BDP-103 Blu-ray player I am able to enjoy the latest codecs.

I'll be the first to post a question regarding the Lexicon's bass management: I use only one sub, a Seaton Submersive. I have it connected to the left subwoofer jack, and, have the LFE turned off in the set-up menu. This is what is recommended. However, and this is what I am unclear on, with the LFE turned off where does the LFE program material go? Is it routed to the L/R subwoofer outputs?

David

David Lynch Current Equipment: Marantz AV8801, Proceed HPA3, Parasound HCA-1206, Aerial Acoustics LR5's (LCR), Aerial Acoustics LR3's (sides), RBH in-walls (rears), Seaton Submersive, Marantz VP15s1, 106" Carada BW screen, Oppo BDP-103.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 Old 03-12-2013, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 75
let me get this straight...

you have a pre/ pro that recommends not using the LFE input supplied...and turning off the LFE in the setup menu

why do they recommend that?
post #3 of 44 Old 03-13-2013, 06:20 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefthandluke View Post

let me get this straight...

you have a pre/ pro that recommends not using the LFE input supplied...and turning off the LFE in the setup menu

Well, you can see why I am a little confused.

This was a suggestion by a member at SMR forums based on my situation. The Lexicon has a pretty sophisticated bass management system, which, can be configured various ways depending on the number of subs in use, how the subs are used (stereo, single, LFE), and where the speakers are crossed over to the subs.

I was looking for suggestions from other Lexicon users, who may be using a single subwoofer, as to how they have their subwoofer connected. I am using Aerial Acoustics LR5's for L/C/R which I have crossed over at 80 hz.

David

David Lynch Current Equipment: Marantz AV8801, Proceed HPA3, Parasound HCA-1206, Aerial Acoustics LR5's (LCR), Aerial Acoustics LR3's (sides), RBH in-walls (rears), Seaton Submersive, Marantz VP15s1, 106" Carada BW screen, Oppo BDP-103.
post #4 of 44 Old 03-13-2013, 04:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1538 Post(s)
Liked: 1047
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefthandluke View Post

Because the pre-pro has 3 outputs for subwoofers: Left Sub, Right Sub, LFE. That last one outputs only contents from the LFE channel, assuming the source has a .1 channel. If there is no .1/LFE channel in the source (like on a 2-channel CD), then that output is silent.

For folks who don't want to use a separate subwoofer dedicated solely to LFE duties, they can turn off LFE in the menu and the contents of the .1/LFE channel will be sent to the Left Sub and Right Sub outputs.

For folks who don't want to use more than one subwoofer, they can flip a switch in the menu to turn the stereo subs to mono, so that the same content is sent to both outputs (connect your single sub to either output).

Keep in mind that subwoofers get bass from 2 sources: derived bass that has been filtered from any channel set to small, and discrete bass from the discrete .1 channel. Just because there is an option to have a dedicated LFE subwoofer doesn't mean you are required to use one (the contents of that channel will simply be routed to the other subwoofer outputs).

Sanjay
post #5 of 44 Old 03-13-2013, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post

Because the pre-pro has 3 outputs for subwoofers: Left Sub, Right Sub, LFE. That last one outputs only contents from the LFE channel, assuming the source has a .1 channel. If there is no .1/LFE channel in the source (like on a 2-channel CD), then that output is silent.

For folks who don't want to use a separate subwoofer dedicated solely to LFE duties, they can turn off LFE in the menu and the contents of the .1/LFE channel will be sent to the Left Sub and Right Sub outputs.

For folks who don't want to use more than one subwoofer, they can flip a switch in the menu to turn the stereo subs to mono, so that the same content is sent to both outputs (connect your single sub to either output).

Keep in mind that subwoofers get bass from 2 sources: derived bass that has been filtered from any channel set to small, and discrete bass from the discrete .1 channel. Just because there is an option to have a dedicated LFE subwoofer doesn't mean you are required to use one (the contents of that channel will simply be routed to the other subwoofer outputs).

Sanjay-

Thanks for clearing my confusion. I was not aware that bass from the LFE channel was routed to the L/R sub outputs when LFE is set to off.

David

post #6 of 44 Old 03-13-2013, 08:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Did you buy the Oppo unit that Lexicon put their faceplate on?
post #7 of 44 Old 03-14-2013, 06:18 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bo130 View Post

Did you buy the Oppo unit that Lexicon put their faceplate on?

No, I bought the Oppo unit that Oppo put their own face-plate on. Anyway, why does that matter? Is Lexicon the first and/or only company to do that? Other companies trade technologies and put their own brand-names on other's products.

post #8 of 44 Old 03-14-2013, 09:17 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Using MC 8B. Question is whether the unit should be in 'Standby mode' rather than turning off at the rear power switch. Use the unit most of the time.
post #9 of 44 Old 03-14-2013, 11:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlynch View Post

I was not aware that bass from the LFE channel was routed to the L/R sub outputs when LFE is set to off.
Sure, where else is it going to go? And if the system is configured with no subs, then the LFE channel is routed to speakers. This is common to most receivers and pre-pros, not anything unique to Lex.

Sanjay
post #10 of 44 Old 03-14-2013, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post

Using MC 8B. Question is whether the unit should be in 'Standby mode' rather than turning off at the rear power switch. Use the unit most of the time.

Using the main switch to cycle the power is wearing on the power supply. If you use your MC-8 on a regular basis I would recommend using the stand-by button. I would only use the main switch for longer down-times.

post #11 of 44 Old 03-14-2013, 11:09 PM

Quote:

Using the main switch to cycle the power is wearing on the power supply. If you use your MC-8 on a regular basis I would recommend using the stand-by button. I would only use the main switch for longer down-times.

Thanks...
post #12 of 44 Old 03-14-2013, 11:12 PM

My two THX Ultra2 subwoofers are placed at each rear corner of the room which is about 1 to 2 feet away from the acoustic wall with bass traps. Should the Boundary Gain Compensation be turned 'off' or 'on.? Secondly, since playing high definition sound, should the Bass Peak Limiters be used? According to the manual, it is meant for DD & DTS (ES) sound. Any experience and advise is greatly appreciated.....
post #13 of 44 Old 03-15-2013, 02:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Yes, I would turn Boundry Gain Compensation off.

No need to use the Bass Peak Limiter unless you hear your subs distorting.

Sanjay
post #14 of 44 Old 03-15-2013, 03:17 AM

Quote:

Yes, I would turn Boundry Gain Compensation off.

No need to use the Bass Peak Limiter unless you hear your subs distorting.

Thanks, Sanjay.....
post #15 of 44 Old 03-17-2013, 07:26 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I have my MC-12B EQ v5.25 system set-up as 5.1 speakers as my listening spot is directly against the rear wall. I dont have enough distance to use the 7.1 as side speakers.

I am wondering if I could use the side speaker outputs as front height speakers? Has anyone tried this, or, does anyone have any input as to how this arrangement might sound?

post #16 of 44 Old 03-19-2013, 04:08 AM

Have similar setup like yours 7.1 with sitting sofa against the rear wall. Just calibrate accordingly with SPL meter to each of the speaker placement, with measured distance for each of them too. So far, so good even though it might not be ideal for music listening only. However, when I played with 5.1 analog bypass, I would forgo the rear speakers....sad...But this only happens when I am watching movie via analog sound....
post #17 of 44 Old 03-19-2013, 04:14 AM

Want to share something....My MC 8B since 2004 had replaced the power card twice as the unit was behaving strangely with repeating diagnostic sequences....Lately, it also had similar behaviour. Rather than having the agent to replace it again...opened the cover, sprayed with Electrical Contact Cleaner, the internal electronic contacts as well as the connecting cables to the electrical boards...and lo & behold...it is up and running as though as there is a new life..with no more repeated diagnostic problem....Have been running it for the past few days and it is fine! Wondering if anyone had similar problem and how did it got rectified?
post #18 of 44 Old 03-19-2013, 04:21 AM

Anyone knows when is the replacement for the MC 12 HD yet? Supposed to be last year but seem to be lost in transition.....
post #19 of 44 Old 03-19-2013, 11:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I am wondering if I could use the side speaker outputs as front height speakers? Has anyone tried this, or, does anyone have any input as to how this arrangement might sound?
If you use the Side outputs for heights and the Rear outputs for sides, then the sounds intended to come from your sides would instead come from above you and sounds intended to come from behind you would instead come from your sides.

Sanjay
post #20 of 44 Old 03-19-2013, 11:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post

Anyone knows when is the replacement for the MC 12 HD yet? Supposed to be last year but seem to be lost in transition.....
At CES last year (2012), Lexicon reps said that they had cancelled their MP-20 audio & video processor, mostly for problems that had to do with the latter (video processing). So it definitely wasn't supposed to released last year, considering the cancellation in January. At CES this year (2013), Lexicon's parent company Harman appeared to be concentrating on their biggest revenue streams, like car audio (75% of Harman's income) and custom-install products like JBL Synthesis systems. Not much talk about their consumer brands like Lexicon and Mark Levinson.

I buy surround processors for the surround processing, so I have been looking forward to the successor to Lexicon's Logic7 processing: QuantumLogic Surround. It wouldn't matter to me if the box it came in had a Levinson, Synthesis, Lexicon or even Harman/Kardon faceplate; I just want the processing technology. With that in mind, I asked when I would be able to buy a pre-pro with QLS. They said that a Lexicon branded pre-pro was likely a couple years out and that I would probably be able to get QLS in a Synthesis branded pre-pro sometime sooner. Aside from that, they had no other info or timeline.

Sanjay
post #21 of 44 Old 03-19-2013, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:

At CES last year (2012), Lexicon reps said that they had cancelled their MP-20 audio & video processor, mostly for problems that had to do with the latter (video processing). So it definitely wasn't supposed to released last year, considering the cancellation in January. At CES this year (2013), Lexicon's parent company Harman appeared to be concentrating on their biggest revenue streams, like car audio (75% of Harman's income) and custom-install products like JBL Synthesis systems. Not much talk about their consumer brands like Lexicon and Mark Levinson.

I buy surround processors for the surround processing, so I have been looking forward to the successor to Lexicon's Logic7 processing: QuantumLogic Surround. It wouldn't matter to me if the box it came in had a Levinson, Synthesis, Lexicon or even Harman/Kardon faceplate; I just want the processing technology. With that in mind, I asked when I would be able to buy a pre-pro with QLS. They said that a Lexicon branded pre-pro was likely a couple years out and that I would probably be able to get QLS in a Synthesis branded pre-pro sometime sooner. Aside from that, they had no other info or timeline.

Sanjay..
As you may know the high-end brands are now under the Life-Style group not Pro...
And their priority is complete systems such JBL-Synthesis, not individual components except the power amplifiers from Crown..
Since Dr.Harman passed on and new management arrived on the scene they have cut back significantly in their research & development for the consumers side...
They have developed some incredible audio DSP algorithms but they are applying these to the 12V OE category which is about 68% of their corporate revenue..

Just my $0.02.. 👍😉
post #22 of 44 Old 03-22-2013, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I have another question regarding bass management in the MC-12B.

I am using an Oppo BDP-103 as a player and decoder. I am using its analog outputs into the Lexicon's 5.1 analog input. I have the Lexicon crossing over all speakers at 80hz to the sub. I have LFE turned off, and, subs set to mono.

I know the SW signal is reduced by 10 db in the Oppo, so, I need to compensate for that by boosting the SW in the Lexicon by 10 db. What I have done is adjust the Logic7 mode setting by boosting the sub by 10db.

Is this the correct way to compensate for the -10db analog SW out? Isn't it also adding 10db to the bass that was re-directed from the main channels?

I don't see how to boost the subwoofer without also boosting the re-directed bass. If I have gone about this wrong, then, can someone please explain to me the proper way to correct for this -10db?

post #23 of 44 Old 03-22-2013, 11:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

David,

You don't need to manually compensate for the LFE channel, because it will automatically be restored to its intended level after bass management. In a mixing studio, the LFE channel is actually the same level as other channels, but it is monitored 10dB higher (i.e., the .1 track itself is not louder, they just turn up the level of their subs by 10dB). At home, this level boost is done in the analogue domain, as part of normal decoding and playback on consumer gear.

Sanjay
post #24 of 44 Old 01-27-2014, 07:46 PM

"Want to share something....My MC 8B since 2004 had replaced the power card twice as the unit was behaving strangely with repeating diagnostic sequences....Lately, it also had similar behaviour. Rather than having the agent to replace it again...opened the cover, sprayed with Electrical Contact Cleaner, the internal electronic contacts as well as the connecting cables to the electrical boards...and lo & behold...it is up and running as though as there is a new life..with no more repeated diagnostic problem....Have been running it for the past few days and it is fine! Wondering if anyone had similar problem and how did it got rectified?"

Finally after several years, managed to find the problem of the repeating diagnostic sequences of the MC 8B sound processor. Understand that there are others who have similar problems. Well according to the Important Safety Instruction of the Manual, it states among other things this particular statement "NEVER ATTACH AUDIO POWER AMPLIFIER OUTPUTS TO ANY OF THE UNIT'S CONNECTION." Unfortunately, I did it as I had an Onkyo Power Amp with internal HD sound decoding abilities. So, I had my HTPC Asus HDAV Sound Card with 7.1 analog outputs to Onkyo and from there connected to MC 8B for bypass and finally to external Rotel power amp. Big mistake!

Now, the HTPC sound card is connected directly to the MC 8B for 5.1 analogy pass through and the other additional rear outputs are directly to the Rotel amp. Amazing high sound definition reproduction with tremendous dynamic bass throughput! Wow...and wow am in the midst of action and crystal clear dialogue and sense surround environment! Lesson learnt---Read the Manual carefully.smile.gif
post #25 of 44 Old 02-11-2014, 11:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hope I'm in the right thread here.

I have a Lexicon MC-12 V5.00 that has been laying dormant for quite a few years. Is there a market for these 'vintage' processors?

Thanks!
post #26 of 44 Old 02-12-2014, 12:28 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Absolutely, I've seen them sell on eBay quite a bit when I was looking at them for a multi-channel volume control for 4-way active speakers.

Anthem MRX-500 - Vincent SAV-P200 - RAW Acoustics Lambda Plus arrays, Apex C II center - HT4 tower surrounds - CSS WR.30 sides - Rythmik FV15HP - Vizio XVT553SV - Xbox One - Xbox 360 - WD Live TV - QNAP TS212 NAS w/WD Red drives - APC H15BLK
post #27 of 44 Old 05-10-2014, 08:07 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all!

Is there anyone using a Lexicon MC-12? I do and I still love it! smile.gif

But I have a question, using the MC-12 NON-HD and a Oppo BD-105D.

Today I connect the Oppo the first time with a 5.1 analog cable to the MC-12. Set all LS at the Oppo menu to Large and 5.1. Then I configured the MC-12 and everything works fine, besides one thing.

The red LED lights sometimes! eek.gif

The manual says that this is an A/D overload. eek.gif What can I do now? Is this really a problem for the MC-12? Does anyone else have the problem?

I am using a MC-12B EQ V5.25

Regards
Michael
post #28 of 44 Old 05-10-2014, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Don't have MC-12 but I do have MC-8 with Oppo BD, 5.1 out.

Why large? Use the Oppo's bass management (not as good as Lex obviously but better than nothing)
Make sure you select 5.1 bypass, I think the MC-12 has ability do digitise it. Although I guess if you want to apply Lex BM, or Logic 7 you'd want to do that.
Try adjusting the Oppos channel level. I think you can adjust the MC-12 5.1 input levels too?

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #29 of 44 Old 05-10-2014, 10:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaako View Post

The manual says that this is an A/D overload. eek.gif What can I do now?
Isn't there an analogue input level adjustment that you can attenuate to keep from overloading the A/D converters?

Sanjay
post #30 of 44 Old 05-10-2014, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaako View Post

Hi all!

Is there anyone using a Lexicon MC-12? I do and I still love it! smile.gif

But I have a question, using the MC-12 NON-HD and a Oppo BD-105D.

Today I connect the Oppo the first time with a 5.1 analog cable to the MC-12. Set all LS at the Oppo menu to Large and 5.1. Then I configured the MC-12 and everything works fine, besides one thing.

The red LED lights sometimes! eek.gif

The manual says that this is an A/D overload. eek.gif What can I do now? Is this really a problem for the MC-12? Does anyone else have the problem?

I am using a MC-12B EQ V5.25

Regards
Michael

I still have mine and love It as well. I used to see the overload indicator light up quite frequently when I first started listening to DVD-A and SACD years ago using the 5.1 inputs just like you describe. I think the problem was the Analog In Level setting, I may have had it on manual but when set to Auto I think the problem went away. It's been years since I have had an issue so my recollection of the cure might be a bit foggy. If you are set to auto already you might want to try manual and drop the levels to see if that helps. Actually before you do any adjusting go into the input select, select your 5.1 Oppo input and open the Analog In Level menu where you can see the real time levels of all of the channels. Now play something in the Oppo that causes the unit to overload and see if it's related to a specific channel(s) rather than say all of them. It might just be the LFE channel so that could be adjusted all on it's own.

My unit is the same as yours, MC-12BEQ v5.25. I use the 5.1 inputs from a Denon DVD-A1 where I get dts-HD Master Audio, Dolby TrueHD, DVD-A, SACD and 5.1 PCM. The Denon 5.1 channels are set to 0 db, Large and it's Source Direct is on so no bass management takes place in the player, everything takes place in the MC-12.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 Universal 3d Blu Ray Player Roku Streaming Stick Bundle

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page