Yamaha's High-Speed HDMI Switching - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 03-13-2013, 01:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I stumbled into this: http://reviews.cnet.com/av-receivers/yamaha-rx-v475/4505-6466_7-35624758.html
Quote:
Yamaha's press release also mentions that "high-speed HDMI switching" is available on all of these models, which sounds like welcome improvement given how slow even newer AV receivers switch inputs.

What kind of delay there's usually with AVR's when switching HDMI input and how much doese this new feature improve it?

Does AVR's have longer delay than HDMI splitter/switches?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 03-13-2013, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

Changed thread title.
post #3 of 19 Old 03-13-2013, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Yamaha needs to elaborate...
How fast is the HDMI switching compared to last year's AVRs..
25%? 50%? 100%..
Plus a disclosure of the connected HDMI components..

Without some breakout of additional info, this falls into the marketing fluff bucket..

Just my $0.02.. wink.gif
post #4 of 19 Old 03-13-2013, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter

I sent email to Yamaha. Lets see what they say.
post #5 of 19 Old 03-14-2013, 12:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 80
My guess is that means that they support HDCP authentication simulatenously on all inputs instead of only the current selected input. Silicon Image has had chips capable of doing this for a while. This has the potential to reduce HDMI switching times from 5 seconds or more in the worst cases to under a second.

A number of 2012 Onkyo receivers had a related Silicon Image technology called InstaPrevue, which allows you to see thumbnails of all the HDMI inputs before switching to one.
post #6 of 19 Old 03-14-2013, 01:32 AM - Thread Starter

What is the switching time with Yamaha's 2012 models? Could Yamaha owners chip in? I have no experience with HDMI switching but 5 seconds sounds like an eternity in this day and age.
post #7 of 19 Old 03-14-2013, 08:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I have an RX-V473 (no video processing) and HDMI switching time between my HD-DVR and Blu-ray player isn't instant but it's certainly not as long as five seconds. Probably more like two seconds, tops. If you had asked me to make a list of things to improve about the receiver, I would not have thought to include "faster HDMI switching" on it.

post #8 of 19 Old 03-14-2013, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 80
The time it takes to switch HDMI inputs is highly variable and depends on the equipment used. The 5 seconds or more I gave is for some of the worst cases I've heard of, typically with most people's setups it would be less than this, but I can't say what the average case switchiing time actually is.

This problem isn't in any way specific to Yahama receivers, it affects anything that has multiple HDMI inputs but only one HDCP processor.
post #9 of 19 Old 03-17-2013, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

No replies from Yamaha yet...
post #10 of 19 Old 03-17-2013, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onseΒ View Post

No replies from Yamaha yet...

Looks like their response is low speed... πŸ˜ƒ

Just my $0.02... wink.gif
post #11 of 19 Old 03-17-2013, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by M CodeΒ View Post

Looks like their response is low speed... πŸ˜ƒ

Just my $0.02... wink.gif
I asked about some other technical stuff and got reply within a day. Then I replied to that message and included this question and it has been almost four days now (well it's weekend so really just two days).
post #12 of 19 Old 03-25-2013, 01:48 AM - Thread Starter

No replies. I asked from Yamaha UK a week ago too. It seems that they don't know the answer.
post #13 of 19 Old 03-26-2013, 02:38 AM - Thread Starter

Found this with google:
Quote:
A high speed HDMI switching function that remembers the settings of all connected sources, cuts the time it normally takes to adjust to each when they are selected

I've no idea how much this could save time. Still waiting answer from Yamaha.
post #14 of 19 Old 03-29-2013, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter

Finaly got reply from Yamaha UK (no answer from Yamaha US yet):
Quote:
for your inquiry we have asked our sales team who have answered with 25% quicker HDMI switching.

25% is not that big of a difference imo. Earlier models seem to switch in about 5 seconds from what I've read so the new high speed models would switch in about 4 seconds.
post #15 of 19 Old 03-29-2013, 11:35 PM - Thread Starter

Reply from Yamaha US:
Quote:
Fast Switching reduces the total time of HDMI/HDCP connection when a certain input on an AVR is selected by keeping all HDMI source connections of HDMI/HDCP (with all authentication process alive) on the background even when they’re not specifically selected.

We cannot specify how much faster it will be then previous models, because there is still some degree of time to switch HDMI inputs based on the HDMI devices used. We can say that Fast Switching reduces the time for re-authenticating source devices HDMI/HDCP connections on an AVR, so you would see an overall improvement on the time duration necessary for HDMI switching on your AVR.
post #16 of 19 Old 03-30-2013, 01:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Honestly, how often do you need to switch inputs back and forth during an evening to make this a worthwhile benefit? Cable and BDP, then what? PC, games console, another DVD player, another BDP...all to be kept on? When you change content in the BDP, for example main feature 24p to extras 480i to another 60i there needs to be a new handshaking each time within the same input.

Sounds like a useless or at least unnecessary feature and wasteful of resources.

Audiosceptics accept audio trials using 25 people. A recent Oxford study with over 353,000 patient records from 639 separate clinical trials shows for every 1,000 people taking diclofenac or ibuprofen there would be 3 additional heart attacks, 4 more cases of heart failure and 1 death every year.

post #17 of 19 Old 03-30-2013, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onseΒ View Post

Finaly got reply from Yamaha UK (no answer from Yamaha US yet):
25% is not that big of a difference imo. Earlier models seem to switch in about 5 seconds from what I've read so the new high speed models would switch in about 4 seconds.

OK...
Here is the real answer...
Yamaha is using one of the later Silicon HDMI chips and this chip will warm boot any active, connected HDMI source input...
So when the user switched from 1 HDMI input to another HDMI input, the digital HDCP has already been authenicated so it boots up qwikly, saving time...

Usual boot-up time improvement can be 30-70% faster really depends upon the source HDMI component/stream..
Also note that the same HDMI chips are used by Onkyo, Marantz, Denon, Sony, Harman/Kardon...

Just my πŸ’°... πŸ‘πŸ˜‰
post #18 of 19 Old 03-30-2013, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 192
I assume this will be little or not benefit for folks who use Harmony or other activity based remotes and other devices are always turned off when not in use.
post #19 of 19 Old 06-11-2013, 04:26 AM

Hello all

Hey guys, sorry for kinda jumping in a little off topic here, but kind of a newbee to using an amp for a switching device for anything really as up till now basically always just used dedicated inputs on my TV and only had to switch audio of the amp, with again using dedicated inputs to it.

But just picked up a RX-V475 and used it to replace an older Yamaha (which again was not used to switch any vid) and had some questions.

For me I have noticed this lag thing I think you guys are talking about where the TV occasionally seems to take some time to bring in the thing that the feed has been switched too.

Would say about the 5 seconds or maybe even up to 10 sometimes is what I'm seeing. Will say thankfully as yet have I had it not eventually switch.

So being as this is my first time using such a thing an setup, from reading this, the 5 sec is actually quite normal and even in fact an improvement to ones that usually take much longer?

In sort of a second question, one thing I had major issues with was getting the amp based screens of the USB and Net channels to show. Sometimes they would come up but very rarely.

But one thing I noticed after looking at the instructions more, was that they show even for the most basic of TV hook up, that not only do you connect a HDMI in to the TV, but use some kind of audio out of that feed back to the amp.

In my case was able to do just as they showed which was to use an Optical out from the TV (which was of a complete pass-through of the HDMI in audio apparently), back to AV4 of the amp.

So after I did this, the USB and Net channels of the amp come up perfect now.

For the other HDMI channels, they seem to be about that same but wonder if even for those, if this helps?

So my question is, is this a normal/standard thing where a switching amp needs an audio feed back to it to work correctly? Or is it even normal say for this brand/line/level of amp?

In kind of a third and related question, does the quality of the HDMI cables matter even more when doing this kind of a thing?

In other words, of the HDMI cables I bought, the one that I kinda cheeped out on was the feed from my Roku unit as was getting it and needed something to make the connection so got a $20.00 one that was the cheapest on the rack. Figured since it was only 4', even $20.00 wasn't too bad.

But will say it's the one that takes the longest to switch over to, and in case you don't know, the Roku units stay on all the time so its not like it needs to tuen on or boot up.

So just am wondering if going with a better quality cable will help with this?

Thanks for any help.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V475 5 1 Channel Network Av Receiver , Yamaha Rx V473 Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page