What Would You Like to See in Your Next AVR? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 354 Old 03-13-2013, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50

In the last couple of weeks, we have seen manufacturers launch their next generation of AV receivers for 2013. It’s always exciting to see which components, chipsets, and new features are being adding to these products in order to attract new and existing consumers.

I’ve been following most of new AVR announcement threads, and one thing I've noticed is that half the people posting always wish they had other features. For some, Bluetooth is important for wireless music streaming, and for others, it's a second monitor HDMI output for their rack room. Some features are unimportant, and their absence will not stop consumers from purchasing a given unit. But for others, not having a certain feature may be a deal breaker. It's rare to find all the features you want in one AV receiver.

Let’s pretend for a moment that the major manufacturers are looking at this thread right now and want to hear from you.

What would you like to see in your next AVR? What feature, component, chipset, or even physical aspect would make you upgrade your AVR right now? Maybe there are even some features that aren't already found in today's receivers that you would like to see. What are they?

Get all your A/V News at: AVS Latest News

Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forums on Twitter

AVSForum
Bringing the AV Community Together
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 354 Old 03-13-2013, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Better amps.
Five28 likes this.
post #3 of 354 Old 03-13-2013, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 52
More channels. Have 9.1 -- looking for 11.3. For the .3 part, I'd just like settable distance and volume trims for 3 subs.
Theo Porter likes this.

Greg Lee
post #4 of 354 Old 03-13-2013, 01:06 PM

Liked: 15
Better on-screen interface.
post #5 of 354 Old 03-13-2013, 01:16 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
I would like to see pre outs for all channels added to the mid grade receivers and not strictly for the 1000 or over avr's.Most high dollar avr's have plenty of power they don't need pre outs.As and example my pioneer elite vsx-60 retails for 650 and has 90wpc.The power is fine with my deftech 8060 towers but having pre outs would of been great and help extend the life.Another feature that avr's need to start including is wireless...no more over priced dongles.
Five28 and willmo like this.

Doing what I do best...LIVIN!
post #6 of 354 Old 03-13-2013, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam S View Post

Better amps.

No amps. Just pre-outs.
Mike_WI and nlpearman like this.

David
post #7 of 354 Old 03-13-2013, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh6113 View Post

I would like to see pre outs for all channels added to the mid grade receivers and not strictly for the 1000 or over avr's.

I agree with this. It used to be fairly easy to find preouts on mid priced avrs like Yamaha and Pioneer. Not anymore.

On the more expensive avr's I'd like to see user controllable subwoofer cross over slopes. At least a few options like butterworth 12db 18db and Linkwitz Riley 12 and 24db. I think I might be in the minority on this one though.

A second HDMI output should be a very cheap thing to add, and it would sure make me pick one avr over another if all else were mostly equal.
post #8 of 354 Old 03-13-2013, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Allow all channels to play in the main zone.
willmo likes this.

David
post #9 of 354 Old 03-13-2013, 01:29 PM

Liked: 11
I agree with pre-outs. Make $400 receivers with pre-outs and I'd be all over that.

post #10 of 354 Old 03-13-2013, 01:31 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Higher quality amplifiers built in with a stiffer power supply (Able to maintain a higher wattage if all channels driven).

Chucka
willmo likes this.
post #11 of 354 Old 03-13-2013, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyS View Post

In the last couple of weeks, we have seen manufacturers launch their next generation of AV receivers for 2013. It’s always exciting to see which components, chipsets, and new features are being adding to these products in order to attract new and existing consumers.

I’ve been following most of new AVR announcement threads, and one thing I've noticed is that half the people posting always wish they had other features. For some, Bluetooth is important for wireless music streaming, and for others, it's a second monitor HDMI output for their rack room. Some features are unimportant, and their absence will not stop consumers from purchasing a given unit. But for others, not having a certain feature may be a deal breaker. It's rare to find all the features you want in one AV receiver.

Let’s pretend for a moment that the major manufacturers are looking at this thread right now and want to hear from you.

What would you like to see in your next AVR? What feature, component, chipset, or even physical aspect would make you upgrade your AVR right now? Maybe there are even some features that aren't already found in today's receivers that you would like to see. What are they?

Today's AVRs are pretty much mature, very few new features have been introduced...
So when asking for what one needs to see in the next AVR...
You should also include "How much $" one is willing to pay to get the newly, requested features...
New features be it hardware and/or software cost $, there are no free rides..
Plus the weak US $ has increased the factory FOB cost of the total AVR package..

Just my $0.02... wink.gif
post #12 of 354 Old 03-13-2013, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Two HDMI outs should be on all but the lowest end receivers. I bet more people need 2 outs than need 6 or 7 inputs.

David
post #13 of 354 Old 03-13-2013, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code View Post

Today's AVRs are pretty much mature, very few new features have been introduced...
So when asking for what one needs to see in the next AVR...
You should also include "How much $" one is willing to pay to get the newly, requested features...
New features be it hardware and/or software cost $, there are no free rides..
Plus the weak US $ has increased the factory FOB cost of the total AVR package..

Just my $0.02... wink.gif

I agree with you there M Code and I actually thought of that when I wrote the article. Everyone has different thresholds for different reasons. In threads I have read earlier, some would be ecstatic over Bluetooth integration, where I personally would not really care for it.

When I asked my another fellow enthusiast the question above, he answered a modular AVR. You basically purchase features, components based on what you need. I thought that was fantastic. But I think we can all agree that a type of AVR with modular components is not going to fall into the entry-level or mid range. i didn't want to limit this thread to price. I was simply curious to see what enthusiasts are looking for in an AVR today, and was there something missing that they would like to see in their future AV receiver. smile.gif

AVSForum
post #14 of 354 Old 03-13-2013, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucka View Post

Higher quality amplifiers built in with a stiffer power supply (Able to maintain a higher wattage if all channels driven).

Chucka

Interesting point you bring up. I had a conversation about this exact point with a colleague of mine. Most AV receivers today can't go below 6ohm. That is a real shame.

AVSForum
post #15 of 354 Old 03-13-2013, 01:57 PM

Liked: 17
1. A big, quality power supply. (Because we're buying a receiver, not a pre/pro.)
2. Balanced and unbalanced pre-outs. (Because even with good power, many of us won't have it powering all of our speakers.)
3. Excellent room correction and auto EQ with control over the full spectrum. (That means 3Hz-20kHz.)
4. Manual controls for crossover slopes and Butterworth and Linkwitz transforms. (Because even with good auto EQ, it's probably still going to need some tweaking.)
5. A simple to use and understand on screen interface.

A receiver doesn't need to be a source. A tuner is nice, but I can buy an external one and plug it in easily enough.

I see no reason this couldn't be done for something around 500$.

I'm not into "thumbs upping" or "liking". Don't take it personally. Just assume that I found your post helpful. Unless it wasn't.
post #16 of 354 Old 03-13-2013, 02:04 PM

Liked: 13
A built-in network media (audio and video) player with Samba share support, 10-bit encode support and DLNA. It should be compatible with all of the various major encodes (h264, etc), natively play mkv/mp4/avi/mpeg video, allow for multiple audio tracks and subtitles... support for subtitle styles would be neat.
Jinjuku, Phrehdd and Garyc2 like this.
post #17 of 354 Old 03-13-2013, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Ability to create a picture in picture using two inputs. Or perhaps cutting the screen into quadrants.

I know this exists but its kind of rare

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #18 of 354 Old 03-13-2013, 02:27 PM

Liked: 11
A/B front l and r speaker switch

For god's sake, play digital inputs through zones 2 and 3
CaptainVideoJW likes this.
post #19 of 354 Old 03-13-2013, 02:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 45
2 or more hdmi outs and 7.2 pre-outs on all models not just the high end $2000 ones

pcm=potato
bitstream=patato
post #20 of 354 Old 03-13-2013, 02:40 PM

Liked: 13
I would like to see a two-channel receiver with lots of digital and analog inputs, high quality DACs, class D, compact size, high quality phono input, multiple hdmi inputs, and Internet radio. Something with the build quality and pricing of Oppo's TOTL BDP players.
post #21 of 354 Old 03-13-2013, 02:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post

More channels. Have 9.1 -- looking for 11.3. For the .3 part, I'd just like settable distance and volume trims for 3 subs.

Better still, I'm looking for an AVR with 11.4 channels, with Audyssey.
Four subwoofers is the optimum number to have in an HT setup.

post #22 of 354 Old 03-13-2013, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitviper33 View Post

A receiver doesn't need to be a source. A tuner is nice, but I can buy an external one and plug it in easily enough.

+1

David
post #23 of 354 Old 03-13-2013, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 145
When I talk about what I want, I'm perfectly ok with it appearing in a $2,000 AVR

It includes (in addition to the usual other junk like decent amps for those that need them, a solid remote app that some cannot seem to live without, and all the streaming app garbage) :

1. 11.2/4 DTS NEO/Audyssey DSX playback with DSPs (and a CPU) powerful enough to (gasp) handle new surround codecs in the next few years that I would be willing to PAY to update to.
2. The ability to play ANY digital input in any digital zone. ANY HDMI would be a huge plus I'd be willing to pay for, but at LEAST SPDIF (coax/optical).
3. Excellent, full-body room correction, including subs.
4. Easy, on the fly, MANIPULATION of the above- the ability to "tweak" if you will the RC's results.
5. Ability to easily store and ACCESS a multitude of the above tweaks.
6. Flexible 12 volt trigger control.
7. Sensible 2013-like GUI
8. Complete set of pre-outs.
9. A gigabit ethernet switch- there's plenty of space once you dump what's listed below and it doesn't hurt in a crowded rack to lose a standalone switch.
10. Ax ALL legacy inputs. No business on a modern, flagship/top flight AVR/pre pro in 2013.

Basically a modern, DIGITAL AVR for the 98% who have moved on in high(er)-end A/V. Give us what we want and stop catering to the 2% that don't blacken your bottom line. Think about it.

Oh...and make it weigh at least 50lbs so everyone can talk about its "build quality". rolleyes.gif

James
Phrehdd likes this.

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

post #24 of 354 Old 03-13-2013, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 109
I'm gonna take a different spin on this one and say a cheap, quality, full featured simple operation component. Home theater has been around too long and become far too mainstream to have to pay a grand or more for quality sound. With flat panels, BD players and HD broadcasts, I just don't see any reason why I can't get a solid state 7.1 (I'm still really ok with 5.1 to be honest) channel, lossless AVR with wi-fi and enough basic inputs for the average home theater and "one touch" capabilities that allow anyone in the home to push one button to turn on what they want for $300.

I'm still gonna buy the bigger badder flagship model biggrin.gif I'm just trying to look out for the other guy!
Five28 likes this.
post #25 of 354 Old 03-13-2013, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post

Oh...and make it weigh at least 50lbs so everyone can talk about its "build quality". rolleyes.gif

James

LOL...biggrin.gif

AVSForum
post #26 of 354 Old 03-13-2013, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet Geek View Post

I'm gonna take a different spin on this one and say a cheap, quality, full featured simple operation component. Home theater has been around too long and become far too mainstream to have to pay a grand or more for quality sound. With flat panels, BD players and HD broadcasts, I just don't see any reason why I can't get a solid state 7.1 (I'm still really ok with 5.1 to be honest) channel, lossless AVR with wi-fi and enough basic inputs for the average home theater and "one touch" capabilities that allow anyone in the home to push one button to turn on what they want for $300.

I'm still gonna buy the bigger badder flagship model biggrin.gif I'm just trying to look out for the other guy!

+1 on that one

AVSForum
post #27 of 354 Old 03-13-2013, 03:22 PM

Liked: 14
How about the ability to watch one HDMI source (say, cable box) and listen to another HDMI (like PS3).
CaptainVideoJW and Djoel like this.
post #28 of 354 Old 03-13-2013, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 155
The big things (only things, really) that would make me upgrade from my Anthem MRX 300 are:

-A room correction system that PROPERLY handles the modal region. That is, it doesn't ping the mains and subs separately, but sweeps them as a unit to account for not just each piece's FR, but the interactions between them.

-A truly modern modal region correction system with outputs for at least 4 subs, along the lines of Harman SFM or Geddes' method. (It's really a shame that HK hasn't been able to leverage all of Harman's IP and introduce good multisub support on their boxes..)

Though a bulletproof unit with Trinnov, Dolby Volume, and an Apple-like GUI would probably make me think about it, too.

I'd put $2000-2500 as my comfort threshold. I've bought AVRs in that range before, though on the current market there aren't any AVRs or for that matter pre-pros that under $5k or so that are superior to the $1000 Anthem for someone with an AppleTV, 1 television, and stout separate amplification. So I saw no need to spend more than $1k.

Oh, I'd also like to trade most of the legacy I/O for pre-out/main-in loops.
Five28 likes this.

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
Multichannel music (and video) urban loft living room system 
post #29 of 354 Old 03-13-2013, 03:29 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh6113 View Post

Another feature that avr's need to start including is wireless...no more over priced dongles.
AMEN to this! Why? Because if it's not included and my AVR is in 1 room, and my router is in another, there are 3 options:

1. Run a long ethernet cable from one room to the other
  2. Buy a Network Powerline Adapter (which is what I'm currently doing)
  3. Do nothing and have no access

In this day and age, wireless should be a standard (in addition to wired).
Also I'm not up on what amps/power should be, more power couldn't hurt.
post #30 of 354 Old 03-13-2013, 03:37 PM

Liked: 36
Abandon all of the source stuff (i.e. Airplay, DLNA, Internet radio, SiriusXM) - cheap, easy to replace source components do this much better, anyway;

Abandon video processing/scaling of any kind - cheap, easy to replace source components do this much better, anyway;

Abandon HDMI CEC - it causes more problems than it solves;

As a corollary to the above, standardize a version of existing HDMI flow-control methods to eliminate jitter from source components via HDMI;

Add digital-to-analog processing for zone 2/3, for all inputs; so, like the above, we can finally be done with any cable type but HDMI;

Focus on: fast, reliable HDMI switching (especially for troublesome cable boxes), audio codec processing with room correction and a simple, elegant on-screen interface;
ScAndal likes this.

"Play the volume as loud as you want - but don't touch my levels now. I got them set just like I like them"
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Component Receivers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page