post #31 of 43 Old 03-26-2013, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by gostillerz View Post

Amp: Emotiva XPA-5 (or XPA-3 if you want to use your old amp for the surround channels).
Prepro: Marantz AV7005, Emotiva UMC-200, Outlaw 975.

Total cost would be well under $2000, so you can go nuts on speakers and room treatments where it really matters most.

I completely agree.
If you find the perfect speakers for 7K, find a way to live with a $1k solution until you replenish your funds.
I spent $4K on electronics when I bought my Revels. I do not have any of those pieces now, but I still have my speakers wink.gif

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 43 Old 03-26-2013, 08:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I would like to try a pre/pro setup.Ias well havent crossed this realm yet.I am going to be Using a Onkyo Txnr-818 as the processor and from what i have read here from those that know,I would be well placed with a l/c/r 3 channel amp.
My onkyo on paper says 135 watts,but how much of this is clean power i find questionable.I have Late 90's Energy Audissey A3+2 BIPOLAR which i truly love the sound of these.I know there's much better out there but for now i like em..Any suggestions or what you all expereinced thoughts are welcomed.Thanks for sharing.

oh movie to music ratio 70/30 ..BUT when I listen to tunes I listen to Tunes LOUD..

post #33 of 43 Old 03-26-2013, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinjuku View Post

I would get an AVR that supports all the latest formats with good room correction and pre-outs. Next I would recommend looking at the pro-sound/pro-audio style amps. I picked up a Crown and sold my Adcom and Parasound gear.

As example there is a Yamaha 793 that was being sold for $480. Couple that with $600 in amplification for the front three speakers and leaves you with almost $7K on speakers. This will be, by far, your best path to ultimate SQ.

By Yamaha 793, did you mean this one?

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/rx/rx-v793_black__u/?mode=model

Typo perhaps? Looks like a Y2K model. I don't know Yamahas well enough to know what you could have meant though.

edit: Ah-ha, did you mean 773? http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/rx/rx-v773_black_u/?mode=model
post #34 of 43 Old 03-26-2013, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowyo View Post

I would like to try a pre/pro setup.Ias well havent crossed this realm yet.I am going to be Using a Onkyo Txnr-818 as the processor and from what i have read here from those that know,I would be well placed with a l/c/r 3 channel amp.
My onkyo on paper says 135 watts,but how much of this is clean power i find questionable.I have Late 90's Energy Audissey A3+2 BIPOLAR which i truly love the sound of these.I know there's much better out there but for now i like em..Any suggestions or what you all expereinced thoughts are welcomed.Thanks for sharing.

oh movie to music ratio 70/30 ..BUT when I listen to tunes I listen to Tunes LOUD..
Two crown xls1500 would be 800 bucks and have 300 watts per channel . Emotiva xpa 3. With 200 watts per channel . Both get good reviews
post #35 of 43 Old 03-27-2013, 07:01 AM

Liked: 11
So Assuming i'm trying to bump up my music quality/loudness would it be safe to say i would be better off with a two channel amp vs 3.I can fill the man cave pretty good with referance level Movie sounds,Not that I ever have the chance to listen to a movie that loud or intend to ,it's a bit much.

post #36 of 43 Old 03-27-2013, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 62
It also depends on your front stage speakers, but a three channel would be best. However, I am running a two and five channel and it works fine.

Main Kef: Reference 205/2 & 202/2c, Surrounds: Kef XQ40, Velodyne Optimum 12, Integra DHC 80.3, Oppo BDP-103, Bryston 4Bsst2, Parasound Halo A31. Second B&W: 685 (3), CCM618, Def Tech Powerfield 1500, Onkyo TX-NR1008, DBP 2010, Samsung BD-C7900, Zone 2 Klipsch AW650. Sitting still CCM616, Kef...
post #37 of 43 Old 03-27-2013, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
I like paradigm the studio 100 s ,cc490, studio 10 or 20 rears. I was going to find focal 836s too listen to. My search is not over yet. I know we are not in the speaker fourm but it has been mentioned. Maybe I can stretch budget for amp/ pre/ pro. What suggestions do you guys have ???? To take me to the next level over say studio 100 s, or focal 836 if I like them or B & W CDM 9. It is funny how this can become a sickness I started at 4 k speaker budget which would be by far the nicest setup I ever had.
post #38 of 43 Old 03-28-2013, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmasterg314 View Post

I like paradigm the studio 100 s ,cc490, studio 10 or 20 rears. I was going to find focal 836s too listen to. My search is not over yet. I know we are not in the speaker fourm but it has been mentioned. Maybe I can stretch budget for amp/ pre/ pro. What suggestions do you guys have ???? To take me to the next level over say studio 100 s, or focal 836 if I like them or B & W CDM 9. It is funny how this can become a sickness I started at 4 k speaker budget which would be by far the nicest setup I ever had.

Mate, did you catch what I said earlier in the thread about a monster centre channel? If you like the Paradigm Studios, the next level is to forget the baby CC-490 and step up to the CC-690. The CC-490 is not the recommended centre for Studio 80's & 100's but for the 10's & 20's. In a multichannel (movies; music; games) situation the CC-490 will be holding the system back because they'd be overpowered by the 100's.

This is where the bang for your buck is - the extra spent on a superior centre channel speaker that matches your main L&R will make a much bigger improvement to your overall experience than say a $2000 processor ever will. Oh, and go for the 20's - the surrounds will be a fair distance away in your large room and will need some grunt.

The apparent next level is Paradigm Signature, but you'd need to judge whether the sound quality improvement is worth it. Other suggestions: PSB Imagine Series or Synchrony Series. Terrific value but ID: Aperion Audio Grand Verus; SVS Ultra Series.
post #39 of 43 Old 03-28-2013, 08:46 AM

I replaced an Anthem A5 with the Outlaw Model 7900. Both are exquisite but the 7900 gets the nod for its superb control of the Paradigm Reference 100s. If Outlaws smaller amps are from the same pedigree, I say buy one! Forget the others. The best bang for the buck
post #40 of 43 Old 03-28-2013, 08:54 AM

P.S. Giegar is absolutely correct. The Center Channel is THE most important speaker in a surround system. Don't skimp on this one. If you are looking at Studio 100's you gotta go with the 690 center. The 100's play well with 200-300 watts. They play extremely loud given clean power. I started with and AVR rated at 105wpc(good). Moved to 200wpc(better), and am now at 300(unbelievable). They are AWESOME!
post #41 of 43 Old 03-29-2013, 04:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIEGAR View Post

Mate, did you catch what I said earlier in the thread about a monster centre channel? If you like the Paradigm Studios, the next level is to forget the baby CC-490 and step up to the CC-690. The CC-490 is not the recommended centre for Studio 80's & 100's but for the 10's & 20's. In a multichannel (movies; music; games) situation the CC-490 will be holding the system back because they'd be overpowered by the 100's.

This is where the bang for your buck is - the extra spent on a superior centre channel speaker that matches your main L&R will make a much bigger improvement to your overall experience than say a $2000 processor ever will. Oh, and go for the 20's - the surrounds will be a fair distance away in your large room and will need some grunt.

The apparent next level is Paradigm Signature, but you'd need to judge whether the sound quality improvement is worth it. Other suggestions: PSB Imagine Series or Synchrony Series. Terrific value but ID: Aperion Audio Grand Verus; SVS Ultra Series.

I thought cc 4,5,and 690 were the match now I know ther are not. Will the 590 be be good enough at $1400 msrp. My room is big but Wife and I will be only about 10 feet from front spearkes and rears will actually right behind us 2 feet away. Think of it as 10 x 15 area in the bedroom where will be sitting front and back wall 15 feet to the right of us is wall left of us opens up to rest of bedroom. Being rears will be right behind us do you think the 10 s or surounds will be good enough. The cc 490 is out of head allready if I go with paradigm.
post #42 of 43 Old 04-01-2013, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmasterg314 View Post

I thought cc 4,5,and 690 were the match now I know ther are not. Will the 590 be be good enough at $1400 msrp. My room is big but Wife and I will be only about 10 feet from front spearkes and rears will actually right behind us 2 feet away. Think of it as 10 x 15 area in the bedroom where will be sitting front and back wall 15 feet to the right of us is wall left of us opens up to rest of bedroom. Being rears will be right behind us do you think the 10 s or surounds will be good enough. The cc 490 is out of head allready if I go with paradigm.

OK, back on the grid after camping over Easter. I can't argue that the 590 wouldn't be good enough because when I bring up the 100 on the Paradigm website it says it will work with the 590 and 690. (But when I bring up the 590 it says it will work with the Studio 20 and 60 ! confused.gif ) If there's any way you can swing it within your budget, the 690 would definitely be superior. Once you start seriously talking price with your dealer, he should be offering good discounts off msrp for the total package, so that might help. And remember, you're not buying an amp any more are you. wink.gif

Yes, if your surrounds are going to be 2ft away the 10's would be fine I think. The ADP's would probably be ideal to get a diffuse soundfield from that close distance, but they look a lot pricier. I'm no Paradigm expert, you'll get better advice on the official Paradigm owners thread about the surrounds.

BTW, the surrounds should be placed directly to your side (at 90 degrees) if possible. The rears (in a 7.1 channel system) are behind you at 150 degrees. Have a look at this: http://www.axiomaudio.com/home_theater_layout
post #43 of 43 Old 04-10-2013, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mmarsterg314: How's it all goin'?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Av8801 , Emotiva Xpa 2 Stereo Power Amplifier , Emotiva Xpa 3 Amplifier , Emotiva Xpa 5 5 Channel Power Amplifier
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page