TX-NR616 sound issues - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 03-15-2013, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Good afternoon AV experts!!

I'm having some issues getting any sound out of my new TX-NR616. It just came in last week. New sealed box item. And I just picked up my BIC Acoustec PL-200 powered sub last night. Anxious to get it home and pair it up with the new 616.

I have yet to complete my system with an anticipated 7 channel soundbar that will fill up the speaker terminals. But for the time being just used a couple of old in-wall speakers left over from my last system on the left and right front channels of the receiver.

I went through every singe audio option the 616 has to offer and, at most, could only get faint hints of bass during a test movie I had playing over DirecTV.

In one of the setup menus, I'm not certain of the menu name but it's the third from the bottom, symbolized by a graphic of a receiver box, there is a sub-menu labeled HDMI. The third option in the HDMI sub-menu allows you to either route the output sound to the speaker terminals on the receiver or to the built in speakers on the tv.

Initially what I had desired was to use the sub along with the built in tv speaker until I complete the system. Sadly, it seems that this is not possible. Hence, I connected the two front speakers thinking two channels is better than no channels and a little bass. No luck at all... In fact the only sound I ever got from either of the two front speakers was in the speaker static calibration menu to test speaker placement. The test begins with the left front speaker, then moves to the center channel. Left speaker came on with static, when it went to the center channel, there was a prominent "click" from the receiver unit and then silence from that point on.

As it is now, the only sound I get is when I direct the sound to the tv speaker. Basically I have $400 HDMI switch.

I'm going to try another arrangement when I get home: placing the two surround speakers onto the zone 2 speaker terminals and attempting to try to use the sub with the speakers in zone 2.

I'm not sure, but I think the 7 channel audio with this receiver is speaker detectable and so when no center channel speaker was detected, the receiver refused all output. I'm really in uncharted territory with this theory. The 616 seems to be a much more technologically advanced unit than my previous receiver.

I hate to just go through the motions but if I can't get the zone 2 idea to work I may bust out the other five old speakers and hook up all 7 channels just to test the theory above.

Any solutions, similar experiences, food for thought is well wroth my time and very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Ken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 03-15-2013, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Your receiver will have test tones. If you get no sound when you play them, there's a problem with the speakers or how you have them connected to the AVR (or in the channel output levels, which could be turned all the way down, I suppose). Configuring the receiver as 2.0, attaching the speakers to the correct terminals, and playing the tones is step 1 in the troubleshooting process.
post #3 of 3 Old 03-15-2013, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

Your receiver will have test tones. If you get no sound when you play them, there's a problem with the speakers or how you have them connected to the AVR (or in the channel output levels, which could be turned all the way down, I suppose). Configuring the receiver as 2.0, attaching the speakers to the correct terminals, and playing the tones is step 1 in the troubleshooting process.

Thanks for the quick response. I will have more time to dedicate to the process over the weekend. I looked all through the setup menus several times last night, and could not find 2 channel audio in any of them.

One question: There are several digital and pro-logic audio settings available: THX, PLII, PLIIx, DTS, NEO6, etc. These all have to do with how the source audio signal is processed within the receiver, correct? Would having the unit set to any of one of these cause there to be no sound at all coming from the speakers???

I really get lost when it comes to these more advanced audio settings.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr616
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page