HELP - how to power 5.1HT plus home audio system - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #1 of 2 Old 03-16-2013, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all. Long time two-channel guy here getting into multi-channel. Basically I'm building a new house and need some advice on how to power both a 5.1ch surround system and home audio system. We are pre-wiring for the 5.1 in the family room and then will have 2 in-ceiling speakers in three other rooms on the same floor (6 channels). So I need to power 11 channels in total.

My first thought was to buy a 7.1ch reciever to handle the surround system and all the processing. Then run the pre-out to external power amp for the other rooms. I can't seem to find a multi-channel power amp that will accept only the pre-out set of single-ended connections to run all 6 channels. They all have a separate RCA for each channel. Does something like that exist or would I be better off just buying two recievers and linking them????

I'd like to able to watch tv/movies in the one room and listen to music at same time in the other rooms so need dual source reciever. Also want to be able to run music through everything.

Thanks for any advice!
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 2 Old 03-18-2013, 02:57 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Not pre-outs but 'zone 2' and a pre-amp too. For better flexibility you need a multi-zone audio controller.

Audiosceptics accept audio trials using 25 people. A recent Oxford study with over 353,000 patient records from 639 separate clinical trials shows for every 1,000 people taking diclofenac or ibuprofen there would be 3 additional heart attacks, 4 more cases of heart failure and 1 death every year. is offline  
Sponsored Links
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page