Denon AVR green screen - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 03-16-2013, 06:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

this seems to be a common issue, but aside from a couple of posts inside the various Denon AVR model owner's threads, I can't seem to find a clear answer what to do.

I own a Denon AVR 2313 (in Europe, it's different from the 2313Ci known in America and Canada) and use to have the following issue: when using Airplay, the screen would start flickering, flashing green. Sound would stutter too and eventually, in the worst case, the connection would be broken down. When i reset my avr, the problem was gone for a while.

As of yesterday, I installed a firmware update. I watched some tv in bed, setting the sleep timer on my avr, tv and digital tv box. This tv box is connected to my avr by hdmi, and of course the avr is also connected to the tv by hdmi.
Now, when I woke up, the tv was still playing "trough" my avr, but my avr was asleep (a red light above the power button). I don't know how the signal can get from my tv box to my tv without the avr being on. Also, I was unable to get it back on, so I had to cut the power. After doing that, it would act normally again.

A couple of minutes ago, the screen started flashing green again, this time it eventually stayed green, but the sound kept playing. Switching channels didn't make it go away, I didn't even have video ouputs on other hdmi ins. So i turned it off again, only to find that once again, i could'nt turn it on again.

Researching the internet forums, it seems that this issuy is quite common for airplay and other inputs. Does anyone know what to do? I only bought it two months ago, should I ask for a new avr?

Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-16-2013, 09:11 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 755 Post(s)
Liked: 1418
Check out the Troubleshooting section in the Denon Guide linked in my sig under "green screen". Also with HDMI Control set to ON, the HDMI signal (audio and video) will pass through the AVR when it is in Standby to the TV.
Qualky likes this.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 9 Old 03-18-2013, 03:21 AM - Thread Starter

Ok thanks!

Nice guide!
post #4 of 9 Old 10-03-2013, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Check out the Troubleshooting section in the Denon Guide linked in my sig under "green screen". Also with HDMI Control set to ON, the HDMI signal (audio and video) will pass through the AVR when it is in Standby to the TV.

Hello again.

I can't find your guide anymore, maybe i'm going blind. I seem to remember you saying something about Hdmi cables and boards, but i have purchased a good new Audioquest pearl and connected it to my hdmi out ports (tried both). Yet the problem remains: a flickering green screen, but only when using airplay. If it's really the board or cable, then shouldn't it be on all channels?

Resetting didn't help either. I purchased my AVR online, from a trustworthy website, but it would be a lot of hassle sending it to them.

I guess i could resolve the problem by just using apple's airport extreme, but that's obviously not as 'smooth' as the application: no display or controlling via the avr...

Cheers for having another look at this
post #5 of 9 Old 10-03-2013, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 158
When you say the screen turns green, do you mean that all you see is a green screen or that there is a green tint to the display, but you can still see the images? How long is the HDMI cable? Is that the only HDMI connection between the AVR and the TV or do you have other splitters, cables in the wall, couplings, etc? Have you tried plugging it into another port on the TV? Reset your TV as well? In my setup, if I get the colorspace settings wrong my screen has a green tint to it.
post #6 of 9 Old 10-03-2013, 05:15 PM
585-645-1006

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1465528/the-official-2013-denon-e-series-x-series-avr-model-owners-thread-faq/0_100#user_L9

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech
post #7 of 9 Old 10-04-2013, 12:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by duc135 View Post

When you say the screen turns green, do you mean that all you see is a green screen or that there is a green tint to the display, but you can still see the images? How long is the HDMI cable? Is that the only HDMI connection between the AVR and the TV or do you have other splitters, cables in the wall, couplings, etc? Have you tried plugging it into another port on the TV? Reset your TV as well? In my setup, if I get the colorspace settings wrong my screen has a green tint to it.

No I mean that the screen starts flashing between very bright green and the regular display, while audio also drops and screeches. Sometimes the screen eventually goes entirely bright green (all you can see is the colour, no images) while audio keeps going.

The cable is AudioQuest Pearl 1,5 meters. It's the only HDMI out connection, no splitters or such, just a couple of HDMI ins (my country's version of TiVo is a box that also outputs by hdmi, a playstation, and occasionally my laptop).

I hadn't even thought about my TV, you could be right about that. A HDMI handshake issue with the TV - as jdsmoothie puts it:

My "tv" is actually a computer display 'that could also be used as a tv" which i'm going to replace by a decent TV in the near future. Got my fingers crossed!

I'm just finding it weird that it only occurs when using the Airplay app of the AVR. No problems whatsoever while on playstation or watching tv (which obviously require more hdmi cables and of course: the same avr to display hdmi connection.)

Thanks a lot for your help!
post #8 of 9 Old 10-04-2013, 05:23 AM
585-645-1006

As the issue only involves Airplay, it would seem your only option is to either return the unit or get it repaired under warranty. You also may want to consider buying an Apple TV which would not only be able to stream audio but also video if that is a feature you could use.

post #9 of 9 Old 10-04-2013, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

As the issue only involves Airplay, it would seem your only option is to either return the unit or get it repaired under warranty. You also may want to consider buying an Apple TV which would not only be able to stream audio but also video if that is a feature you could use.

Apple TV does sound tempting if i can't find another solution. I would only use it for audio, all my digital films are mkv's so not really compatible.

I contacted Denon tech support. In summary, this is what they anwered (only a couple of hours after asking the question!):

First of all, they need some more info:

- does it occur only with airplay or also when using dlna or internet radio? (will have to check when i get the chance, never used these before)
- does it occur when using itunes, an idevice or both?

Then they also suggested next few steps:

- make sure your router supports the multicasting protocol and that it is enabled (beats me how i'm gonna do that smile.gif )
- make sure "UPnP discovery" is enabled on the router (again)
- "power cycle": turn off router for at least 5 mins (standard)
- use another hdmi cable (fail)

I'll let you know how it goes
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 2313ci Receiver
Gear in this thread - 2313ci by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page