Rule of thumb - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 03-17-2013, 02:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
As I'm sure this is is a dumb question, is there a rule of thumb as to how much you should spend on an AVR as it relates to the speaker it will be driving. Thanks to the help from this forum I have ordered a pair of Cambridge S30s and S50 center to begin my 5.1 setup. I've been looking at the Denon 1712, Onkyo 616 and Pioneer VSX822.

Based on my speaker selection do will these AVRs suffice,or do I need to spend more? If these are good which would you choose or do you have any recommendations in this price range?

Note: I am not really looking fo a lot of inputs...60" Samsung smart tv, ps3 and plan to get Apple TV. Mainly watch movies and U-Verse TV. A second zone isn't of great importance although my house is wired to my bedroom.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 03-17-2013, 05:03 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 1300
The rule of thumb is that you should spend about 2-3x the cost of the AVR on the speakers as the speakers are the most important component in your setup. It's a general guideline and won't necessary apply to an entry level setup where the 5.1 speaker setup might cost the same amount as the AVR. The main takeway is that you are better served putting more of your available budget into better quality speakers and a lower quality AVR then the reverse.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 3 Old 03-17-2013, 05:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripp McNealy View Post

As I'm sure this is is a dumb question, is there a rule of thumb as to how much you should spend on an AVR as it relates to the speaker it will be driving. Thanks to the help from this forum I have ordered a pair of Cambridge S30s and S50 center to begin my 5.1 setup. I've been looking at the Denon 1712, Onkyo 616 and Pioneer VSX822.

My research says that you are spending about $600 on speakers.

The first thing that jumps out at me is the absence of a subwoofer which is IMO absolutely mandatory with speakers this small. A good entry level subwoofer like a Polk PSW 550 would provide a significant sound quality advantage, even if you just bought a bottom-end AVR such as a Denon AVR-1612 refurb at

http://usa.denon.com/us/product/pages/refurbishedproducts.aspx?catid=refurbishedprocat(denonna)&catalog=denonna_us .
Quote:
Based on my speaker selection do will these AVRs suffice,or do I need to spend more? If these are good which would you choose or do you have any recommendations in this price range?

It appears that AVRs tend to all sound alike (just fine). Other than obvious features like network connectivity and on-screen menus the one thing that can make a clear audible difference is the nearly-universal availability of an automated system tuning facility, where you set up a mic at your listening location and the AVR adjusts levels, etc for the best possible sound quality.

The difference between Audyssey Multieq and Audyssey Multieq XT32 is aside from the obviously upgraded features, the most potentially audible reason to purchase a more expensive AVR:

http://usa.denon.com/us/product/pages/productdetail.aspx?pcatid=avsolutions(denonna)&catid=avreceivers(denonna)&catalog=denonna_us&pid=avr2113ci(denonna)
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page