Can't figure out why my subwoofer makes a "popping" sound as if it's waking up. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 03-18-2013, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My setup is as follows:

- Denon AVR-3806 (which I'm thinking of upgrading, but I want to make sure this issue won't happen if I were to upgrade)

-Tru-audio in wall speakers and in wall passive subwoofer
The subwoofer is connected to an Audio source AMP100 amp.

So when I'm playing a DVD via the Denon DVD player, I noticed the sub has a noticeable "pop" as if it turns back on from sleep mode. It's fairly obvious, even the wifey notices.
Initially I thought this was because I was playing movies via the Samsung TV Allshare, connected to the receiver via the TV audio output. And figured that signal is 2 channel. BUt it even dows this witht he DVD player.

Background info, the audio equipment came with the house, so I didn't set this up. It's all in the basement, so at times, it's harder to troubleshoot. Everything appears to be correct as far as wiring, wires from receiver to amp, to subwoofer. Not sure what else to check.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-18-2013, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Your description suggests to me that the subwoofer's amplifier is defective. You need to contact its manufacturer about getting it repaired or replaced.

Selden
post #3 of 5 Old 03-18-2013, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

Your description suggests to me that the subwoofer's amplifier is defective. You need to contact its manufacturer about getting it repaired or replaced.

Thanks for the reply. I just downloaded the Audiosource manual, I'll have to go home and check the settings to make sure it's correct. I'll probably give Audiosource a call also, to see if they can suggest anything before I go in the closet to investigate.
post #4 of 5 Old 03-18-2013, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmos17 View Post

So when I'm playing a DVD via the Denon DVD player, I noticed the sub has a noticeable "pop" as if it turns back on from sleep mode. It's fairly obvious, even the wifey notices.

I have had a similar problem, but not as severe. My Definitive Technology sub made a very loud popping noise when I connected it to the power outlet. This happened ONLY when i connected it for the first time. When it wakes up from standby it did not give me any trouble. But if I disconnected it from power and reconnected it - it would do it again.

No big deal, but I called DT and they suggested I read the manual which clearly states this is expected.

Now, my situation is different from yours. Yours makes the noise EVERY time it wakes up. So, I think the other guys are right. The amp is defective.

Thanks.
post #5 of 5 Old 03-18-2013, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter

I just spoke with Audiosource, they said to check and make sure the source is on "line 2 input" (as indicated in the manual), otherwise it'll cut in and out. I hope this is the issue. Now i'll have to loose 20lbs and squeeze into the audio closet!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page