I'm thinking of getting a new receiver sometime in the near future, and I like Pioneers' recent offerings. I don't need (and can't afford) anything fancy. I'm looking for something in the middle of the line, like $500 to $800, and trying to decide if getting an SC model with D3 amps is worth it for me. Actually, right now Newegg has an SC-1221 for about $50 less that the best price I've seen on the new VSX-1123 model. This is interesting since they're very similar in terms of features, with each having a few features that the other doesn't, so it's basically apples to apples with the D3 amp being the main difference.
So the main question is will I hear a big enough (any?) difference in the D3 amps, based on the following?
- My ears are 64 years old, and not particularly golden. Within these limitations, I still appreciate good sound.
- I have home-built speakers based on a Joe D-Appolito design of 10 - 15 years ago. They sound good, but probably aren't the last word in sound quality.
- The receiver will be used mostly for DVD and Blu-Ray, using an OPPO BDP-83
- I like to play movies moderately (not insanely) loud.
- I ocassionally sit and listen to music, just like in the olden days.
The sound quality will be just one factor in my buying decision, but it is an important one. To head off any off-topic comments, let me say that I'm also considering other receivers in this price range. But if I do decide that the Pioneers meet my needs best, I'd just like to get a feel for the sound quality difference I can expect from upgrading to D3 amps - awesome, minimal, none?
Thanks for your help.