need advice for replacing an ancient Sony STR-DE675 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 03-14-2013, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
In the past couple months I've finally updated from a 27" SDTV and DVD player to a 50" Plasma TV (Panasonic TC-P50ST50) and blu-ray player (Panasonic DMP-BDT220). Now I'd like to update my AV receiver to something with actual HDMI ports. It's been a number of years since I've bought a receiver, and I'm overwhelmed with the amount of information on these forums.

My current speakers are a set of JBL SCS135 that I bought with the old Sony receiver. The sub in the JBL set did die last year, and I replaced it with a Velodyne VX-11. I'm looking for a receiver with good sound quality though, so as I have the budget I can up upgrade the speakers to something with better sound. Also, I'd like a receiver that produces good sound for both movies and music.

I currently have the blu-ray player and an Xbox 360 hooked up the the Sony receiver. I also have an NES and an original Playstation in storage that I'd like to hook up after our impending move.

Right now I'm considering the Denon AVR-1912, AVR-1913, and AVR-1713. Is there a receiver I'm not considering that I should be? My budget is in the sub-$350 range, and all 3 I've listed are in that budget on accessories4less.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-15-2013, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

Anybody have some input on this? Is there relevant information I left out of the OP?
post #3 of 10 Old 03-15-2013, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Any AV receiver that has the features you want in your price range is a good choice.

One problem you may run into is that modern AV equipment isn't always compatible with old consoles like the NES. Even the original PlayStation can have problems depeding on the game. In particular the AVR-1912/13 may not be able to convert video from these consoles to HDMI. The AVR-1713 doesn't do analogue to HDMI conversion, so this wouldn't a problem with this model, but you'll need to connect the receiver to the TV using composite cables as well as HDMI.

If you haven't already, you may want to unpack your old NES and check to see if your new TV is compatible with it. TVs usually are, but if not then getting an AV receiver that can convert analogue to HDMI and works with your NES would be more important.
post #4 of 10 Old 03-15-2013, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the response. If the 1913 ends up not supporting upconversion for the NES or Playstation, wouldn't I be able to just run the video out to the TV with a composite video cable? That does partially defeat the purpose of the video upconversion, but it looks like it would still upconvert DVDs played by the blu-ray player. (I know the blu-ray player upconverts DVDs, but I don't believe it's a 1080 upconversion.)
post #5 of 10 Old 03-15-2013, 06:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt3138 View Post

. If the 1913 ends up not supporting upconversion for the NES or Playstation, wouldn't I be able to just run the video out to the TV with a composite video cable?

You can, though you may not like the results. But there's no guarantee a receiver would do any better, especially for the NES.
Quote:
(I know the blu-ray player upconverts DVDs, but I don't believe it's a 1080 upconversion.)

Actually, it should go to 1080p for DVDs (upconverting. It won't make them look like blu-rays, though.)

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #6 of 10 Old 03-16-2013, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter

In my earlier post, I meant that I could run the composite video through the receiver and out to the TV via a composite cable like I've done before. Are you saying that has a worse chance of working than running the composite cable directly from the NES to the TV? I guess I just need to dig out the NES today and hook it up to see what it looks like connected directly to the TV.
post #7 of 10 Old 03-17-2013, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter

I hooked up the NES yesterday, and it looked about the way I expected a quarter-century-old console to look on a new TV. If the video conversion on the 1913 didn't work, I'm guessing it would look about the same as hooking the NES directly up to the TV. Is that an incorrect assumption?

Also, given that I really only need a 5.1 receiver, would it be better to get the 1713 with its better Audyssey calibration or the 1913 with the video upconversion? That seems to be the biggest thing I'm stuck on right now.
post #8 of 10 Old 03-18-2013, 12:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 81
If you connect the NES's composite video output to receiver and then receiver's composite video ouput to the TV then it should look pretty much exactly like you connected the NES directly to the TV.

It's hard to say which would do a better a job of upscaling NES video, the AVR-1913 or your TV. In my case I prefer the job my TV does over my receiver but I have a Yamaha receiver and a LG TV.

Getting the AVR-1713 instead would make sense if you don't mind having to switch inputs on your TV when using your old consoles. The upscaling of the 1913 is unlikely to be much better than your TV and it may not work at all with your NES and PlayStation.
post #9 of 10 Old 03-19-2013, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

In doing some more research, it looks like if I went with the AVR-2112 I'd be able to get the Audyssey MultEQ XT and video upconversion, which would take care of my either/or dilemma between the 1713 and 1913. I would have to stretch my budget and save a bit more for the 2112, but would that be the better buy in the long run?
post #10 of 10 Old 03-22-2013, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter

Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Sony Str De675 Surround Sound Receiver
Gear in this thread - De675 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page