Onkyo TX-NR 818 from Accessories4Less? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 03-15-2013, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I am looking to upgrade my current prepro (Outlaw 950) for the Onkyo NR818. Two reasons - (1) need to move from a pre+amp to a single receiver, (2) want something with better capabilities in general, including XT32. Speakers are JTR T8's to they are pretty efficient - I assume the 135W for the 818 should be sufficient as I rarely play at reference.

I am looking to buy a Onkyo Factory Refurbished 818 from Accessories4Less - should I look into getting an extended warranty?

Should I worried about firmware updates? The site doesn't indicate what version firmware or when the unit was built.

Any other suggestions or things I should look out for?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-15-2013, 02:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I won't even check their site to see pricing. Horrible experience .
I got the $599 deal from B & H last month, and with the new 2013 models just announced, I'd expect to see similar pricing again soon. That is for a brand new unit.

New unit carries a 2 year warranty, vs 1 year for a refurb, and some credit cards (Amex for sure, and some Visa and MC) give an additional year.

power is fine, as long as you keep it moderate. I use an external amp, but only because I already had it.

I hard wired my 818 to my router, and update went without a hitch.

I wouldn't even consider A4L. Just from my experience. Feel free to vote with your $ however you like.

hope it helps, Joseph

of course, IMO, and YMMV smile.gif

What a long, strange trip its been....
post #3 of 4 Old 03-15-2013, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 105
I got my 4311 from AC4L and have no problem recommending them. Customer service was great, shipping was fast, and they gave me the best price from an authorized dealer.

Somebody told me it was frightening how much topsoil we are losing each year, but I told that story around the campfire and nobody got scared.
post #4 of 4 Old 03-15-2013, 08:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by holt7153 View Post

I got my 4311 from AC4L and have no problem recommending them. Customer service was great, shipping was fast, and they gave me the best price from an authorized dealer.

and I will be the first one to acknowledge that 99% of all posts here are nothing but positive towards their experience with AC4... I've never said otherwise.

I have said, and will continue to say, that you do not want to find yourself in the unfortunate 1%, like I did. I am truly happy for everyone that had a problem free experience, but not everyone has.

Positive comments like the above, and hundreds just like it, are the only reason I ever gave them my business. I wish I didn't have a bad experience... I mean that 100%. But I did, and if I'd seen negative responses, I may have chosen differently. I truly wish I had. 100%. And I will be the first to say that 'crap happens', and I don't blame them for that. They had no way of knowing that the contents of the unopened box they sent me contained ... expensive doorstops. twice.

I will hold them accountable for how they dealt with the situation, which, In My Opinion, was unprofessional , and there is just no excuse for that. That is why they'll never get another dime from me. period. And I cannot be the one to not complain, and stay quiet after they did wrong by me... again IMO !!

I'll never forget that they did me wrong. And I'll let anyone else know that they did me wrong, as well. I don't feel that I'm in the least bit wrong by letting other people know that I had a lousy experience. And I honestly, truly hope that noone else here has to deal with what I did, but that doesn't diminish the bad experience that I did have.

For what it's worth... prob not much smile.gif ... I can only hope that they've learned from their mistakes, and taken corrective measures to keep that from happening again, but I never did get an apology, or even an acknowledgement that I was wronged. And that burns my ass more than a 5 foot tall flame. So I will continue to let others know. Often and loudly.

Joseph

What a long, strange trip its been....
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr818
Gear in this thread - Nr818 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page