AVS Forum banner

What Would You Like to See in Your Next AVR?

17K views 352 replies 122 participants last post by  oztech 
#1 ·

In the last couple of weeks, we have seen manufacturers launch their next generation of AV receivers for 2013. It’s always exciting to see which components, chipsets, and new features are being adding to these products in order to attract new and existing consumers.

I’ve been following most of new AVR announcement threads, and one thing I've noticed is that half the people posting always wish they had other features. For some, Bluetooth is important for wireless music streaming, and for others, it's a second monitor HDMI output for their rack room. Some features are unimportant, and their absence will not stop consumers from purchasing a given unit. But for others, not having a certain feature may be a deal breaker. It's rare to find all the features you want in one AV receiver.

Let’s pretend for a moment that the major manufacturers are looking at this thread right now and want to hear from you.

What would you like to see in your next AVR? What feature, component, chipset, or even physical aspect would make you upgrade your AVR right now? Maybe there are even some features that aren't already found in today's receivers that you would like to see. What are they?

See less See more
#5 ·
I would like to see pre outs for all channels added to the mid grade receivers and not strictly for the 1000 or over avr's.Most high dollar avr's have plenty of power they don't need pre outs.As and example my pioneer elite vsx-60 retails for 650 and has 90wpc.The power is fine with my deftech 8060 towers but having pre outs would of been great and help extend the life.Another feature that avr's need to start including is wireless...no more over priced dongles.

#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh6113  /t/1463143/what-would-you-like-to-see-in-your-next-avr#post_23076813

I would like to see pre outs for all channels added to the mid grade receivers and not strictly for the 1000 or over avr's.

I agree with this. It used to be fairly easy to find preouts on mid priced avrs like Yamaha and Pioneer. Not anymore.

On the more expensive avr's I'd like to see user controllable subwoofer cross over slopes. At least a few options like butterworth 12db 18db and Linkwitz Riley 12 and 24db. I think I might be in the minority on this one though.

A second HDMI output should be a very cheap thing to add, and it would sure make me pick one avr over another if all else were mostly equal.

#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyS  /t/1463143/what-would-you-like-to-see-in-your-next-avr#post_23076268

In the last couple of weeks, we have seen manufacturers launch their next generation of AV receivers for 2013. It’s always exciting to see which components, chipsets, and new features are being adding to these products in order to attract new and existing consumers.

I’ve been following most of new AVR announcement threads, and one thing I've noticed is that half the people posting always wish they had other features. For some, Bluetooth is important for wireless music streaming, and for others, it's a second monitor HDMI output for their rack room. Some features are unimportant, and their absence will not stop consumers from purchasing a given unit. But for others, not having a certain feature may be a deal breaker. It's rare to find all the features you want in one AV receiver.

Let’s pretend for a moment that the major manufacturers are looking at this thread right now and want to hear from you.

What would you like to see in your next AVR? What feature, component, chipset, or even physical aspect would make you upgrade your AVR right now? Maybe there are even some features that aren't already found in today's receivers that you would like to see. What are they?

Today's AVRs are pretty much mature, very few new features have been introduced...

So when asking for what one needs to see in the next AVR...

You should also include "How much $" one is willing to pay to get the newly, requested features...

New features be it hardware and/or software cost $, there are no free rides..

Plus the weak US $ has increased the factory FOB cost of the total AVR package..

Just my $0.02...

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code  /t/1463143/what-would-you-like-to-see-in-your-next-avr#post_23076906

Today's AVRs are pretty much mature, very few new features have been introduced...

So when asking for what one needs to see in the next AVR...

You should also include "How much $" one is willing to pay to get the newly, requested features...

New features be it hardware and/or software cost $, there are no free rides..

Plus the weak US $ has increased the factory FOB cost of the total AVR package..

Just my $0.02...

I agree with you there M Code and I actually thought of that when I wrote the article. Everyone has different thresholds for different reasons. In threads I have read earlier, some would be ecstatic over Bluetooth integration, where I personally would not really care for it.

When I asked my another fellow enthusiast the question above, he answered a modular AVR. You basically purchase features, components based on what you need. I thought that was fantastic. But I think we can all agree that a type of AVR with modular components is not going to fall into the entry-level or mid range. i didn't want to limit this thread to price. I was simply curious to see what enthusiasts are looking for in an AVR today, and was there something missing that they would like to see in their future AV receiver.

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucka  /t/1463143/what-would-you-like-to-see-in-your-next-avr#post_23076894

Higher quality amplifiers built in with a stiffer power supply (Able to maintain a higher wattage if all channels driven).

Chucka

Interesting point you bring up. I had a conversation about this exact point with a colleague of mine. Most AV receivers today can't go below 6ohm. That is a real shame.

#15 ·
1. A big, quality power supply. (Because we're buying a receiver, not a pre/pro.)

2. Balanced and unbalanced pre-outs. (Because even with good power, many of us won't have it powering all of our speakers.)

3. Excellent room correction and auto EQ with control over the full spectrum. (That means 3Hz-20kHz.)

4. Manual controls for crossover slopes and Butterworth and Linkwitz transforms. (Because even with good auto EQ, it's probably still going to need some tweaking.)

5. A simple to use and understand on screen interface.

A receiver doesn't need to be a source. A tuner is nice, but I can buy an external one and plug it in easily enough.

I see no reason this couldn't be done for something around 500$.

#21 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee  /t/1463143/what-would-you-like-to-see-in-your-next-avr#post_23076519

More channels. Have 9.1 -- looking for 11.3. For the .3 part, I'd just like settable distance and volume trims for 3 subs.

Better still, I'm looking for an AVR with 11.4 channels, with Audyssey.

Four subwoofers is the optimum number to have in an HT setup.

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitviper33  /t/1463143/what-would-you-like-to-see-in-your-next-avr#post_23076999

A receiver doesn't need to be a source. A tuner is nice, but I can buy an external one and plug it in easily enough.

+1

#23 ·
When I talk about what I want, I'm perfectly ok with it appearing in a $2,000 AVR

It includes (in addition to the usual other junk like decent amps for those that need them, a solid remote app that some cannot seem to live without, and all the streaming app garbage) :

1. 11.2/4 DTS NEO/Audyssey DSX playback with DSPs (and a CPU) powerful enough to (gasp) handle new surround codecs in the next few years that I would be willing to PAY to update to.

2. The ability to play ANY digital input in any digital zone. ANY HDMI would be a huge plus I'd be willing to pay for, but at LEAST SPDIF (coax/optical).

3. Excellent, full-body room correction, including subs.

4. Easy, on the fly, MANIPULATION of the above- the ability to "tweak" if you will the RC's results.

5. Ability to easily store and ACCESS a multitude of the above tweaks.

6. Flexible 12 volt trigger control.

7. Sensible 2013-like GUI

8. Complete set of pre-outs.

9. A gigabit ethernet switch- there's plenty of space once you dump what's listed below and it doesn't hurt in a crowded rack to lose a standalone switch.

10. Ax ALL legacy inputs. No business on a modern, flagship/top flight AVR/pre pro in 2013.

Basically a modern, DIGITAL AVR for the 98% who have moved on in high(er)-end A/V. Give us what we want and stop catering to the 2% that don't blacken your bottom line. Think about it.

Oh...and make it weigh at least 50lbs so everyone can talk about its "build quality".

James

#24 ·
I'm gonna take a different spin on this one and say a cheap, quality, full featured simple operation component. Home theater has been around too long and become far too mainstream to have to pay a grand or more for quality sound. With flat panels, BD players and HD broadcasts, I just don't see any reason why I can't get a solid state 7.1 (I'm still really ok with 5.1 to be honest) channel, lossless AVR with wi-fi and enough basic inputs for the average home theater and "one touch" capabilities that allow anyone in the home to push one button to turn on what they want for $300.

I'm still gonna buy the bigger badder flagship model
I'm just trying to look out for the other guy!

#25 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe  /t/1463143/what-would-you-like-to-see-in-your-next-avr#post_23077181

Oh...and make it weigh at least 50lbs so everyone can talk about its "build quality".

James

LOL...

#26 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet Geek  /t/1463143/what-would-you-like-to-see-in-your-next-avr#post_23077218

I'm gonna take a different spin on this one and say a cheap, quality, full featured simple operation component. Home theater has been around too long and become far too mainstream to have to pay a grand or more for quality sound. With flat panels, BD players and HD broadcasts, I just don't see any reason why I can't get a solid state 7.1 (I'm still really ok with 5.1 to be honest) channel, lossless AVR with wi-fi and enough basic inputs for the average home theater and "one touch" capabilities that allow anyone in the home to push one button to turn on what they want for $300.

I'm still gonna buy the bigger badder flagship model
I'm just trying to look out for the other guy!

+1 on that one

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.