3313 problem - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 03-16-2013, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just hooked up my 3313 on Monday. My components (including 3313) are in the basement and my HT room is on the first floor. I had one of the local home theater companies come in and run the wires and hook everything up. When the installer tried to run audyssey as soon as the first siganl went to the left front speaker there was a pop and the receiver shut off. He went down stairs and came back up and we were able to run audyssey.

The front speakers have built in subs and they were set to -12. According to what I have read I need to lower the sub speaker volume and rerun audyssey. So this morning I got everything all set up, lowered the volume on the subs and started audyssey. As soon as the first signal went to the front left speaker I haerd a pop and the receiver shut off. Now when I try to turn it on I hear a loud pop and it shuts off. If I keep trying to turn it on after about 5-6 trys the receiver will come on and stay on. Tried to run audyssey twice more and got the same results as before.

If it was something as stupid as a speaker wire hooked up wrong or wires touching it would never come on and we would not have been able to get through audyssey the first time. Since Monday I have had no issues until this morning. I do not have the receiver hooked up to a network and i have done any updates.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Sorry I meant to post this in the Denon xx13 thread. Mods please feel free to move it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-16-2013, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 111
2 things..
Either a bad install, wire shorted somewhere...
Or a bad AVR..

In any case you paid to have the wires run and the installer should double check things.
Regarding the AVR, you didn't say where you bought it..
If from the same installer or another place, get it exchanged..

AVRs should not pop..
Sounds like a speaker wire short.. Also check the speaker wire connections on the back of the AVR or loudspeaker any little strand shorted can cause problems..

Just my $0.02.. wink.gif
post #3 of 8 Old 03-16-2013, 12:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Dude that sucks.... I hope your installer can fix it cause you might have to kick his @$$.
Seriously though, did you test the speakers with another receiver, to see if it's the wiring? Also, I try to have my sub set at 1/4 volume unless I need a little more. What kind of speakers do you have? I owned Klipsch RP-7's with built-ins.
post #4 of 8 Old 03-16-2013, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code View Post

2 things..
Either a bad install, wire shorted somewhere...
Or a bad AVR..

In any case you paid to have the wires run and the installer should double check things.
Regarding the AVR, you didn't say where you bought it..
If from the same installer or another place, get it exchanged..

AVRs should not pop..
Sounds like a speaker wire short.. Also check the speaker wire connections on the back of the AVR or loudspeaker any little strand shorted can cause problems..

Just my $0.02.. wink.gif

Bought the receiver from Best Buy. I was thinking about getting some banana plugs. He wired the speaker wire directly to the terminals. I always felt like banana plugs made things a little cleaner and left less chance for wires touching.
post #5 of 8 Old 03-16-2013, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbpete View Post

Dude that sucks.... I hope your installer can fix it cause you might have to kick his @$$.
Seriously though, did you test the speakers with another receiver, to see if it's the wiring? Also, I try to have my sub set at 1/4 volume unless I need a little more. What kind of speakers do you have? I owned Klipsch RP-7's with built-ins.

I will try hooking up my old receiver tomorrow. My speakers are 10-12 year old boston acoustic speakers.
post #6 of 8 Old 03-17-2013, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

Just wanted to thank Mcode and wpbpete for replying. Must have been a speaker connection problem because using the banana plugs solved the problem.
post #7 of 8 Old 03-17-2013, 12:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Your welcome, Glad you got it going. I can imagine how disappointed you must have been. The installer doesn't know how lucky he is. LoL
post #8 of 8 Old 03-17-2013, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickster View Post

Just wanted to thank Mcode and wpbpete for replying. Must have been a speaker connection problem because using the banana plugs solved the problem.

Excellent...
We will prepare the PayPal invoice.. 👍😁

Just my $0.02... wink.gif
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page