Denon DRA-N5, I'm getting crazy on the firmware update - stopped at 01min! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-17-2013, 05:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,
I've just bought a new Denon DRA-N5 yesterday. I plugged it in and it wanted a firmware update as soon as it was connected to the internet. Well, I wanted spotify so I started to update... It's been updating for about 3 hours now and it has stopped at "[Updating] 1/2 01min 00%". Without any errors... I mean, how long can a firmware update take? ^^

I've tried to reboot it and I've tried to reset it (by holding down the volume buttons) and it doesn't work. I'm freaking out here, need help biggrin.gif What is wrong? And have someone else had this problem?

I've check so all the cables are plugged in and it does have internet connection (wired). I'm hoping someone could help me.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2013, 05:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 5307 Post(s)
Liked: 2678
Try rebooting the router as well. Unplug the power cables to both the router and the AVR for a few minutes. Sometimes the Denon servers can get overloaded so just let it continue attempting to update.
Fredricz likes this.

--------
2015 Denon AVR thread ----> http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...dcp-2-2-a.html

Think your AVR is defective? Check the Owner's manual and do a factory reset 4-5 times if necessary.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:02 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for quick answer.

I tried to reboot the router, didn't work. I unplugged the router and the AVR for around 10 minutes, still the same problem..

When I press in the power cable to the AVR it starts with this:

And for about 2 min after startup, it says "00%"
Old 03-17-2013, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter

I did try to unplug my modem, router and AVR for 1 hour. Still the same problem...

Still, can't even reset the damn thing by pressing down the volume buttons at start up.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

Status update:
I'm letting the AVR stay on the whole night, see if anything changes.
I tried to set the AVR with a public IP (before the router) and it didnt work. So my next step tomorrow is to try it on different network, see if its any different.

I'll return tomorrow with a status update.
Old 03-18-2013, 01:51 AM - Thread Starter

DRA-N5 have been online all night (for about 9 hours) and it's the same, stuck on "[updating]".
I've even tried it from a different network now, the problem remains the same.

I've also added a ticket at denons website, hoping I'm getting an answer today. I'll get back biggrin.gif Next step is to go back with the AVR to the store.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:36 AM - Thread Starter

I went back to the store where I bought it and they wanted to try to repair it. If Denon isn't capable to repair it, I would get a new one.

They will call me today with a status, I'll get back. smile.gif
Old 03-19-2013, 09:53 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredricz View Post

I went back to the store where I bought it and they wanted to try to repair it. If Denon isn't capable to repair it, I would get a new one.

They will call me today with a status, I'll get back. smile.gif

Hi,
I have been considering buying the DRA-N5 due to moving/dowsizing to a small condo in the Atlanta area. I'd like to buy it locally but have only seen it on Amazon and a couple of others e-merchants. Did you buy yours at a multi-location chain store? (On the other hand, I'm a little concerned that your store wouldn't simply replace it rather than repair it since you've only had it a couple of days.)

Thanks.
Tadcu
Old 03-22-2013, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Tadcu,
I've got a new DRA-N5 now. I bought the first one from a local store i Sweden. I went back to the store and left my old, broken DRA-N5.
I have a new DRA-N5 and the firmware update when through like it should. smile.gif It works perfect now and is just incredible.

/Fredric
Old 03-22-2013, 12:57 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Hi Tadcu,
I've got a new DRA-N5 now. I bought the first one from a local store i Sweden. I went back to the store and left my old, broken DRA-N5.
I have a new DRA-N5 and the firmware update when through like it should. smile.gif It works perfect now and is just incredible.

Hi Fredric,

Thank you for letting me know. I've seen lots of DRA-N5 info on UK and other European websites, so the thought crossed my mind that you might live in Europe. I'm happy to hear your new DRA-N5 updated easily and you're really liking it.

My decision is now between the DRA-N5 and the receiver part of the Harman Kardon BDS-775 system (new version of the BDS-770). The HK has even more capabilities than the Denon, has a digital amp section and is also quite compact. But it hasn't been released in the U.S. yet. Nevertheless, your experience with the Denon has me leaning in that direction.

Cheers.
Tadcu
Old 03-23-2013, 03:01 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

DRA-N5 have been online all night (for about 9 hours) and it's the same, stuck on "[updating]".
I've even tried it from a different network now, the problem remains the same.

I've also added a ticket at denons website, hoping I'm getting an answer today. I'll get back biggrin.gif Next step is to go back with the AVR to the store.

Did you ever hear anything from Denon support? I got stuck in the same situation... The piccolo has started downloading firmware (fast, stable network), but fails to finish.

Power cycling just "continues" the upgrade, and pressing the volume buttons when power cycling ("processor reset") has no effect whatsoever.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:25 AM

Hi there!

Denon piccolo can be forced to update!

If you have a problem with stuck unit or update you need to force it to update. 1) Pull the power cord out - 2) press "volume up" and " courser down" at the same time. 3) Replace the power plug - 4) Release buttons when you get the "orange-yellow" light on your power button and light in your window of information. This will give you a factory reset and force the unit to behave.

You can also make a small reset with the above procedure by replacing "volume up" and courser down" with the source and play/pause buttons. Difference is that all your old settings will be available.

If this does not work your unit broken.

Regards
Old 04-24-2013, 04:37 AM

It might be a more reliable firmware update method to download the latest firmware to a USB stick and then upload to the Denon DRA-N5 by using it's own USB port. That is how I updated mine and it worked fine.