The BIG fat lie of 4K support in AV receivers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 95 Old 03-18-2013, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Is 4K support a priority in your next receiver purchase?

Well, I am afraid that 4K format support nowadays is a joke, if not a lie, from all the AVR brands. Why?

Well, no one can see real 4K/60Hz video from any source decoded outside the TV itself because there is no standard way to deliver uncompressed video at enough framerate to the display. The only way to deliver 4K content to a TV is by sending the compressed stream to a player inside the TV, it will generate the video signal and then the internal data bus of the TV can deliver the high bandwith signal to the screen.

The limitation is imposed by the Current HDMI 1.4 specification. All the devices and high speed cables support up to 3840x2160 24Hz/25Hz/30Hz and only 4096x2160 24Hz. Not even 30Hz in full 4K. So we will have to wait for a new standard before thinking in delivering uncompressed video signal from one appliance to another with an external cable.

The current "4K" standard is not just a new screen resolution. The standard goes also up to 120Hz in framerate. It is funny to read when all the brands say that their receivers support 4K. Yes 4K but at only 24Hz....

When this standard had come into the home systems the standard won't be 24Hz for sure. With HDMI 1.5 (or most probably 2.0 or whatever number) 60Hz is going to be the standard and 120Hz will be the future HQ/3D. So be aware of that supposed 4K upscaling, or even pass through, in your favourite receiver. No receiver at this moment will support the real future 4K standard.

It is really easy to sell something that can not be tested and it is based in just misinformation from all the brands. As users we must be aware, and against, of these dark practices.

Now I ask the same question I did at the beginning of this post:

Is 4K support a priority in your next receiver purchase?

Regards
LarryPana, morbidz and marcman4 like this.

If this post has been useful to you please Thumb it Up!

路路 AV System
Receiver: Pioneer SC-1222K
Spkrs: homemade monitors + Energy Take Classic 5.1
Display: Samsung UN55ES8000
Src: Comcast DVR / Apple TV 3 / Xbox360 slim / HTPC / AirPlay / Pandora / Bluetooth*

*Pre-processor: Noozxoide EIZO-rewire PRO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 95 Old 03-18-2013, 11:28 AM

Liked: 11
So then comes the question, where the f*ck are the new HDMI ?
fleishher likes this.
post #3 of 95 Old 03-18-2013, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Stand-by...
HDMI 1.5 standards are due to be released shortly...

Just my $0.02.... 馃憤馃槈
post #4 of 95 Old 03-18-2013, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by M CodeView Post

Stand-by...
HDMI 1.5 standards are due to be released shortly...

Just my $0.02.... 馃憤馃槈

Yes, the next HDMI standard must be close in time. Anyway no current receiver, all of them HDMI 1.4, is going to be forward compatible with the next standard. The point is that no current receiver is going to be 4K compatible even dough they say they are. Many people are taking into account the advertised 4K upscaling or 4K pass through features of some new receivers, taking them as futureproof features. It is just misleading marketing. Any current 2013 receiver MUST be replaced in order to have a full 4K ready system.

Regards

路路 AV System
Src: Comcast DVR / Apple TV 3 / Xbox360 slim / HTPC / AirPlay / Pandora / Bluetooth*

post #5 of 95 Old 03-18-2013, 10:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I'm waiting for DisplayPort.
post #6 of 95 Old 03-18-2013, 11:05 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Which is exactly why I just bought a Pioneer SC-1222-K for $479 from Newegg.....

I made a comment about this issue in another thread already. I was looking at the Denon 3313CI and a few other AVR's that advertise 4K support. I really wanted a receiver that is as future proof as possible and 4K was on my list of possible things. However, ALL current AVR's only support up to 4K 24hz & 30hz (25hz PAL?) due to the HDMI 1.4(a) spec limits. As the poster above said, the 4K standard will also include 60 & 120hz.

I'll probably get a 4K set once they are available and more affordable so, I figured since I'll be forced to buy a new 4K full feature compatible receiver when the time comes, I may as well save some cash now and get a good class D amp receiver (1080P only) for a great price and save my money for the next inevitable purchase.......

habe
post #7 of 95 Old 03-19-2013, 02:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Nothing in AV can be future proof, you have to be na茂ve or ignorant to believe that.

It's not the first time a CE device doesn't do everything listed in the spec. Is that a lie?

Is it a big fat lie when DVD players sold in the US/Can cannot play 'PAL' 576i50 DVD then, or Blu-ray players not playing PAL DVDs, 1080i50 Blu-ray discs or decode dts-HD MA fully, even these are part of the spec? Or HDTVs that are only 720p or 768p, or TVs that won't display 50i signals or multiples of 24Hz? In the ROW the players and TVs are pretty all dual standard.

Audiosceptics accept audio trials using 25 people. A recent Oxford study with over 353,000 patient records from 639 separate clinical trials shows for every 1,000 people taking diclofenac or ibuprofen there would be 3 additional heart attacks, 4 more cases of heart failure and 1 death every year.

post #8 of 95 Old 03-19-2013, 05:02 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by okibcnView Post

The limitation is imposed by the Current HDMI 1.4 specification.

Just so you know: the following is quoted from Wikipedia...
Quote:
Version 2.0

The HDMI Forum is working on the HDMI 2.0 specification.In a 2012 CES press release HDMI Licensing, LLC stated that the expected release date for the next version of HDMI was the second half of 2012 and that important improvements needed for HDMI include increased bandwidth to allow for higher resolutions and broader video timing support. Longer term goals for HDMI include better support for mobile devices and improved control functions. On January 8, 2013, HDMI Licensing, LLC announced that the next HDMI version is being worked on by the 83 members of the HDMI Forum and that it is expected to be released in the first half of 2013.

Based on HDMI Forum meetings it is expected that HDMI 2.0 will increase the maximum TMDS per channel throughput from 3.4 Gbit/s to 6 Gbit/s which would allow a maximum total TMDS throughput of 18 Gbit/s. This will allow HDMI 2.0 to support 4K resolution at 60 frames per second (fps). Other features that are expected for HDMI 2.0 include support for 4:2:0 chroma subsampling, support for 25 fps 3D formats, improved 3D capability, support for more than 8 channels of audio, support for the HE-AAC and DRA audio standards, dynamic auto lip-sync, and additional CEC functions.
post #9 of 95 Old 03-19-2013, 06:20 AM

This is really interesting... I'm in the market for a new receiver right now as my Onkyo 3007 just got plauged by the HDMI board failure issue and they won't cover my out of warranty unit. So what do I do? Do I buy a Pioneer 1222-k off Newegg only to have to replace it in a few months when HDMI 2.0 is realeased or do I go receiver-less for the next few months and wait?
post #10 of 95 Old 03-19-2013, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by habeView Post

Which is exactly why I just bought a Pioneer SC-1222-K for $479 from Newegg.....

I made a comment about this issue in another thread already. I was looking at the Denon 3313CI and a few other AVR's that advertise 4K support. I really wanted a receiver that is as future proof as possible and 4K was on my list of possible things. However, ALL current AVR's only support up to 4K 24hz & 30hz (25hz PAL?) due to the HDMI 1.4(a) spec limits. As the poster above said, the 4K standard will also include 60 & 120hz.

I'll probably get a 4K set once they are available and more affordable so, I figured since I'll be forced to buy a new 4K full feature compatible receiver when the time comes, I may as well save some cash now and get a good class D amp receiver (1080P only) for a great price and save my money for the next inevitable purchase.......

habe

I just checked Newegg and the price is $549, did it go up since you bought it?
post #11 of 95 Old 03-19-2013, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilian.caView Post

Nothing in AV can be future proof, you have to be na茂ve or ignorant to believe that.

It's not the first time a CE device doesn't do everything listed in the spec. Is that a lie?

Is it a big fat lie when DVD players sold in the US/Can cannot play 'PAL' 576i50 DVD then, or Blu-ray players not playing PAL DVDs, 1080i50 Blu-ray discs or decode dts-HD MA fully, even these are part of the spec? Or HDTVs that are only 720p or 768p, or TVs that won't display 50i signals or multiples of 24Hz? In the ROW the players and TVs are pretty all dual standard.

The 800lb pink gorilla of a difference though is that those devices (the vast majority that I've seen, anyway) are not marketed/advertised/presented/however-you-want-to-phrase-it to do so (yep, I think the current avrs are presented to be compatible with 4k media including future TELEVISION BROADCASTS). I'm not really to argue about it...I believe most reasonable people can make the distinction.

For me, just another reason to wait for this fall's PREPROS/AVRs...although I'm a bit timid that they'll have it/be doing it right in 5 months as the first wave are already being announced without any new HDMI spec.

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

post #12 of 95 Old 03-19-2013, 07:50 AM

Quote:

Nope, not ignorant or naive.

I fully understand that nothing in any electronics purchase is ever future proof. My decision was all about the pocket book. I was just about to pull the trigger on a Denon 3313Ci for $900. Since I don't have a 4K set right now, I bought a Pioneer SC-1222-K for $479 which was about half of what I intended on spending. I may have to buy a 4K receiver with the next HDMI standard in a year or so as to get better/full 4K compatibility but, I saved close to $500 in the immediate on a AVR that will do what I need for now.

If the Denon or any other current AVR supported full 4K standard, I would have spent the extra cash now........
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMorishView Post

They had the price last week at $529 shipped plus, there was a V.me sign-up promotion that gave you another $50 off. That promo was supposed to end on March 21st but, Newegg supposedly ended it early (from what I read on another site).

habe
post #13 of 95 Old 03-19-2013, 07:58 AM

Quote:

Nope, not ignorant or naive.

I fully understand that nothing in any electronics purchase is ever future proof. My decision was all about the pocket book. I was just about to pull the trigger on a Denon 3313Ci for $900. Since I don't have a 4K set right now, I bought a Pioneer SC-1222-K for $479 which was about half of what I intended on spending. I may have to buy a 4K receiver with the next HDMI standard in a year or so as to get better/full 4K compatibility but, I saved close to $500 in the immediate on a AVR that will do what I need for now.

If the Denon or any other current AVR supported full 4K standard, I would have spent the extra cash now........
They had the price last week at $529 shipped plus, there was a V.me sign-up promotion that gave you another $50 off. That promo was supposed to end on March 21st but, Newegg supposedly ended it early (from what I read on another site).

habe

It was $371 shipped open box near the beginning of the month. Bought one and other than two small scratches on the underside of the unit, it's in new condition.

post #14 of 95 Old 03-19-2013, 08:01 AM

Liked: 150
What 4k content is there that is about 24Hz?
post #15 of 95 Old 03-19-2013, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

However, ALL current AVR's only support up to 4K 24hz & 30hz (25hz PAL?) due to the HDMI 1.4(a) spec limits.

Nope, current HDMI specs covers up to 24Hz (film framerate) at 4K, no 30Hz or 25Hz.

BTW, good choice that Pioneer SC-1222K. I bough one last year and it is the receiver with the best value I've ever had.

Regards.

路路 AV System

post #16 of 95 Old 03-19-2013, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewFGView Post

Just so you know: the following is quoted from Wikipedia...

Yes, and I know that the current draft is not considering all the 4K modes. They are leaving out all the 120Hz modes and 60Hz 3D. They (the same brands that sells all these electronics) are "building a highway" but it is better to have something that lasts only 3-5 years so they could change again the standard and force everyone to buy new devices. In this case it is not a technical limitation but a programmed obsolescence of the standard itself.

Regards

路路 AV System

post #17 of 95 Old 03-19-2013, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

The DVD spec was also specifing regions, and formats can be linked to regions, this is why a US DVD players can not play PAL DVDs. It is a limitation described in the standard by the movie distributors. Of course you can hack that DVD player using service menu, patched firmware or whatever to play PAL DVDs. There are region free players too, but all of them, locked or unlocked meet the DVD specifications, otherwise they will not be certified.

I started this thread to warn those no geek but audiophile people (not naive, not ignorant) who think that buying a 4K ready receiver will make them use it for 4K blu-rays with the future 4K screen and that will NOT happen with any current receiver. By the way, new blu-ray video standard must be released supporting 4K media before that happens because there isn't a current standard for 4K video blu-ray yet.

I am not talking about hacking into the firmware and get more that the specifications from a device. It is usual in smartphones, PC overclocking, TVs, car ECU, etc... but you must be a geek to do that and the average buyer of AV receivers is not. By the way, do not count on a firmware patch for current receivers, that has not happened in the past and is not going to happen, that would jeopardize their new receivers sales.

Regards

路路 AV System

post #18 of 95 Old 03-19-2013, 10:23 AM

Quote:

The DVD spec was also specifing regions, and formats can be linked to regions, this is why a US DVD players can not play PAL DVDs. It is a limitation described in the standard by the movie distributors. Of course you can hack that DVD player using service menu, patched firmware or whatever to play PAL DVDs. There are region free players too, but all of them, locked or unlocked meet the DVD specifications, otherwise they will not be certified.

I started this thread to warn those no geek but audiophile people (not naive, not ignorant) who think that buying a 4K ready receiver will make them use it for 4K blu-rays with the future 4K screen and that will NOT happen with any current receiver. By the way, new blu-ray video standard must be released supporting 4K media before that happens because there isn't a current standard for 4K video blu-ray yet.

I am not talking about hacking into the firmware and get more that the specifications from a device. It is usual in smartphones, PC overclocking, TVs, car ECU, etc... but you must be a geek to do that and the average buyer of AV receivers is not. By the way, do not count on a firmware patch for current receivers, that has not happened in the past and is not going to happen, that would jeopardize their new receivers sales.

Regards

So let me get this straight... no matter what companies like Marantz, Pioneer and others say about their products being able to do 4K passthrough, it's just not going to be possible with their receivers at all? Nothing? Nada?

What's the point of promoting it if it is useless to new TV's featuring 4K in the coming years?

Again, I'm in the market right now for a new receiver, not because I wanted to buy a new one but because I have to buy a new one, and the new offerings from Marantz and Pioneer look like a good choice because of the advertised 4K passthrough. If this is the case and these receivers will be completely obsolete in a few years when I decide to upgrade my 1080p Panasonic G25 to whatever 4K, I might as well buy something cheap and upgrade my receiver then as well. Man, that Pioneer SC-1222-k from Newegg is looking better and better at this point...
Napoleon D likes this.
post #19 of 95 Old 03-19-2013, 11:23 AM

What 4k content is there that is about 24Hz? Will 4k BluRays stop using the normal 24Hz they currently use?
post #20 of 95 Old 03-19-2013, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 177
I have brought up this "ever evolving" HDMI crap for just what it is to me...crap- and I've got pounded into oblivion by every hdmi apologist (seemingly employed by AVR manus and hdmi board members) in existence for "not understanding the technology".

Yeah, sure...whatever helps you sleep at night. The fact of the matter is that after such wonderful advances such as top-flight room correction, multi-zone capability, streaming ability, and just about every other weapon any A/V could ask for, the "reinvention" of the hdmi standard has become the MVP in forcing the consumers hand to purchase new gear to become, wait for it, "current".

Makes you wanna puke in your soup.

But, go figure. It's evolution, baby. rolleyes.gif

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

post #21 of 95 Old 03-19-2013, 02:34 PM

Quote:

Nope, current HDMI specs covers up to 24Hz (film framerate) at 4K, no 30Hz or 25Hz.

BTW, good choice that Pioneer SC-1222K. I bough one last year and it is the receiver with the best value I've ever had.

Regards.

arghhhh... Your're right and I knew that about only up to 24hz support with HDMI 1.4(a). I was in a hurry to get out of the house when I wrote my post and mistakenly included 25&30hz.....

Display port may be the go-to technology as it will currently drive up to 3840 脳 2160 脳 30 bpp @ 60 Hz. IIRC, there will be a new DP spec coming out as well as dual DP which will drive the set with 2 cables...... Whatever happens, it's going to be just like HD DVD vs Bluray all over again.
post #22 of 95 Old 03-19-2013, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

So let me get this straight... no matter what companies like Marantz, Pioneer and others say about their products being able to do 4K passthrough, it's just not going to be possible with their receivers at all? Nothing? Nada?

What's the point of promoting it if it is useless to new TV's featuring 4K in the coming years?

Again, I'm in the market right now for a new receiver, not because I wanted to buy a new one but because I have to buy a new one, and the new offerings from Marantz and Pioneer look like a good choice because of the advertised 4K passthrough. If this is the case and these receivers will be completely obsolete in a few years when I decide to upgrade my 1080p Panasonic G25 to whatever 4K, I might as well buy something cheap and upgrade my receiver then as well. Man, that Pioneer SC-1222-k from Newegg is looking better and better at this point...

I really doubt that any patch would be possible for any current 4K receivers to be compatible with the future standard, same happens for any other 4K appliance, even current 4K TVs will be obsolete in a few months when the final HDMI 2.0 standard had been released. Do you remember the first Plasma screens? there were no HDMI at that time and all them had a big box with a huge cable in order to deliver the signal to the screen. Then DVI was there for a short time and finally HDMI became the standard. DP came later from VESA as a royalty free alternative to HDMI. Any TV prior to HDMI became obsolete in just a few months. Same is going to happen with current 4K devices.

The new HDMI standard has to modify the signal clocking from the current standard. the PLL circuit inside the receiver should be able to lock into a higher clock signal in order to be able to read any data. In case the hardware of current receivers was powerful enough to meet the new requirements, it is very difficult that they could adapt any current firmware to a complete new standard in a short time. So do not count on that, they'll gonna release a new model with new features.

You can buy a 4K receiver today limited to only the lowest 4K video mode. At the time you could buy a 4K TV and a 4K blue-ray, any medium receiver will give you the features of the mid-high receiver that you are willing to buy today... adding the full 4K support.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsageView Post

What 4k content is there that is about 24Hz? Will 4k BluRays stop using the normal 24Hz they currently use?

Yes, there will be 24Hz 4K blu-rays, but there will also be 30Hz, 50Hz and 60Hz 4K blu-rays. I am sure that you wouldn't like to be stuck with only 4K 24Hz blu-rays. Do not forget 3D... there will be 4K 3D @ 30Hz under HDMI 2.0 but there is no 3D mode support at 4K resolution in the current HDMI specification. But, Hey! wait a moment... we are talking about a blu-ray standard that hasn't been released yet. After the specification release you must give a few months to the manufacturer to engineer a new player, manufacture it and distribute it to reach your favorite electronics shop. For sure we are not going to see 4K really arriving sooner than spring 2014.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybeView Post

I have brought up this "ever evolving" HDMI crap for just what it is to me...crap- and I've got pounded into oblivion by every hdmi apologist (seemingly employed by AVR manus and hdmi board members) in existence for "not understanding the technology".

Yeah, sure...whatever helps you sleep at night. The fact of the matter is that after such wonderful advances such as top-flight room correction, multi-zone capability, streaming ability, and just about every other weapon any A/V could ask for, the "reinvention" of the hdmi standard has become the MVP in forcing the consumers hand to purchase new gear to become, wait for it, "current".

Makes you wanna puke in your soup.

But, go figure. It's evolution, baby. rolleyes.gif

James

HDMI is a mess, too many brands and interests. The result is a poorly described specification with a lot of holes. The point here is that there is no 4K certification like HDMI, DTS, etc. and they can advertise their product as 4K compliant even when they only support the lowest of the lower 4K modes. Yes, the support that resolution but only barely.

This story is always the same. In 5-8 years we will be living the same transition to 8K modes, offering 4K products with bare 8K support so they could advertise them as 8K products.

Regards

路路 AV System

post #23 of 95 Old 03-19-2013, 03:30 PM

Quote:

Yes, there will be 24Hz 4K blu-rays, but there will also be 30Hz, 50Hz and 60Hz 4K blu-rays. I am sure that you wouldn't like to be stuck with only 4K 24Hz blu-rays. Do not forget 3D... there will be 4K 3D @ 30Hz under HDMI 2.0 but there is no 3D mode support at 4K resolution in the current HDMI specification. But, Hey! wait a moment... we are talking about a blu-ray standard that hasn't been released yet. After the specification release you must give a few months to the manufacturer to engineer a new player, manufacture it and distribute it to reach your favorite electronics shop. For sure we are not going to see 4K really arriving sooner than spring 2014.
HDMI is a mess, too many brands and interests. The result is a poorly described specification with a lot of holes. The point here is that there is no 4K certification like HDMI, DTS, etc. and they can advertise their product as 4K compliant even when they only support the lowest of the lower 4K modes. Yes, the support that resolution but only barely.

This story is always the same. In 5-8 years we will be living the same transition to 8K modes, offering 4K products with bare 8K support so they could advertise them as 8K products.

Regards

That was basically what I was getting at. smile.gif
post #24 of 95 Old 03-20-2013, 12:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybeView Post

The 800lb pink gorilla of a difference though is that those devices (the vast majority that I've seen, anyway) are not marketed/advertised/presented/however-you-want-to-phrase-it to do so (yep, I think the current avrs are presented to be compatible with 4k media including future TELEVISION BROADCASTS). I'm not really to argue about it...I believe most reasonable people can make the distinction.

The distinction is not real. Where do you see players and TVs marketed/presented/advertised specifically as NTSC only? If all people are aware of this why are some complaining or asking why their players/TVs can't play 50i (region free) discs they've imported?

Out of curiosity, where do you come across this claim about 'compatible with future TV broadcasts'? I'd like to read the actual wording/claim.smile.gif
Quote:

The limitation set by the movie industry is only for region coding (which wasn't what I was referring to before), not the PAL/NTSC format as such. Your comments don't explain why in 'PAL' countries in Europe and Asia the players and TVs are dual standard out of the factory, irrespective of region restrictions.
Quote:

That is valid warning but this isn't ONLY about AVRs and 4k, but also new HDMI standards (perhaps another new transmission standard), new BD standards and new TVs for full 4k too. You better warn people in the BDP and TV forums too!
Quote:

You can buy a 4K receiver today limited to only the lowest 4K video mode.

I suppose IF current AVRs are clearly marketed as 4k 24p support then everyone is happy because it's marketed only for this and promises nothing else, not future proof.
Quote:

Yes, there will be 24Hz 4K blu-rays, but there will also be 30Hz, 50Hz and 60Hz 4K blu-rays. I am sure that you wouldn't like to be stuck with only 4K 24Hz blu-rays. Do not forget 3D... there will be 4K 3D @ 30Hz under HDMI 2.0 but there is no 3D mode support at 4K resolution in the current HDMI specification.

There isn't 30Hz 2k 2D Blu-rays not so I'm not so sure about 30Hz 4k 2D. Again, we'll be back to the US devices not supporting 50Hz 4k issue.wink.gif
Quote:

No disagreement here, as I said before it's not the first time either, kind of d茅j脿 vu so not such a piece of ground-breaking news so dramatic depicted in the thread title.wink.gif

Audiosceptics accept audio trials using 25 people. A recent Oxford study with over 353,000 patient records from 639 separate clinical trials shows for every 1,000 people taking diclofenac or ibuprofen there would be 3 additional heart attacks, 4 more cases of heart failure and 1 death every year.

post #25 of 95 Old 03-20-2013, 07:29 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:

... no matter what companies like Marantz, Pioneer and others say about their products being able to do 4K passthrough, it's just not going to be possible with their receivers at all? Nothing? Nada?

It probably depends on how they implement "pass through" wink.gif

If the pass through really consists of a physical wire (or relay) joining the HDMI input pin to the corresponding HDMI output pin, then one might reasonably assume that whatever new format or speed of bit data came in, would simply be, well, passed through...

However if the pass through entails the signal actually being sampled by one of the reciever's input chips, and then being regurgitated by one of its output chips, then there is much more lieklyhood that one or other of the respective chips won't be able to hack it...
post #26 of 95 Old 03-20-2013, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

That is valid warning but this isn't ONLY about AVRs and 4k, but also new HDMI standards (perhaps another new transmission standard), new BD standards and new TVs for full 4k too. You better warn people in the BDP and TV forums too!

I suppose IF current AVRs are clearly marketed as 4k 24p support then everyone is happy because it's marketed only for this and promises nothing else, not future proof.

As I said in my previous post, "same happens for any other 4K appliance, even current 4K TVs will be obsolete in a few months when the final HDMI 2.0 standard had been released". Yes, maybe someone should post the same warning in the TV forums too. I decided to post it here since many people is taking the 4K support a a key feature for a receiver purchase when any device you buy this year must be replaced to support the future 4K standard, even those that say that are 4K compatible should be replaced. And see that no manufacturer is clearly marketing that only 4K 24Hz 2D is supported. They probably specify that inside the user manual, I do not know.

Best regards

PS: I am also an ex-50Hz wink.gif

路路 AV System

post #27 of 95 Old 03-20-2013, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewFGView Post

It probably depends on how they implement "pass through" wink.gif

If the pass through really consists of a physical wire (or relay) joining the HDMI input pin to the corresponding HDMI output pin, then one might reasonably assume that whatever new format or speed of bit data came in, would simply be, well, passed through...

However if the pass through entails the signal actually being sampled by one of the reciever's input chips, and then being regurgitated by one of its output chips, then there is much more lieklyhood that one or other of the respective chips won't be able to hack it...

Even if pass through is implemented with a continuous physical circuit, radio emissions can occur at another frequency. The devices are tested at the working frequency so a pass through at 680MHz may be a complete open circuit at 1.02Ghz, even in a continuous physical wire. Radiation may occur and it may happen at non working frequencies. This is why a device is certified by the FCC to be working under specific conditions, specific frequencies. I do not see possible that any HDMI 1.4 circuitry was going to be HDMI 2.0 compliant. All those devices should go through the EMI FCC certification again to be certified under new working frequencies, and that is not going to happen.

Regards

路路 AV System

post #28 of 95 Old 03-21-2013, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

Umm I think you answered your own question. Or was it not obvious? lol
post #29 of 95 Old 05-27-2013, 03:02 PM

Liked: 10
This is depressing. I literally just spent weeks drilling down on specs to the new Onkyo TX-NR929 or the soon to be announced Integra DTR-50.5....... only to find that both would be hamstrung to 4k 24hz! The whole "4k passthrough" spec is completely misleading. It's like building a highway tunnel "for all", only to arrive at the entrance to find that it only allows motorcycles to pass. Bleh. Guess I'm stuck with my 20 Harmony clicks to switch inputs via IR-bridge and 4-way HDMI splitter. Hope my marriage survives until Spring 2014 confused.gif
post #30 of 95 Old 05-27-2013, 05:59 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 68
I'm guessing hdmi 1.5 will be coming out with the PS4
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Pioneer Sc 1222 7 2 Channel Network Ready Av Receiver , Onkyo Tx Nr3007 140 Watts 9 2 Channel Av Surround Home Network Receiver Black , Pioneer Vsx 1122 K , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver
Gear in this thread