Yamaha rx-a2020 or Pioneer Elite sc-65 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 03-14-2013, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thinking of upgrading my 12 year old Marantz SR8000 receiver. I always loved the sound from my Marantz, but I don't have hdmi inputs or any networking features on this receiver. Was thinking of the yamaha rx-a2020, pioneer elite sc-65 or marantz sr 7007. I heard all 3 in the same store and I was quite impressed with the sound from the Yamaha more so than from the Marantz. The pioneer was very good too, but something about the Yamaha was fuller and brighter but also with low end. It was a great mix. I only tested it with a music cd, so not sure how they compare with movies. Honestly I never thought it would be in the same league as the Pioneer Elite.

I have monitor audio center and l/r speakers and NHT surrounds and SVS subwoofer. All pieces were purchase about 12 years ago.

I'm not a huge movie watcher or music listener, but when I do, I like pretty good sound clarity/separation and my SVS does a great job with low end. I'm sure all 3 receivers would be fantastic, just wondering if any of the 3 had any negatives or pluses that make the choice any easier.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-14-2013, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 336
The Pioneer will have the most power with 5 or 7 channels driven and is 4 ohm certified, if either of that is of value to you. They differ in their automatic room correction software. Pioneer's MCACC seems to garner praise for its customization options and overall SQ.

I don't here too much about Yamaha's YPAO.

The Marantz has Audessey which on this forum is the favorite.

That said, if you like the Yamaha then get the Yamaha. Other than the minor "benefits" of the Pioneer the AVRs are pretty much the same in overall function.

I would just get the one that you like best.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #3 of 7 Old 03-14-2013, 04:33 PM
mnc
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 60
I have NHT speakers and an older Yamaha receiver that sounds nice to me. The 2020 (and 3020) seem to be very highly regarded and I personally think the Aventage line has some of the most solidly built, high quality receivers out. They tend to have a very detailed sound.

NHT speakers, Denon 4520, 65VT50
post #4 of 7 Old 03-18-2013, 08:29 PM

think the 2020 and 3020 comes with new YPAO, not sure what that means but guessing it improves their auto tune.

Pioneer is 999usd from Best Buy, my local store charge 1300usd for 2020 (lowest ive seen) so that should save u 300usd also.

Almost in the same boat as you currently so thoughts appreciated.

edit:

wouldnt the sc67 compete against rx-a2020 and sc65 against rx-a1020. sc68 against rx-a3020.
post #5 of 7 Old 03-19-2013, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

I went to BB last night with some cds and listened to the Yamaha rx-a2020 and the Pioneer sc-65. They both sound very good. Something about the sound from the Yamaha seems richer/warmer whereas the Pioneer sounds a little brighter/sharper. I played around with the settings a little and I'm not sure they have the Pioneer set up correctly at the store I visited. I asked the sales "kid" but he didn't know much about it. Hard to make a great comparison without knowing if the receiver is configured correctly. Not sure what surround settings or audio formats are best for music cds. DTS-Neo:x, THX, Dolby ProLogic II?

In any case, the sc-65 was $999 as compared to over $1500 for the Yamaha. I'm sure I can get the price down on the Yamaha by a couple of hundred bucks. I also have read that the apple and android apps for the Pioneer are excellent.

They also had the Pioneer sc-63 in a home theater setup and it sounded awesome, so I'm assuming the sc-65 would be at least as good. I think it's pretty much splitting hairs between the yamaha and the pioneer elite at this point, so saving at least a few hundred bucks makes the decision easier. I guess receivers in the $1000+ category are all going to sound pretty damn good.

Any other opinions out there would be helpful.
post #6 of 7 Old 03-19-2013, 03:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondmjs View Post

In any case, the sc-65 was $999 as compared to over $1500 for the Yamaha. I'm sure I can get the price down on the Yamaha by a couple of hundred bucks. I also have read that the apple and android apps for the Pioneer are excellent.They also had the Pioneer sc-63 in a home theater setup and it sounded awesome, so I'm assuming the sc-65 would be at least as good. I think it's pretty much splitting hairs between the yamaha and the pioneer elite at this point, so saving at least a few hundred bucks makes the decision easier. I guess receivers in the $1000+ category are all going to sound pretty damn good. Any other opinions out there would be helpful.

please don't judge the sound with the default settings. I owned AVR from both makers and they are great. The way I tune my Pioneer is really different that the way I tune the Yamaha, so unless you know what you're doing pretty well, your testing is not really relevant. I think you would be satisfied by both. Take the one you're the most appealed to and take the plunge. If you need help fine tuning it, you will find plenty of people including me that will help you.

Overall my last AVR (2x Pioneer, 2x Yamaha), I prefer the Pioneer better. I didn't try the Aventage serie.
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondmjs View Post

Not sure what surround settings or audio formats are best for music cds. DTS-Neo:x, THX, Dolby ProLogic II?

these modes aren't meant for music CDs and I don't recommend them. What I do like to use is either STEREO or 7.1 STEREO (called 5.1 STEREO if you have a 5.1 setup) or Neo:6 MUSIC. I tried the THX MUSIC and I didn't like it.

DTS NeoX is for movies with NeoX encoding. You need front width and front heights speakers (9.1 and up or 7.1 without surround back ). It won't do anything in traditional 5.1 or 7.1.

Cheers

Luc

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 7 Old 10-16-2013, 05:39 AM

Can anybody comment on the DAC on either unit or compare the amps between the two?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx A2020 9 2 Channel Network Aventage Av Receiver
Gear in this thread - A2020 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page