Need a little help deciding on a reciever - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 03-17-2013, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The salesman at Best Buy sold me a TV that won't work directly with the receiver I currently have, so I'm asking if there are any gotchas with the receivers I've picked below and my setup, or if there is something else to consider for the next 5 years or so.

Back story: I was given a Sony Bravia Surround sound system ( DAV140). I had wanted surround sound so I could better hear the TV without cranking it, so it was appreciated. However, my pre-HD TV didn't work very well with it. So I bought an LG LCD model 42CS570. What the salesman didn't tell me was that it only outputs via optical cable - and the Surround system doesn't do optical (and then I realized it must be an older one because it wasn't blue ray, either). It seems I should get a receiver to fix this and prevent future compatibility problems, rather than find yet another workaound.

Obviously, I'm not a power AV user; I just want to hook all this stuff up and have it work without six remotes and a CAD drawing. Besides the TV, I have a Roku 2XD, U-verse wireless and TV, and the Blue Ray player (fairly new and with HDMI port). I will use the Sony speakers for now, since I don't have a need for throbbing bass or loud sound levels. Mainly I watch TV and movies on this, no video games or game systems.

I think this receiver will work: Onkyo TX-NR515 or TX-NR616 (the 515 apparently has some reliability bug), but the whole 5.1 vs. 7.x has thrown me - will it still play just fine with 5 channels? There's also the Yamaha RX-V473 5.1-Channel that seems well rated and has the ports I think I need.

Any advice on a workable setup that I can use for the next 5+ years would be greatly appreciated. Alternately, if you can tell me where to find local AV experts/stores, that would be great. So far, what I've found is for cars, or they work regular business hours like me and their business seems more like a private office than sales. I hate to even call this a home theater, but it seems those businesses are the next step from Best Buy...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-17-2013, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Many of us have home theaters that are not in dedicated rooms. 5.1 is just fine. You need the right kind of room to add the rear speakers and most content is only 5.1 anyway.

Look for a receiver that has the inputs you need. Most devices use HDMI these days, so you'll want plenty of those.

You'll need to check the Sony speakers, tho. Many HTIBs have 4 ohm speakers and passive subs that should not be used with a standalone receiver.
post #3 of 13 Old 03-17-2013, 11:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 391
According to these specs your Sony speakers are 8 ohms but the subwoofer is passive.
http://store.sony.com/p/DAV-TZ140/en/p/DAVTZ140#specifications

Any standalone receiver will work with the speakers but the sub is a different story. Any current receiver will have at least 4 HDMI inputs so you'll be fine on that matter.

Afro GT
post #4 of 13 Old 03-18-2013, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter

and that would be a gotcha I didn't know. THANKS! So I'm off to research a woofer...
post #5 of 13 Old 03-20-2013, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter

So, how about this for a receiver: Denon AVR-1613 5.1

I can't tell from the specs or view of the back, but I don't see an output for audio, only an input - or maybe with a receiver I don't need it like I do with the Sony Bravia? Also, the speaker connections don't look like the ones I have, that pinch a bare wire. My speakers have wires; can I get a n adapter from Radio Shack or such to apply to the wire that will fit these connectors?

BTW, I've ordered a JBL SUB150P RT subwoofer... you folks are dangerous. smile.gif
post #6 of 13 Old 03-20-2013, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

OK, banana plugs, right?
post #7 of 13 Old 03-20-2013, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

and speaker connections = audio outputs? Sorry for so many questions; I need a flow chart smile.gif
post #8 of 13 Old 03-20-2013, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

The only audio output you would or normally need is the HDMI connection to the display, which carries both video and audio. You'd use it when you want to listen to the TV speakers instead of the surround system speakers.

There are terminals on the back to attach the speakers and an RCA plug to attach the subwoofer.
post #9 of 13 Old 03-25-2013, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

I'm ready to return everything and go back to tv speakers. The Denon AVR-1613 5.1 arrived, but needs an ARC function to work properly with the TV - which doesn't seem to have that. Do AV manufacturers not realize they could sell a lot more stuff if it didn't take 40+ hours of research to put it together?? Just a simple chart of what connections /functions/etc. are needed from one to another would be a huge help. I obviously don't know what questions to ask or what search terms to use to find this info, if it exists. If anyone here can send me links to clear, easy instructions on how to choose that don't include 12 variations, I'd appreciate it. All I want is a decent sound system (decent in layman's terms, not audiophile terms) that works with my TV, BlueRay, Roku; not real loud, for a small room, and not for gaming.
post #10 of 13 Old 03-25-2013, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

ARC is not needed, not ever. It can be used to feed sound from the TV to the receiver if you are using the TV tuner for reception and for sound from Smart Apps. However, you can always run an optical cable from the TV to the receiver instead of using ARC. Optical is simpler and more reliable.

Meanwhile, you probably don't need to worry about that anyway. The usual approach is quite simple. Attach each source device to the Denon receiver. Run a single HDMI cable from the Denon to the TV. Use the selector on the Denon to choose the source you want to watch. The Denon will process the audio and send the video to the TV. This is not really very complicated.

What devices do you have? (Cable box, Blu-ray player, game console, etc?). The manuals should all have the kind of connection diagrams you want to see.
post #11 of 13 Old 03-25-2013, 08:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by terri77 View Post

I'm ready to return everything and go back to tv speakers. The Denon AVR-1613 5.1 arrived, but needs an ARC function to work properly with the TV - which doesn't seem to have that. Do AV manufacturers not realize they could sell a lot more stuff if it didn't take 40+ hours of research to put it together?? Just a simple chart of what connections /functions/etc. are needed from one to another would be a huge help. I obviously don't know what questions to ask or what search terms to use to find this info, if it exists. If anyone here can send me links to clear, easy instructions on how to choose that don't include 12 variations, I'd appreciate it. All I want is a decent sound system (decent in layman's terms, not audiophile terms) that works with my TV, BlueRay, Roku; not real loud, for a small room, and not for gaming.

I own the Denon 1613 and it is very easy to use and set up.

If all you have is a Roku XD, Wireless U-verse with HDMI and a Blu Ray player then all you need is 3 HDMI cables for the inputs and then one more HDMI cable for the output to the TV.

Connect the U-verse box to the CBL/SAT input 1, Blu Ray to the BD input 3 and the Roku to either the DVD or GAME input.

Connect the HDMI OUT from the receiver to your LG TV.

The Denon 1613 has an easy setup guide. You can download it right here.
http://usa.denon.com/DocumentMaster/US/AVR-1613%20Getting%20Started%20Guide.pdf

Afro GT
post #12 of 13 Old 03-30-2013, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry for the outburst; Monday was an interesting day at work (it was announced that the company would be sold) and I didn't have any patience left for the AV stuff. When the setup guide said the TV only got an input from the receiver, it was the last straw - I didn't understand that the receiver handles everything and was still thinking of the TV as handling some stuff, rather than just a monitor.

I finally found a local place that helped me figure this last bit out, bought some more HDMI cables, and got it all set up Thursday. I haven't programmed any remotes to do anything more than default, but the Denon is a godsend. The setup was very easy once it was plugged into the tv, and the picture looks so much better now.

Thank you all for the help.
post #13 of 13 Old 03-31-2013, 03:36 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1108 Post(s)
Liked: 1524
Also note that for additional assistance there is a thread dedicated to Denon AVR-XX13 (ie. 2012 models) Owner's linked in my sig.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Mon - Fri: 10am – 10pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page