Pioneer 1019 distorting picture on my TV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 03-18-2013, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey rare poster here, more of a lurker. I'm not an expert by any means, so I thought I'd give it a shot and see if anyone can help a newbie out please. Used this forum to help me decide on a pioneer 5.1 speaker system and helped to get it set up as well.

I have a Pioneer VSX-1019AH-K receiver that I bought back in 2009 or 2010, I can look it up from Amazon to see exactly when if needed. Recently I kinda suddenly noticed the picture was being discolored, especially in the red range. At first I thought it was the TV or the HDMI cable, but I hooked everything directly to the TV and it works fine. What I had was my Time Warner cable HD-DVR, Xbox 360, PS3, and TV all running to the receiver. Now all of a sudden the picture has been messing up, it looks red and pixilated (spelling I know) is the best I can think to describe it. I can take a picture and try to upload it if that helps.

Any advice on how to proceed from here? I know it's not a top of the line receiver, but I'm on a teachers budget and hate to just go out and buy a new one if its something I can fix.

Thanks in advance for any information you can give me. If it is dead.....lets hope its not though....any advice on a good replacement would be welcome as well. I try to go with a good mid-line level on a lot of stuff as I don't get into messing with many settings and just want good sound and picture mainly with a potential to grow and do more down the road if I learn more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-18-2013, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

Another thought, can i hook up all my stuff to the TV and then just have the receiver run audio?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
post #3 of 12 Old 03-18-2013, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
its unlikely to directly caused by your receiver... more likely a "finger problem" as in settings and / or the type of interconnections that you are using.... which you didn't really specify.
post #4 of 12 Old 03-18-2013, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry, wasn't sure what all to put. I had the DVR hooked up using 5 RCA component cables, everything else was using HDMI cables.

post #5 of 12 Old 03-18-2013, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
OK... well then the obvious is the settings that are involved in converting the "RGB components" to hdmi outputs... there are some settings associated with that. Further, pixelation is usually an issue with conversion (ie. encoding) not something that is "hdmi ish". You probably need to look at things a bit closer.... checking what IS and what ISN'T happening for various inputs and outputs including settings...... OR you could just "go with the flow" of nature and try upgrading if that's got your desire (i.e looking for an "excuse")... :-)
post #6 of 12 Old 03-18-2013, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 594 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Easy way is run DVR direct to TV over HDMI . By pass the Pioneer video wise. Use HDMI out from DVR to TV and coax or toslink out from TV to your Pioneer for audio .

If you only have 2 HDMI input on TV get a 3 or 4 port HDMI switcher about $10-$20 and hook up Your PS3 and Xbox
into that then to TV if your TV has 3 or 4 HDMI inputs you are good .

Just use component cables for DVD to TV unless Only way you can get full 1080i/p to to your TV is HDMI anyway.
If you use the PS3 as your DVD and blue ray player and don't use a stand alone DVD player/changer then it's time to retire the component cables .

The less or no converting or scaling done outside the source or the TV or DVR is almost always better . You can probably set your DVR to output 1080i or 720p 16x9 in your HD setup menu depending on your TV and also depending if your TV or DVR has a better scaler or which just which ever setting looks better to you.

I have 3 TV's direct HDMI from DVR /STB
to TV and separate audio connects keeps the signal path cleaner.
PC and PS3 are also HDMI , 2 sets have DVD with component to TV .

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
post #7 of 12 Old 03-18-2013, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

Well I'd love to upgrade...but now isn't the time. Having to put in a new septic tank and new tires on my truck and my wife's car.

I believe it was still discolored when connecting my xbox with an hdmi

post #8 of 12 Old 03-18-2013, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks tube, will I notice any difference in audio that way?

post #9 of 12 Old 03-20-2013, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Audio should be fine .

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
post #10 of 12 Old 03-20-2013, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks again. I have 4 HDMI inputs on my TV. If I run my DVR, PS3, and Xbox to my TV and run an optical cable out to my receiver it should play all sound through my speaker system correct?

Still curious what might be causing the picture to produce messed up color when ran through my receiver.... I may have to get a new receiver to test it out.... biggrin.gif Any input on a reliable receiver with good sound that doesn't break the bank? I don't want to just get something cheap....but I also don't want to drop a ton of cash on it either if something cheaper will still produce great sound for games and movies.
post #11 of 12 Old 03-22-2013, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

The audio out from the TV should sound fine if you use coax or optical out i's the same as HDMI Ones and Zero's
As to why the receiver is affecting the video I don't know maybe there is a sub menu or service menu in the receiver that can fix that.

I'm of the opinion that video should go direct from the source to the display if you have enough inputs if not HDMI switchers are cheap
or if they do go through a receiver video processing / up scaling should be bypassed do that at the source or display.
The new Pioneer SC1222k looks pretty good about $750 on online it uses the Pioneer D3 amp modules a derivative of the very good
Bang and Olufsen ICE amps that Pioneer previously used in the Elite line . B&O Ice amp modules are found in some very expensive high end equipment these days.
The Pioneer 1122k and the 1123K aren't bad at their price points either.

post #12 of 12 Old 03-25-2013, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks hub, you made me feel better about the current way I have it routed. I wasn't sure if it was better to route everything through the receiver or just let the TV do it. I have 4 HDMI inputs on my TV so that's enough to handle my devices. I use my PS3 for my blu-ray and DVD player, Xbox 360, DVR, and the Wii I only have hooked up by RCA cables.

I'll take a look into the other receiver you mentioned, but I will probably put it on the back burner if the optical cable works for me.

Thanks again for all the input from everyone!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page